Condiments, Sauces, and Storage

Lorne Malvo

Just now, BomberPat said:

I'm not a huge dessert guy, in fairness, especially since cutting out dairy. Quite often if I'm in a restaurant I'd sooner have a coffee or a glass of port after a meal than a dessert, and if it's a choice between starter and main or main and dessert, I'm always going for the starter.

One Of Us GIF

• Paid Members

There is no attack on seasoning or cheese here Daz. Both are wonderful. A cheeseboard is lovely, it's not a dessert but it lovely none the less. I assume you are having just cheese and crackers/biscuits Daz. None of the delicious chutney accompaniments for you. 

It's this "No dessert at home" thing that's strange really. Were you one of those kids that believed their parents when they were told that when the ice cream man plays his chimes it means he has sold out? We don't have dessert at home every day but at least once a week we do. 

My restaurant dessert rule is order something you wouldn't make at home. That way you get to try something new. 

Edited by Lion_of_the_Midlands

5 minutes ago, Lion_of_the_Midlands said:

There is no attack on seasoning or cheese here Daz. Both are wonderful. A cheeseboard is lovely, it's not a dessert but it lovely none the less. I assume you are having just cheese and crackers/biscuits Daz. None of the delicious chutney accompaniments for you. 

Correct, i'll maybe have one of your more maleable cheeses on a cracker if needed for structural integrity, but by and large i'm just having the cheese with some grapes if available.

Chutney's just a lumpy condiment. Rubbish.

And a cheeseboard is a dessert. Of course it is.

I just don't really have a sweet tooth. I like fruit, but that's it really. I'll occasionally have a bit of dark chocolate, but rarely. The idea of those awful spongey cakes people have with cream and other sauces and whatnot? Horrendous. Kids party stuff.

Even as a kid I'd rather just have a bag of crisps. Sweet puddings and desserts are not my bag, Lionel.

I once went for dinner as part of my friends stag do in London, as a fellow pudding denier the groom decided to treat himself to ordering a second main whilst others had their dessert or coffees. Most incredible thing I've ever seen.

Edited by d-d-d-dAz

• Paid Members

If you don't have a sweet tooth then I understand Daz, but a cheeseboard is not a dessert. My great uncle was in the Navy for 22 years. He was once in charge of a dinner on one of the ships he served on for The Queen and Prince Philip. He got a severe bollocking from his superior for leaving too long a gap between dessert and cheese and for only having a choice of 9 different cheeses on the board. 

Dessert and cheese separate courses brother. 

Just now, Lion_of_the_Midlands said:

If you don't have a sweet tooth then I understand Daz, but a cheeseboard is not a dessert. My great uncle was in the Navy for 22 years. He was once in charge of a dinner on one of the ships he served on for The Queen and Prince Philip. He got a severe bollocking from his superior for leaving too long a gap between dessert and cheese and for only having a choice of 9 different cheeses on the board. 

Dessert and cheese separate courses brother. 

I'll take no lessons from the Queen and Prince Philip. I'll have the republican cheese, please.

I think 'dessert' literally means to 'conclude a meal', so that means either the cheese or the tip I leave the chef for not sullying my plate with all these awful sauces that seem so popular on here.

• Paid Members
1 minute ago, d-d-d-dAz said:

I'll take no lessons from the Queen and Prince Philip. I'll have the republican cheese, please.

I think 'dessert' literally means to 'conclude a meal', so that means either the cheese or the tip I leave the chef for not sullying my plate with all these awful sauces that seem so popular on here.

If we are getting in to meanings brother it means sweet course to conclude a meal. 

3 minutes ago, Devon Malcolm said:

c75337ec0f3d4cc6651249a7f7a9eeeb4d037ad5.gif

I did have a question before I seemed to cause a rumpus in the thread, what constitutes a ketchup 'collection'? Isn't it all the same?

@Lion_of_the_Midlands take it up with the French or something. Or maybe don't, they're into pastries and little cakes and stuff like that. They can't be trusted either.

Edited by d-d-d-dAz

• Paid Members
13 minutes ago, d-d-d-dAz said:

I did have a question before I seemed to cause a rumpus in the thread, what constitutes a ketchup 'collection'? Isn't it all the same?

No of course it's not the same you sauceless monster.