EURO 2024

Weezenal

• Paid Members

I didn’t watch it, obviously, but can someone confirm what the formation actually was? I saw mentions of “three at the back” but Konsa for Guehi seems a straight swap and there were four defenders on the team sheet? And Saka isn’t a defender so you could hardly call it “wing backs” can you? Either there’s a round peg in a square hole again or bollocks was it three at the back.

• Paid Members

Embrace the chaos. Organised attacking football is just not for this team. We're probably gonna shit house our way to the final and you just have to accept it. What a fucking moment that penalty shoot out was. Saka is everything. I will never, ever forget it.

11 hours ago, air_raid said:

I didn’t watch it, obviously, but can someone confirm what the formation actually was? I saw mentions of “three at the back” but Konsa for Guehi seems a straight swap and there were four defenders on the team sheet? And Saka isn’t a defender so you could hardly call it “wing backs” can you? Either there’s a round peg in a square hole again or bollocks was it three at the back.

3-4-2-1. Saka started at RWB with Trippier on the opposite side. Saka was excellent throughout. The back 3 was Konsa, Stones and Walker. I felt we had a bit more rhythm in this game but the build up play is still far too ponderous. Southgate needs to drop Foden and Kane, but he won’t.

• Members
55 minutes ago, hallicks said:

Southgate needs to drop Foden and Kane, but he won’t.

One of these was the best player in the Premier League last season and the other scored 4 million goals in Germany.

They are not the problem.

Just now, SuperBacon said:

One of these was the best player in the Premier League last season and the other scored 4 million goals in Germany.

They are not the problem.

Kane is knackered and Foden’s been ineffective in every game. If the problem is the system, then either change the players to fit the system or play a system that accommodates them somehow. 

• Paid Members

Kane isn't suiting whatever it is Southgate is trying to do. They should try a false 9 or someone who will actually stay up front instead of wandering off into the left-back position at random moments.

• Members
3 minutes ago, Devon Malcolm said:

Kane isn't suiting whatever it is Southgate is trying to do. They should try a false 9 or someone who will actually stay up front instead of wandering off into the left-back position at random moments.

spacer.png

Rashford really was the perfect partner for Kane (Sterling good too) but there is absolutely no one making the runs there.

I've seen people ask why Kane isn't running in behind the defenders between the centre backs...have they ever seen him play football before? 

And even if he did do that for the first time ever in his career, who would be supplying the creative through balls for him? 

There have been individual moments of brilliance (Sakas goal yesterday, Bellinghams last minute goal) but the problem is Southgate came into this tournament not knowing his best 11 and system and his changes have been all over the place, further showing he really hasn't got a clue. 

Fair play 3x semi finals in 4x tournaments is a good return, but he should've won something with this crop and maybe he still will.

Also, has Kane called Shearer a bald twat or something? His constant digging out has reached incredible heights this tournament. I liked it when Toney came on and he started banging on about now we're gonna see some quality crosses in the middle. Because that had happened for the last 105 minutes? Punditry and comms have reached new lows this summer.

Anyway, enough ranting about England. Enjoy this instead.

I actually thought Foden was quite good yesterday and him being able to play more on the right side was a big reason Saka was England's best player 

Ollie Watkins is probably the closest at the minute to Rashford or Sterling in the squad who could make runs behind but doubt he'll get on the pitch for the rest of the tournament now

• Paid Members
41 minutes ago, SuperBacon said:

Also, has Kane called Shearer a bald twat or something? His constant digging out has reached incredible heights this tournament. 

Should he be praising him for doing fuck all? 

• Members
5 minutes ago, gmoney said:

Should he be praising him for doing fuck all? 

Absolutely not, he's been pretty poor but Shearer has definitely got it in for him. 

And this isn't some pro Kane agenda (he's a Gooner, fuck him) but it's been really noticeable just how much he's been singled out.

Lineker has been at it too. And people have praised him for his "analysis" this tournament, but again when he's banging on about "Harry not making runs" and "That's not really Harry's game" it's not analysis if its just completely made up things in my opinion.

• Members

At the end of the day I'm not massively arsed* (despite the paragraphs of ranting), but it's just so frustrating that Southgate has such good options and can't get a tune out of them.

He definitely shouldn't have taken Shaw seeing as he's only just become fit (although that might benefit them and if he is fit I think he should start) and should've taken Maddison or Grealish, as England are massively missing that type of player, even if its from the bench.

England are lucky that everyone is pretty poor (Spain aside, Turkey, Austria and Georgia were obviously fun) and I can see England beating Holland and France, if they somehow beat the Spanish. I can't remember a worse Euros in quality and being the sad bastard I am, I've watched pretty much every game.

*Having said that when I was 8 I loved England and have never forgiven Koeman so I want them to smash Holland. HIT LES! HIT LES!