Fight Announcement Thread

Egg Shen

• Paid Members

Looking back at those leaked fights from the other day, I only just clocked that Paddy Pimblett vs Ottman Azaitar is on there. Love that. Mostly because it means Paddy is likely getting chinned. Azaitar hasn’t fought in 2 years, which might be why Paddy’s agreed to it, but he’s 13-0 with 12 finishes. Love to see Paddy get this treatment…

CF589A95-FB65-4F01-9D4C-CA47FE0F3A6B.gif

Azaitar’s still largely unproven yet but he’s certainly a step up from the two stiffs they’ve fed the ‘Lad’ so far. Still would’ve preferred that Ilia Topuria fight but Pimblett clearly wants none of that. This’ll do nicely.

I thought those fights on the board behind Dana were probably just loosely planned fights at first but a few of them have already been confirmed since. So hopefully this one gets made official soon. Still highly doubt that Jones vs Miocic fight actually materialises though. I hope I’m proven wrong but I just don’t believe in Jones fight news anymore. 

• Paid Members

Was so disappointing when Azaitar got done for that whole Covid stupidity (Stuvid?), as he sounded like he was going to be fun to watch. Glad to hear that, if he's coming back, it's to take that racist little shitcunt's head off.

So, we're getting the third fight between Holloway and Volkanovski in the space of two and a half years? I understand that they're light on challengers at 145lbs, but wasn't Volkanovski talking about stepping up to 155lbs for a few fights? I mean, we've seen other dominant champions do that?

I just get the feeling that if the roles were reversed, and it was Holloway who held two wins over Volk in that short a time frame we wouldn't be seeing this third fight. The UFC have always had a hard-on for certain fighters, and Holloway is one of them.

• Paid Members

Maybe Pimblett vs Azaitar won’t happen after all. 

I’m all for fighters getting more if they can but (and I admit the fact I can’t stand the prick might be clouding my judgement here) does anyone else get the feeling Pimblett’s hiding behind the fighter pay argument? As soon as talk of tougher fights like Topuria and now Azaitar started up, all of a sudden it’s “I’m making more outside the cage, I don’t need to be active”. 

There's two factors in this Pimblett discussion for me.

The first is that he's 100% correct. He doesn't have to be all that active if he doesn't want to. There's nothing stopping him from fighting once a year, and in all honesty, if fighters were being paid a decent wedge I'd like to see them fight twice a year at most and give themselves six months for their bodies to recover. No one needs to be getting their brains rattled every three months. 

If he's happy to fight once per year or whatever and build on his brand outside the cage then more power to him. Any time a fighter can earn a dollar without lacing up the gloves is a positive.

The second factor for me is that he's complaining about being underpaid, despite agreeing to the terms of his contract just over one year ago. He's apparently earning $12,000 to show and $12,000 to win, which is really fucking low.

But here's the kicker that the fans, the critics of the contract and even Pimblett seem to be missing. He fucking signed the thing of his own free will a year ago. No one forced him into it. He wasn't duped here, he agreed to that deal. 

I imagine it's a six fight deal, like most UFC contracts, so he's two fights deep. Not even halfway through. He could always negotiate for a raise in his terms, and if we're honest he certainly deserves it if he's making waves and drawing eyeballs, but that would be at the UFC's discretion. And the reason for that? Because the mop-headed chubster fucking signed the contract in the first place!

Until these thick twats stop rolling over and accepting peanuts to get punched in the face there's no reason for the UFC to up the money on offer. Why would they? Would you walk into a shop, see a PS5 priced at £75 and argue with the shop owner that you would rather pay a fair price? Of course not! 

I'm willing to bet my signed Yoel Romero 8x10 that Pimblett would have been offered more money by Bellator. Their European presence would have seen them only too happy to add him to their roster, and he'd likely have been offered a decent chunk of change to sign with them.

But he didn't, because like many UFC fighters he's dazzled by the UFC and the handshake and selfie with Uncle Dana. So fuck Paddy, he made his bed, and now he's at the mercy of the company when it comes to any pay raise. He better hope they feel generous, because he's got almost zero bargaining power.

• Paid Members
9 minutes ago, David said:

The first is that he's 100% correct. He doesn't have to be all that active if he doesn't want to. There's nothing stopping him from fighting once a year, and in all honesty, if fighters were being paid a decent wedge I'd like to see them fight twice a year at most and give themselves six months for their bodies to recover. No one needs to be getting their brains rattled every three months. 

If he's happy to fight once per year or whatever and build on his brand outside the cage then more power to him. Any time a fighter can earn a dollar without lacing up the gloves is a positive.

He can sit out but im pretty sure there's repercussions. I'm pretty sure a fighter has to be offered 2 fights a year, and if one is turned down they extend your current contract by an extra fight, or something along those lines.

5 minutes ago, Egg Shen said:

He can sit out but im pretty sure there's repercussions. I'm pretty sure a fighter has to be offered 2 fights a year, and if one is turned down they extend your current contract by an extra fight, or something along those lines.

Yeah, I don't mean that he should sit out in protest. I'm saying if he's happy to only fight once or twice per year then there's absolutely nothing stopping him doing that.