Childhood Misconceptions

gmoney

46 minutes ago, SuperBacon said:

I was similarly confused by the "pools" and thought it must have something to do with swimming.

My Grandad was always moaning about the pools, which was strange as Brentford Leisure Centre had a wave machine, how could you moan!

On a similar note there was a town centre pub that had a sign outside advertising what facilities they had and it was years later when I realised where it said pool meant the table and not swimming. Always baffled me how a high street boozer would have a baths. 

On a similar note to these football confusions, the first time my Dad told me he’d brought me home a programme I got ridiculously excited at what I thought was a video of the game, which would obviously include a VHS to play it on. Was really tough to hide my disappointment at the small booklet with an article on Marc Rieper I received.

• Paid Members

My first proper season watching football, for some reason Central Sports Special : Goals Extra opened one week showing highlights of Leeds vs Spurs instead of exclusively Midlands teams like usual. Which briefly gave me the misconception Tottenham was my local team.

Its as good excuse as any, right?

• Paid Members
On 5/24/2024 at 11:04 AM, cobra_gordo said:

On a similar note there was a town centre pub that had a sign outside advertising what facilities they had and it was years later when I realised where it said pool meant the table and not swimming. Always baffled me how a high street boozer would have a baths. 

One of my favourite recurring dad jokes was at a tourist attraction in Jersey, where one of the on-site cafes had pool and snooker tables outside but under an awning. Every time I walked past them with someone, I'd say, "I know the brochure promised 'outdoor pool', but this isn't what I expected".

27 minutes ago, BomberPat said:

One of my favourite recurring dad jokes was at a tourist attraction in Jersey, where one of the on-site cafes had pool and snooker tables outside but under an awning. Every time I walked past them with someone, I'd say, "I know the brochure promised 'outdoor pool', but this isn't what I expected".

This reminds me of when I walked Snowdon with my Dad and he insisted maybe 100 feet from the descent end on running past people that were just starting and as he'd pass them, look at his watch and loudly exclaim "Yeeeeesssss. 1 hour 20!" making it look like he'd done it in a ridiculous time. He did this maybe 5 times while I sat and smoking well away from him.

And now you can see where my "humour" comes from.

Posted (edited)

Went to the movies as a kid. Trailer for The Lion King came on. The trailer said 'only in theatres'. I thought, gee I better go and see this film as it's never coming out on VHS!

Edited by Version1.0