Bellator 299 & 300 - oh, and Bellator 301.

Egg Shen

• Paid Members

I know I knocked the Bellator event threads on the head as no cunt watches them, but seeing's that it's looking increasingly likely that these will be the final 2 Bellator events, I thought it fitting to stick a bit of a double event thread up to try drum up some interest. The PFL sale/merger is all but done from what i'm seeing, and who's know what happens with PFL absorbs the roster? it's pretty exciting to see what comes next (although lets hope they keep John McCarthey out of the commentary booth and Josh Thomson off the broadcast team)

From a personal standpoint, i've pretty much followed Bellator from day one, I was watching more when they first got a US TV deal. If you remember, the initial Bellator shows only aired with Spanish commentary and were probably only some kind of delayed deal in English so it wasn't easy to see the fights, plus downloading wasn't as readily available back then so I think I actually got on board watching from Bellator 13 when Roger Huerta debuted.

Recently Bellator has become a bit of a damp squib. We've spoken about it here that for whatever reason Bellator fights rarely deliver anymore? It's a bit of a mystery, I don't know if it's a production things, a matchmaking thing, a commentary thing, but for whatever reason the shows just don't translate into great entertainment. I'm hoping these last 2 let the promotion go out with a bit of a bang.

original-1694207011.thumb.jpg.9032f8ddea32d17b5f65927315f1688c.jpg

original-1692382601.thumb.jpg.c073bd2f65b2b9efb370747c5225ce64.jpg

The Irish show next weekend will be a good crack as they usually are, but there's no denying that Bellator 300 is pretty deflating. I don't think there's one fight there that anyone been clamouring to see, real depressing looking stuff. That said! I'm all for being proven wrong, and I feel I need to tune in so see it out.

Dunno if anyone wants to share any Bellator type memories or favorite fights etc. before hand. I'll add cards and all that nonsence closer to the dates.

Bye Bellator.

Edited by Egg Shen

Have watched since the tournement days, and have had countless hours enjoying Bellator. But like everyone else, have stopped watching it completley over the last few years.My timelines might be off, but I assume that the UFC werent churning out a show nearly every week back in the days of the tourney shows. That meant that the Bellator shows were a nice alternative to get your MMA fix. There were some cracking fighters during those days. The few years when it tried to be a bigger promotion were always good too, then it just seemed to die away.

• Paid Members

I didn't know about this, but it makes sense. It strikes me that the MMA market is a bit like the wrestling market from a while back: there's not really enough interest to have more than two big mainstream promotions (in fact, even less, because the UFC would still be the much bigger and preferred watch of the two to the market audience).

I hope they keep the PFL name instead. Bellator is obviously a classier name being Latin and all that, but let's face it - it probably doesn't resonate with your average Joe in the way that the usual three-letter word soup does. Also, not enough combat sports use "League", which I've always liked - just sounds big-time, especially in an American context.

I read an article somewhere about it, and the gist of it was that theres Saudi money getting pumped in to the PFL, and an 'expert' predicts that 90% of the Bellator roster would be let go. This led me to think. what actually does the PFL need Bellator for? Theres clearly money to burn in the PFL, and I assume they will keep that name. None of the Bellator fighters really make any difference to how popular the PFL already is. They seem to have the TV production side of it down well. Is it some sort of drift away into doing non tournment shows? Even if that was the case, why do they need to buy the company rather than just pluck some of the best talent? You'll get a sweet video library from buying it, but I doubt thats the reason why they are.

• Paid Members

I dunno - a quick swatch of Bellator's Wiki tells me they've been around since 2008. That's fifteen years' worth of content, compared to the PFL's five. It may just be that they're looking to improve their content offering, to make their streaming platform (assuming they have one) more appealing.

• Paid Members

20 fights on the Bellator slate tonight, absolutely ludicrous. Can't help but feel this is some contract fulfilling exercise before the promotion is sold.

Really deep card, few Irish gimmies but solid outside of that. Main care is quality.

Fabian Edwards a big underdog against Eblen but imagine he pulls it off. Both brothers holding major titles, will be some story.

20230923_124149.thumb.jpg.ae132d325f1454ed45148a9f1985b8ed.jpg

• Paid Members

Remember that cut Robocop received? Johnny Eblen done gone tried to better it...

Grim. He came through though, very lucky that wasn't stopped cause of the cut.

Once again, missed the show, too much on, but what you gonna do?

I watched the main card yesterday I think it was. The first fight on it ended by the most brutal front kick Knock out the other fighter was out for way over 6 minutes it was scary 

Watched the main event and was routing for Fabian to get the win and the belt but fucking hell he got too giddy and got caught and knocked into sleepy land.

I might give the prelims a go later on and I will be watching the bellator 300 card however we are in Majorca that week so I will sleep and get up and watch then with the time difference+2 to ours here 

Where has this stuff going about online and Dana got asked about it at the press conference after the contender series about bellator going out of business and would he be interested in any of their fighters.

What the fuck has happened and why is it stopping, I actually sometimes prefer watching bellator over a UFC fight night card and have done a few times this year. I'm genuinely abit shocked it's being talked about