My Best Film: John Carpenter

Devon Malcolm

John Carpenter's best film  

69 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Paid Members

It's a shame Netflix or someone don't throw money at him. In a world where you know he finds his audience on home video surely the streaming era makes you a hot property. Not to mention John Carpenter is as revered as anyone by horror fans. They could shout that they had the great John Carpenter from the roof tops.

• Paid Members
10 minutes ago, DEF said:

It's a shame Netflix or someone don't throw money at him. In a world where you know he finds his audience on home video surely the streaming era makes you a hot property. Not to mention John Carpenter is as revered as anyone by horror fans. They could shout that they had the great John Carpenter from the roof tops.

He seems content that he can make a living with his music now but He loves a horror anthology and has done a fair few in his time. I'd love for him to do an episode for season 2 of Cabinet of curiosities or for another streaming series to pick up the Master of Horror title. 

• Paid Members

Talking of his music, his Lost Themes albums are so much fun. They're regular listens for me while working.

I think he's still bitter about how his filmmaking career finished, but he seems genuinely enthusiastic about being involved on the music side still.

• Awards Moderator

sdnz6vt1chda1.gif

One of my best mates growing up had a huge cupboard in his kitchen. It had a vented door and had been painted about 85 times so looked like absolute shit. Open it and it was floor to ceiling faux leather VHS cases, full of movies his parents had taped off the telly. Each volume had the little sticky numbers on the spine you used to get with a blank tape. Tucked in the back of the door was a small book which was the index to this magical library. "22 Citizen Kane. 81 Red Heat." that sort of thing. 

When he asked me one day to come up with a number at random we had a Maxell labelled simply "Thing". I assumed it was a mistake because what could be on this tape? 

What a great story economically told. Wound tighter than Piers Morgan at a liberal rally, packed with incredible effects as above, and Kurt Russell just being the boss he was in this era. A masterpiece in tension with every decision made the right one. Yes, it's John Carpenter's best film, but I'd take almost any of the others as fair game. 

The next video we watched was Dirty Rotten Scoundrels which wasn't quite the same. 

Edited by Onyx2