UFC 273: Volkanovski vs Zombie - Apr 9 🇺🇸

wandshogun09

Who wins and how?   

10 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Paid Members

I know in the world we live in, we can't say things like this anymore, but I'm in poxy rag with a hangover, so therefore...I can't wait to see Mackenzie Derns' bum.

I think if Garry rinses Weeks in spectacular fashion (Roganâ„¢), I think his next shot will be on the main card. I took a bit of a turn off him after hearing - from people whose opinions I completely trust - that he was sparking young lads and oul lads alike in sparring at KF for his own amusement, but he's a young lad who felt hard done by and went about it the wrong way, so I hope the lads at Sanford have knocked a bit of humility into him.
Hard to be humble though when you've that to wake up to every morning. That's Ms.Anna-Lee (oo-er, and all that) and his mirror. Fair play, like.

Buzzing for this card, truly am. So much to digest and be excited and gidd about, but you magnificent bastids on this forum can articulate and chat the combat better than I ever could, so yeah...***jazzhandsemoji x 1000***

• Paid Members

any predictions? this is a wild card.

If i had to pick i'd go Chimaev based on momentum, what ive seen and mainly based on what others have said about him, but Burns at nearly 5/1 has to be worth a punt, especially if this settles down into a fight rather than another destruction job. Looking forward to this as much as any fight in recent memory. 

I think Sterling gets smashed and ends probably the weirdest and somewhat saddest title reigns in history. Its always felt like Sterling is on borrowed time and i just cant see him beating Yan.

Volkanovksi all day over the Zombie but id love to see Volkanovski push for a finish and make a statement, thats what he needs.

• Paid Members
4 hours ago, Ironic Indie Lad said:

Madsen seems to be fighting himself in a cheap disguise.

It’s a rumour that’s been doing the rounds for some time. 

On 3/5/2022 at 11:00 PM, wandshogun09 said:

81-BD76-DA-F53-F-42-CC-8-DD3-69-D4677650

Vinc Pichel vs Mark Madsen. I remember when this fight was announced, Marcel Dorff used the two pictures above and someone in the comments said it looked like the same bloke but in one pic he’s wearing a disguise 🤣 I can’t unsee it now.

I won’t believe it’s not the case until we see them in the same room or Octagon at the same time. 

• Paid Members

Chimaev butchering the word ‘Ohio’ worse than he did Li Jingliang.

On a serious note, I really can’t wait for this fight with Gilbert Burns. I’m looking forward to that one as much as, if not more than, the two title fights. As strong as this card is, Chimaev vs Burns has that ‘peoples main event’ kind of feel to it. I have a feeling Chimaev comes out with the win, I just have a good feeling he’s the real deal but this is by far the biggest test of his career. I’ve already been seeing a bit of playing down of Burns’ record on social media and talk that he’s ‘overrated’ or wasn’t ever that good. I suspect this is coming from Chimaev detractors who are laying the groundwork early in case he shines on Saturday, so they can diminish the win. Bollocks. Burns is legit. Chimaev aside,  there’s only 2 or 3 guys in the division I think can beat Burns. His grappling is elite, his hands are heavy, he dropped Usman etc. He’s a top Welterweight. Exactly the kind of test people have been calling for Chimaev to face. And we’re only a couple of days away now. Buzzing for this fight. 

It's well known that I'm downright stoic when it comes to buying into the next big thing being touted by Dana and the UFC, and that includes Chimaev. 

I've said before that I'll buy in if he beats a top contender, and a win against Burns fits that bill. No matter if he stops him, wins a decision, it's all the same to me. A win over a guy like that proves he's top drawer.

• Paid Members

I don't think there's anywhere Chimaev can go other than Usman if he beats Burns. He'd absolutely have to fight Usman next. You couldn't risk putting him against Colby first. If he lost you'd be burning a contender without gaining one. Burns gets massively rehabbed with a win here. Chimaev with a win? Goes to the moon. It'll be full on "Francis Ngannou can knock a 747 out of the sky with one punch" levels of promotion from Dana and co at that point. 

Is Edwards already booked for fighting Usman at any point? Because if he's not then he has to be the biggest Burns supporter in the world this weekend. 

Edited by WeeAl

• Paid Members
47 minutes ago, David said:

It's well known that I'm downright stoic when it comes to buying into the next big thing being touted by Dana and the UFC, and that includes Chimaev. 

I've said before that I'll buy in if he beats a top contender, and a win against Burns fits that bill. No matter if he stops him, wins a decision, it's all the same to me. A win over a guy like that proves he's top drawer.

Yeah it’s all subjective really. If we take ‘next big thing’ to mean top contender, champion and/or the man to dethrone Usman then there’s still a little way to go before he proves that. But he’s already shown he’s legit. Obviously Dana is gonna go nuts with it but the way Chimaev walked through Meerschaert and Jingliang showed he’s got something about him. You don’t generally just squash those two and Meerschaert has rattled off 3 straight submissions since so it’s not even like Khamzat got him off form. There’s still a lot of questions, the usual on his chin, endurance etc. But he’s shown enough at this point to suggest he’s not all Dana hype. Just remains to be seen where his ceiling is. 

Edited by wandshogun09

• Paid Members
12 minutes ago, WeeAl said:

Is Edwards already booked for fighting Usman at any point? Because if he's not then he has to be the biggest Burns supporter in the world this weekend. 

Hasn’t been made official official yet but Dana confirmed Edwards is getting the next shot when Usman’s hand heals up. The rumour was UFC 276 in July but it’s all early stages yet. Thing is, at the minute there’s nothing set in stone and the ‘Leon getting the next title shot’ thing is all solely existing on the strength of Dana’s word currently. And you can wipe your arse on that. If Chimaev wins on Saturday, I absolutely 100% expect Edwards to get passed over and we’ll be seeing Usman vs Chimaev for the gold. And as much as I’ve argued the case for Leon as the next in line on here, even I couldn’t argue against it. If Chimaev somehow beats Burns the way he’s gone through his last few opponents then it’s gonna be hard to go any other direction. That’s the fight most will want to see.

Edit - Balls. Apologies for the double post, meant to edit this into the above post. 

Edited by wandshogun09

11 hours ago, wandshogun09 said:

Yeah it’s all subjective really. If we take ‘next big thing’ to mean top contender, champion and/or the man to dethrone Usman then there’s still a little way to go before he proves that.

That's what it means for me. It means top contender at the least. And if he beats Burns he's among that crowd.