Final Colston Hall, Bristol show - Doug Vrs Jonny!

WhizzKid

exvept those guys like Doug and Jonny who are nationally famous through FWA etc...

That comment is very subjective, I first heard of Doug through Hammerlock, UWA and UCW, same really for Jonny and Jody. If you really think they made their name with their (on average) 12 gigs a year for FWA in my opinion you are very mistaken.
Yeah, I heard of both Doug and Jonny through All-Star. ~King Koyote~

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Translation:Colston Hall has a couple of thousand seats in it. All Star draws about 150 every month. So now they're moving to a dodgy leisure centre somewhere.We're advertising Doug Williams V Jonny Storm, but it probably won't happen. Please come!Also: Marty Jones is wrestling! We can't get away with calling it a retirement match any more, as he's had several million of them, so we'll go 'It might be his last match!' in order to entice some suckers through the door...

just like Hollywood Hogan used to say to Eric Bischoff when they entered the arena "I love this man! mmwahh (kiss)" :D

I've also heard rumour from one person that the run in the Fairfield Halls in Croydon is on its last legs too, probably for the same reason.

I wouldn't say that is true, as All-Star have booked the Halls for the whole of next year, and have two shows there in January, with just over a week between them. The crowd fetches 200-250 each month, which is lower than other years, but as has been said before, the popularity of wrestling in general has decreased, unfortunately.~King Koyote~

Anything levelled at All Star can be levelled at most other promotions.

Not advertising dead people... as far as I know that's always been the preserve of Dixon. And tributes? Yes, other people do use them, like Oric, but that doesn't make them right...

200 to 300 fans turn up at the Colston Hall now

Hahaha. Try 100 to 250...

All Star put on a good show month after month and that's what a good wrestling fan wants.

They don't put on a good show month after month. That's why they're in trouble and vacating big halls for small ones. That's the whole point.

and despite what you say, the FWA get a similar figure at there Broxbourne shows these days.

Broxbourne has a capacity of 350 or so. Broxbourne FWA shows draw 300-350+.Colston Hall has a capacity of a couple of thousand, and draw 200ish. Do you see?

The crowd fetches 200-250 each month, which is lower than other years, but as has been said before, the popularity of wrestling in general has decreased, unfortunately.

So wrestling is less popular now in the UK than in 1995? Edited by NewportMoj

All Star have two shows in Croydon in January, with just over a week between them.

Actually, there is the one on the sunday, and then another just 2 days later on the tuesday. Lucky locals.Also, The Adder - apologies accepted, that does make more sense.

Edited by The Dart

So wrestling is less popular now in the UK than in 1995?

Erm...as far as live attendances, probably yes. The WWE aren't selling out live shows in the UK as they did then and in 1995 there were more of them.A lot of UK attendances were considered low at around 300 for a show when now this is seen as a good turnout.

Not advertising dead people... as far as I know that's always been the preserve of Dixon. And tributes? Yes, other people do use them, like Oric, but that doesn't make them right...
As has been discussed before no dead wrestler has been advertised. Just a picture of a wrestler who appeared on a previous tour along with all the other wrestlers who appeared on the previous tour. Dixon uses the odd tribute and we've discussed this before that this is not a bad thing when used moderately they are an acceptable addition to a card. We've also pointed out that your beloved FWA even use 'em in everything but name.
Hahaha. Try 100 to 250...
I've actually had a count of audiences this season because I know this one would come up and they've never been anywhere near 100. Always 250 or more. It's funny because you used to come on here and quote 200 people when the crowds were much bigger than they've been this season. It's another example of you down playing another promoter's success.
They don't put on a good show month after month. That's why they're in trouble and vacating big halls for small ones. That's the whole point.
If you know what you're talking about (which you obviously don't), wrestling moving out of the Colston Hall has nothing to do with the promoter. I, and most fans, know the shows are good hence you get an audience of 250 plus turning up every 3 weeks. Just because you don't like it - not enough balcony jumps for you I guess - just shows that you just want a tv product rather than an actual wrestling one.
Broxbourne has a capacity of 350 or so. Broxbourne FWA shows draw 300-350+.
As has been said earlier the Colston Hall audiences NOW, when wrestling as a live product is at a low and All Star are still drawing 250 crowds every few weeks. Broxbourne is a 350 seater is it, well I've heard that recent shows have had a fair few empty seats, so attendences are roughly the same. It's sad but true. Surely if you can blame the dropping attendance figures for All Star on their product, you'll have to do the same for every UK promotion right now.
So wrestling is less popular now in the UK than in 1995?
As has been pointed out earlier, I think it is less popular as a live entertainment. Entertainment has come on so much over the past 8 years. We have so much choice now for entertainment that a wrestling show at your local hall is likely to be less of a draw to the casual fan (which is the main wrestling audience) than it was as little as 8 years ago.
Edited by WhizzKid

That picture on that poster is 2 years old!!!I know who everyone in that picture is, except the guy in the top right, can anyone help with that?Also......can someone please assure me I'm not the only one who can see a pair of knockers on Allstar's website.....check it out:right here

Yes, I thought I recognised the picture, it is on the back of one of my programmes! The guy on the right is Michelle Star, a very humourous bi-sexual gimmick. I also saw Luna's tits on the site, made me laugh. 'All-Star, a promotion for the whole family!' :p ~King Koyote~

Broxbourne has a capacity of 350 or so. Broxbourne FWA shows draw 300-350+.Colston Hall has a capacity of a couple of thousand, and draw 200ish. Do you see?

