UFC 266: Volkanovski vs Ortega - Sep 25 ๐Ÿ‡บ๐Ÿ‡ธ

wandshogun09

Who wins and how?   

16 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Paid Members

Sorry to triple post but just seen this. Nasrat Haqparastโ€™s mum has died.

Heโ€™s saying heโ€™s still gonna fight Dan Hooker on this card. I canโ€™t even imagine. Itโ€™ll be an emotional one whatever the result here. Impossible not to root for him in this situation.ย 

• Paid Members

This is days away now, a really fun card and nobodyโ€™s talking about it. Sort it out.

Read over the last few days that the Hooker vs Haqparast fight was in jeopardy because Hooker was having a nightmare getting his US visa approved. Thankfully it appears thatโ€™s all sorted now and the fight is going ahead. Between this and Haqparast losing his mum the other day, this fight going ahead at all seems a bit miraculous. Watch them go and steal the show now.ย 

And while Iโ€™m here, Dan Hardyโ€™s breakdown for Diaz vs Lawler 2;

Good stuff this. Itโ€™s where Hardyโ€™s strength is as an analyst for me, more than as a colour commentator.ย 

Anyway, really looking forward to seeing how this fight goes. I loved the first fight but it was 17 years ago so itโ€™s kind of pointless reading anything into that at this point. Theyโ€™re both older, slower but way more experienced and in Lawlerโ€™s case a lot less reckless. To the point of being too hesitant at times in recent fights. Fuck knows how it plays out but I canโ€™t wait for it.

I know some are probably moaning about them both being past it but fuck that. Itโ€™s the right fight for both at this moment in time. Diaz being fed to a young killer after 6 years out wouldโ€™ve been a huge wasted opportunity and wouldโ€™ve most likely ended his comeback there and then. And Lawlerโ€™s at the point in his career where a fight like this could tell us a lot. People are acting like heโ€™s completely shot but heโ€™s been losing to the likes of Covington and Magny recently. The kind of grinders who he wouldโ€™ve likely had problems with at any stage in his career. Heโ€™s definitely on the slide, not denying that, but I still think he can go against the right style of opponent. Itโ€™s why I was wanting to see that Mike Perry fight and was gutted when they finally booked it last year only for it to fall apart. I think here, seeing him against someone from his era, whoโ€™s gonna be willing to strike with him, will give us a better read on what heโ€™s got left. If he wins, not so much maybe, because that could just be that Diaz is done. But if Lawler looks gun-shy and gets beat up here, against a guy whoโ€™s been out of the game for years, yeah itโ€™s probably over for Ruthless Rob.

Itโ€™s certainly a way more preferable matchup to that Diaz vs Khamzat Chimaev fight some were pushing for a few months back. Iโ€™d rather see two fading legends have a competitive and entertaining fight than see one of them just sacrificed to an up and comer. As much as I understand the need to build for the future and give prospects โ€˜the rubโ€™ of facing and beating established names, sometimes doing a fun fight just for the sake of a fun fight is the way to go.

Oh and Volkโ€™s about to (hopefully) clatter Ortega as well. Why the crickets?

Me on this page so farโ€ฆ

325FA858-9F12-4DD9-95EA-463CB5995E87.gif

Edited by wandshogun09

This card is stacked and I cannot wait.

One criticism is that it's too stacked and it's annoying to see a former main eventer like Hooker buried on the prelims when there a few recent fight night cards past and in the future that could really benefit from having his name on the main card/main event.

The main event is very intriguing, Volk is the favourite but I actually think Ortega might just edge it. It's so hard to know for sure though.

It's always fun to see Valentina fight, even if they are one sided, the anticipation/nerves will always there that there might be an unfortunate slip up at any moment during the fight.

For me though, the return of Nick Diaz is the main event for me, I cannot wait. It's going to be so much fun. I am going to inject every bit of Nick Diaz content the UFC put out into myย veins this week! Iย can't wait for embedded.ย 

Makes you wonder why the UFC don't play ball with either of the brothers. They clearly bring in the views and the clicks (and maybe the PPV buys), why do they hate dealing with them so much? I feel they do it out of principle as they don't want to set a precedent......in typing this I guess I have answered my own question there. That's exactly why the UFC don't play ball.

• Paid Members

On the subject of lack of buzz, i think its just got to a point now where pre-fight hype doesnt really kick in until the wednesday/thursday before the event. So much happens now that all chatter seems to be reserved for the week of.

I mean Joshua/Usyk is this week and it feels very quiet and thats a massive fight, but i expect to ramp up when the fighters are on location and the press start showing up. Same with this UFC event. Everything is crammed into the last few days nowadays.

