UFC 266: Volkanovski vs Ortega - Sep 25 🇺🇸

wandshogun09

Who wins and how?   

16 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Paid Members

As long as it’s still happening I don’t care what weight it’s at. As much as I love the Volkanovski vs Ortega fight, I think Diaz vs Lawler 2 is the one this card would actually be the most hurt by losing.

In typical Robbie Lawler fashion he couldn’t sound less arsed about changing the fight to 185;

Edited by wandshogun09

The fact that he couldn't make the agreed weight class is concerning. And he looks terrible in that video. Not Holyfield terrible, but honestly, does that even look like the Nick Diaz who faced Anderson Silva? 

Let's hope he's in good shape and ready to go, because if he isn't Lawler will expose that real quick. 

• Paid Members

Yeah he doesn’t look too good there. I’ve seen people going overboard with it in regards to how he’s throwing punches, which is silly because 1) he’s always thrown his punches like that and 2) this is just a shoot for the pre-fight videos, fighters aren’t gonna show their best in those things. But physically, it’s the worst I’ve ever seen him look for a fight. Like David says, it’s a far cry even from the Anderson fight. As I recall he pretty much looked like his old self for that one. The most concerning thing is the weight issue. Diaz is a lot of things and he’s no showed press conferences and got into brawls and stuff but I’ve never known him having an issue making weight or showing up for the actual fight. Having the fight changed to Middleweight here means either he just physically can’t do the cut anymore, or he just couldn’t be arsed, which is more worrying really.

I saw a quote from him saying something like ‘why am I fighting Robbie Lawler again and not Kamaru Usman?’ Typical Diaz persecution complex like he’s been hard done by for not walking straight into a title shot after 6 years out. And then he can’t make 170 anyway!

Haven’t got a clue what to expect Saturday night. But to think some people wanted to see this Nick Diaz return against fucking Chimaev. Hopefully this’ll be a fun fight with Lawler but I can’t think of many more fights like this that I want to see him in going forward. I’ve got zero interest in just seeing him fed to young killers and definitely not being shoehorned into any title shot which would be neither deserved or competitive at this stage. At least with this fight, it’ll be a good barometer to see where he’s at. 

Diaz looks old. He looks like a nearly 40 year old stoner who's spent the past close to seven years doing fuck all except BJJ and running or cycling. Basically, in good shape compared to a regular dude, but nowhere near the kind of shape an MMA fighter at the top of the game in 2021 needs to be in.

You cant sit out that long in the fight game and not suffer from the consequences. Lawler is no spring chicken either, but since Diaz last fought he's fought 8 times, and most of those have been against top guys. 

As Wand said, imagine this guy against a legit top three fighter at welter or even middleweight? He'd get fucked up. 

• Paid Members

Ortega’s not the brightest bulb on the porch is he? Claims the reason Max Holloway battered him was because he was out partying on fight week. Then says he was gonna do the same thing this week before his missus told him not to.

I’m sure it’s bollocks and that, dim as he is, it’s just taken him the best part of 3 years to come up with an excuse for why Max completely ruined him. But still, he just comes across dopey as fuck.

All that said, it’s a fantastic fight that’s been criminally overlooked because of Nick Diaz’s return. I’m sure many will simplify it as - Max wrecked Ortega, Volk beat Max twice = Volk beats Ortega. But it’s a totally different matchup altogether and as good as Volkanovski is, I don’t think we’ve ever seen him face someone as unorthodox in the striking or lethal in the grappling as Ortega is. I’m still leaning towards Volk retaining the gold but this could be a very tricky one. 

• Paid Members

been seeing quotes from this interview all week but finally watched it:

one of most strange, confusing and at times sad 20 minutes ive seen in any kind of MMA interview in some time. Nick Diaz does not wanna be in this position. I dont really know what else to say about it. 

• Paid Members
3 hours ago, Egg Shen said:

Yeh its completely going over my head, and im not sure why? I think the long layoffs isnt helping and im trying to remind myself just how good Volkanovski is.

For me it just doesn't really feel like Ortega should be challenging for the belt. In my mind he got badly beaten by Holloway, disappeared for 3 years and now has a title shot off the back of one win against someone not near the title picture. Maybe that's just me.