I beg to differ with both of these points, Mr Moj.Firstly , The Broxbourne Civic Centre Can Hold around 550 people with our set up, that includes people on the stage. I can let you know that when we moved on to Sectional Seating we lost around 70 Chairs. So at worst it can hold 450 seats with the FWA set up. I think you can ask an unbiased Strong Style About that, I believe his first show was over 500 as I recall.Colston Hall is a huge Venue, with only 150 fans it would be very sparse indeed. Last time a worked there, a few months back I would say there was 300-350 in there and they were pretty loud and a fairly decent crowd (the American Dragon/Storm ladder match was awesomely loud)The other thing I would point out, because a fan of the FWA is critical of other promotions, maybe blindly critical in some cases, why do you same guys feel the need to slag of the FWA itself? Its very hypocitial to be honest. Anyway......

Firstly , The Broxbourne Civic Centre Can Hold around 550 people with our set up, that includes people on the stage. I can let you know that when we moved on to Sectional Seating we lost around 70 Chairs. So at worst it can hold 450 seats with the FWA set up. I think you can ask an unbiased Strong Style About that, I believe his first show was over 500 as I recall.

Shit, really? Because I remember somebody wrote a big article/post about setting up a Broxbourne event, and counted up the chairs to the exact amount, and it came to 356 or something like that... as ever, could be wrong though.

Last time a worked there, a few months back I would say there was 300-350 in there and they were pretty loud and a fairly decent crowd (the American Dragon/Storm ladder match was awesomely loud)

Meh, guesses. A year previous, they had a *lot* more people in for Jake Roberts than was there on the AmDrag/Storm night, and that was only reported as 350 in Gong (or Weekly Pro, I forget which)... I don't know if you noticed, but there's an entire balcony section that's unused... plus, weren't you too busy stretching Aviv lots to count the crowd? I, not having to fight for my life inside a ring, had plenty of time to guestimate the attendance...And yes, for AmDrag/Storm the crowd were intense, and into the match, and it sounded like a thousand people because the match ruled, and in addition had a great finish, and I hate American Dragon because he ran away with the belt like a cunt, but then they advertised AmDrag/Relic for next month, which didn't happen. If every show had a match like that (not necessarily a ladder match, but decent action which the crowd are into that doesn't involve Relic flubbing snapmares and vertical suplexes) on it, I'd complain less. If every show had a match like that on it, which was then followed up on with matches which advance the story, I'd hardly complain at all. See? But they have good things like that, and then follow it up with what you might call a 'b' show, with tributes and matches which seem as if they were picked out of the Battlebowl tumbler. This confuses the regular fans, who had been promised Match X last month, seen Matches Y and Z advertised in the local press, and then get Card T (containing matches A B C and D). They then don't bother going next month, and over time this means that All Star have to leave their centrally positioned legendary hall with lots of chairs and a nice but dilapidated 'feel', and go to some pokey leisure centre in some trading estate with a vastly lower capacity, while the rumours that they're in trouble with the leisure group running all the halls swirl about like a scary, business-murdering fog. Yes. Edited by NewportMoj

Hmmm Luna's chest, just what I wanted to see right after my lunch! :duh: Anyway I do have to agree about the constant stalling at All Star shows. I went to the last one in Telford and the first bout stands out in my mind not for the wrestling but for the amount of time it took for Kid Kool and the Brooklyn Brawler to start wrestling! First off the Brawler took about five minutes to stop taunting the crowd and let Kid kool be introduced which I suppose would have been fair enough if Kid Kool hadn't have taken another five minutes to get to the ring. The the Brawler gets out the ring and walks round it for what seemed like ages after the bell had rung and the ref didn't even look like he'd heard of the ten count let alone when to use it! The show started promptly at 8pm, the first bout was over at 8.35pm because of all the stalling.Apart from that it was a good show!~Cherry, xxx

The other thing I would point out, because a fan of the FWA is critical of other promotions, maybe blindly critical in some cases, why do you same guys feel the need to slag of the FWA itself? Its very hypocitial to be honest.

People tend to not slag off the FWA, just point out the things that the odd FWA fan might be critical about one promotion can be found everywhere including on an FWA show. If you tend to follow these threads, it usually starts with me giving some news about a show in the UK that isn't promoted by one of you guys and Moj just comed on and slags it off. The truth is that a lot of people go to shows for the wrestling product and find that there are many great promoters out there whose product is every bit as strong as the FWA and can see how "blind" as you put it some people are.As for Moj, you constantly complain that the bill isn't as advertised but half the time you, and Seph, quote things that weren't billed anyway. You go to most 'house shows' in the world these days and you're not sure what the card is. You didn't know what most of the card was the last time the FWA went to Newport I recall. You always get a good show and that's why there are so many regulars who never miss a show. Even to someone like you, the fact that the likes of Doug Williams, Jonny Storm, James Mason, Marty Jannetty, Flash Barker, Jody Fleisch, etc have all appeared on Colston Hall shows over the last couple of seasons when they weren't even billed seems point towards the best talent available in the country constantly being used on these shows. The fact that a great wrestler suddenly doesn't become so great when they are appearing for All Star tells us more about your sad tiresome bias than anything else. You can't seem to cope with any promotion that deals with wrestling matches as opposed to making everything just a version of televison wrestling.