Bellator MMA Thread (Bellator 297 - Nemkov vs. Romero - June 16th)

Egg Shen

• Paid Members

I'm fairly sure there was an MMA thread here originally we just updated with the shows as they went, but I can't be arsed to find it so I thought i'd start a new one. Due to the little activitiy in the event threads thought it be easier to just have one Bellator thread and i'll update the thread title as we go, so here we are...

First event to chuck in here though is an absolute blemmer, this Friday:

original-1680666830.thumb.jpg.711bee6bcfa3dd1e250ffb4f7b06ca98.jpg

Main Card: 

Vadim Nemkov vs. Yoel Romero - Light Heavyweight Title

Sergio Pettis vs. Patricio Pitbull - Bantamweight Title

Corey Anderson vs. Phil Davis

Daniel James vs. Gokhan Sakram

Prelims:

Alex Polizzi vs. Karl Moore

Archie Colgan vs. Emmanuel Sanchez

Norbert Novenyi Jr. vs. Kamil Oniszczuk

Mike Hamel vs. Shamil Nikaev

Jaleel Willis vs. Ramazan Kuramagomedov

Gadzhi Rabadanov vs. Pieter Buist

Kyle Crutchmer vs. Bobby Nash

Wladmir Goiveia vs. Gabriel Sayeg

Cody Law vs. Edwin Chavez

Jordan Newman vs. Matthew Perry

Timur Khizriev vs. Richie Smullen

Outside of the Anderson/Davis which has the potential to be absolute toilet, that main card is great.

Patricio Pitbull aims to be the first fighter to win major titles in 3 different divisions against Sergio Pettis. If he makes the weight ok I fancy him to get the job done too.

Who knows what we get with Romero/Nemkov? Romero looking to finally win a title at 46 years old. He's no normal 46 though is he? 

That's the bare bones of it anyway, all Bellator in here from now on 😎

Pitbull is still one of the Bellator fighters I'll make an effort to watch. Petis hasn't really impressed me from the bits I've seen, so I fancy Pitbull here too. 

Has it ever been disclosed what's wrong with Yoels eye? Even in that promo pic it looks wrong. Must somehow pass the commission tests, but that said Bisping managed to do it as well. 

• Paid Members

I'll catch up on this one at some point over the weekend. Can't be missing Yoel possibly winning a title. BBC catch up on iPlayer for this? Hopefully Saturday evening after work I'll be able to check it out without spoilers. I don't expect Romero to have much likelihood of winning, but boy, if he hits that flying knee? My living room is going banana. 

Like Egg says, if Pitbull makes the weight he should really beat baby Pettis. Don't see what part of the game he'd struggle with against Pettis outside of the weight adaption and the energy levels as a result. If that's fine, I'd expect him to win a comfortable decision. 

• Paid Members

I've not seem Nemkov fight, so had a quick look at his record, and it seems he's pretty adept at handling wrestlers - two wins over Davis, he beat the resurgent Bader for the belt, and he's beaten Corey Anderson too. So it would seem, on face value, that Yoel has the old puncher's chance. 

What might work for him is his unpredictability, though. At the higher weights, a puncher's chance probably counts for more.

• Paid Members

Because we were all wondering if Yoel would actually turn up in shape this time   . . .

1T6A6141-1024x683.jpg

Just imagine walking about as Yoel Romero for a day.

Edited by WeeAl

• Paid Members

Wand mentioned this a while ago, but this was typical Bellator. For as interesting as this show looked on paper? An absolute bore fest. The stars never align for them. 

• Paid Members

Yep, i skipped but it sounded like a shocker. My mate sent me a snoring emoji the day about the show and that was enough for me to skip it.

Bellator's lack of actually delivering memorable fights is one of MMA's great mysteries.

Edited by Egg Shen