The Cena style

• Paid Members
12 minutes ago, LaGoosh said:

Or maybe wrestling is about loads of different things and that's what makes it fun? Room for plenty of styles and variety.

In fairness, I think..

1 hour ago, Loki said:

Or it should be, for me!

... is fine for a caveat.

I like a bit of both. My favourite match was Angle vs Benoit which is very workrate. But if Cody topples the Grand Masters at Mania 40, it might eclipse it.

I'm a big Cena fan, for lots of the reasons covered. That said, one of the fascinating things about the guy who came to embody the WWE, big-time wrestling style, is how utterly unsuited his style actually was for the modern era.

He overcame it with a force of personality, but he never quite shook his 'work the live audience' style that translates quite oddly to the modern TV production style or social or any of that stuff.

His mannerisms, facials... everything were all built for the house, in an era where we were told the house wasn't anywhere near as important, it was all about TV and social media and blah blah blah.

He also never, EVER got on top of his spot calling despite being surrounded by 100 cameras and 1000 microphones in the modern production set-up.

In many ways he was the last of the live house, standard definition, basic production era and incredibly helped shepherd the company into an era he'd stand out like a sore thumb in; multimedia, 4k, blockbuster levels of production.

I love him, but I don't think, if he surfaced now as a rookie, he gets ahead in modern WWE without toning down some of his excesses and learning to shut the fuck up.

Edited by d-d-d-dAz

• Paid Members
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, air_raid said:

Well, we do still live in a world that the post-Mania prospects of Cody vs Rollins, Punk vs Hunk and the Bloodline fallout aren't enough to keep some people excited and lamenting that Okada or Ospreay aren't coming in. Which is basically the same thing.

It's demonstrably not, though. Like I said earlier in the thread, one of the reasons why I never took to Cena was because of the standards set by people like Bret Hart, who weren't indie darlings. I was only very briefly an indie fan, and I soon fell out of love with them, or at least liked them less when I quickly realised that alternative =/= better.

The reason I asked this specific question:

2 hours ago, Carbomb said:

Just to check: you guys aren't saying that anyone who's not particularly a fan of Cena automatically believes that some indie button-basher in pleather should be headlining WrestleMania

is because it's lumping everyone together, with the seeming intention of trying to claim that any and all criticisms are invalid because they can only be the opinions of "dem wans", and it's just a bit wanky, is all - in the same way that smarks claim that the only reason why anyone likes Cena is because they must have been brainwashed by Vince.

Edited by Carbomb

• Paid Members
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Carbomb said:

It's demonstrably not, though.

Did I dream this post, for a very specific example of my very specific suggestion…?

On 4/2/2024 at 9:28 AM, Factotum said:

Post Mania it will be interesting to see what they will do. That's where an Ospreay or Okada coming in would have been perfect for them

1 hour ago, Carbomb said:

The reason I asked this specific question:

is because it's lumping everyone together, 

Nobody’s doing that. Some people I said.

Probably a joke gone too far.

Edited by air_raid
Dental plan!

• Paid Members

Did I dream this post, for a very specific example of my very specific suggestion…?

That example was what I was asking you to clarify wasn't the case across the board - I was trying to ascertain you weren't making out that anyone who criticises Cena thinks like that.

Nobody’s doing that. Some people I said.

This is the answer I was looking for, so thanks for that. Didn't see the "some", so just wanted to make sure.

• Paid Members
23 hours ago, air_raid said:

First time that has happened on here. 

For a bloke who got over by accident playing a Vanilla Ice knock off on a Halloween edition of Smacky D he hasn't done bad.