• Paid Members
6 hours ago, Egg Shen said:

On the subject of lack of buzz, i think its just got to a point now where pre-fight hype doesnt really kick in until the wednesday/thursday before the event. So much happens now that all chatter seems to be reserved for the week of.

Thereโ€™s definitely truth to that but even still, Iโ€™ve never known a card like this be met with silence on here. I guess people have got so used to fights falling through that it seems almost pointless discussing them which is a shame.

Speaking of which, itโ€™s one hurdle after another with this Hooker vs Haqparast fight. Hooker got his visa issues cleared up, now a day or so laterโ€ฆ

Fuck me. He returned to Germany because of the death of his mother and to attend to the funeral. At this point itโ€™ll be a minor miracle if this fight actually goes ahead. Itโ€™ll suck now if it gets cancelled because of this. For both of them. For Hooker to go through all that rigmarole to get his visa problems resolved only to not get to fight because of his opponentโ€™s visa issues would be shite. And obviously Haqparast has been determined to push on with this fight despite the loss of his mum so itโ€™ll be crap if he doesnโ€™t get to fight as well. Just seems like itโ€™s cursed though. Every time one obstacle gets resolved another one appears.ย 

Edited by wandshogun09

• Paid Members

Just a few.

Oh and Joe Rogan isnโ€™t gonna be shitting this one up. According to MMA Junkie heโ€™s not doing commentary on Saturday. The team is gonna be Jon Anik, Daniel Cormier and Paul Felder. Nice to see Felder get on the PPVs for a change.ย 

• Paid Members

Well, that'll start things off well even before we've had a fight.ย 

On my 7 day week this week and mostly late shifts, so kinda forgot all about this PPV. Especially as I haven't watched last weekends fight night yet, which would have reminded me about it.ย 

I'm amazed Diaz and Lawler has made it this far, even if it does fall apart before Saturday. Always expected this to go tits up. At least we're far enough in to have gotten countdown and embedded out of it at a minimum! God knows what happens in this one. Should be fun though. Diaz is much more like the type of opponent I would have for Robbie at this stage. There's fun fights out there for both these men, if they have something left, without feeding either to in prime wrestlers who will grind them out. Neither man needs to fight contenders, so there should be no issue matching them suitably.ย 

The main event is a great fight. Two of the three best in the division, in one of the best divisions in the sport. Nothing not to love there about the quality level of the fight. I don't like Ortega though and whilst I don't feel that way about Volkanovski, I haven't warmed to him as a personality if I'm honest. I hope he beats Ortega, but the more interesting outcome for the division could be the opposite result. Should be a great fight though.

If Ortega wins, I'd forget all about Holloway Vs Yair and book Holloway Vs Ortega. If Volkanovski wins? Who knows. Zabit is out indefinitely. Kattar is out of the running. Yair hasn't earnt a shot in my opinion, despite his high ranking. Zombie has been beaten by Yair. It's a bit of a mess then I think.ย 

If I was having a bet on it all? I'd bet my right nut that Valentina wins. I'd bet my left nut that Diaz and Robbie don't even fake for a takedown, never mind do one. I wouldn't bet more than a handful of ball hairs on the winner of the main event, though I'd flick those ball hairs in the direction of Volkanovski.ย 

14 hours ago, wandshogun09 said:

Thereโ€™s definitely truth to that but even still, Iโ€™ve never known a card like this be met with silence on here. I guess people have got so used to fights falling through that it seems almost pointless discussing them which is a shame.

Exactly where my head's been at with this card- and most cards lately. This one in particular though because Volko was on the doorstep of the fight earlier this year, only for COVID to swoop in at the last moment. Should it all go ahead, it's a night of fantastic fights that I can't wait to watch. But I can't let myself get excited until after weigh-ins go down... and even then, it's not totally guaranteed.

I think Volko is motivated to make a statement here. He knows all the negative chatter around his last defence, plus COVID forcing a longer lay-off. I think he'll be more aggressive than he's been in recent fights, plus it seemed like Ortega's cockiness did get under his skin a bit on TUF.

Not fussed on Shevchenko vs. Murphy. Feels like Murphy is there just because Valentina already battered everyone else.

So, Diaz vs. Lawler is at middleweight. A little odd that triathlete Nick Diaz didn't want to cut the weight, but I suppose it's been 6 years or so since he's had to do it. Hopefully, the fact that Diaz and Lawler aren't depleting their bodies will lead to a wilder fight on the weekend.

Should be fantastic, provided everyone makes it to the cage.