Jump to content

Recommended Posts

Posted
11 hours ago, FTR2020 said:

Yeah that is fair enough. Wrestling helped me a lot with my mental health issues so I get it. 

I just thought it might be good to have a gimmick that represents people like that in wrestling to maybe help them think that they aint the only one who suffers with depression etc.

I know I'm not the only one who suffers with it.

It's a nice idea in theory but seeing someone in wrestling who struggles with depression is not needed. It won't help me or you. 

What will help is escaping from that hell for a few hours by watching things that have nothing to do with depression, such as pro wrestling. 🙂 

  • Paid Members
Posted

Hangman dealing with anxieties and self-doubt was probably the most delicately told story about mental health issues not only that wrestling has ever managed, but maybe that it's even possible to manage in wrestling. Presenting Lio Rush, in this gimmick, as someone with mental health issues is just saying, "look at this weird little freak, he's crazy", it would be like asking for Festus or George "The Animal" Steele to be presented as serious case studies in neurodiversity.

  • Paid Members
Posted
22 hours ago, I Bent My Wookie said:

Lio could have benefited from going to this slowly rather than seemingly overnight. But it's still a lot better than Cru and as a hometown native I'm happy to see him succeeding as he puts so much work into it all. 

To be fair, I can’t imagine he had much choice - he was unlikely to get the TV time to do that, especially with this kind of gimmick which typically isn’t something Tony Khan would go for. He had to go all in with it quickly I suspect and hope for the best.

Posted

There's a lot of subtle nuances/changes along the way that Lio is doing.

 

Also, not every gimmick needs to be a main event gimmick. 

 

The character is getting incredibly over with the crowd and online so something must be connecting. I go around muttering "it's fine" to myself all the time now :D

 

 

 

  • Awards Moderator
Posted
9 minutes ago, Zaheer said:

The character is getting incredibly over with the crowd and online so something must be connecting. I go around muttering "it's fine" to myself all the time now :D

I've been doing that for years anyway! Blame anxiety and poor mental health for that, but at least I don't have black goop coming out of my mouth or gallop around on all fours like Lio.

  • Paid Members
Posted

What this gimmick has been really good for is that Lio Rush is clearly a freak athlete and would always try and incorporate his weird unnatural movements in his matches but it never really worked or made any sense. Within the context of this gimmick all that stuff now works perfectly.

  • Paid Members
Posted

I definitely think he's got better at that, for sure. When he started doing the gimmick, one of my main problems with it was that he did the weird Gollum bit at the start, but then just wrestled a Lio Rush match aside from the bit where he gallops around on all fours before hitting a dive. It definitely feels like more of how he wrestles is informed by the gimmick now than it was at the beginning, though I can't 100% shake the suspicion that a large part of the reason he's doing the gimmick is it that gives him an excuse to just not sell anything when he doesn't feel like it.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
×
×
  • Create New...