Canelo vs Saunders - May 8 πŸ₯Š πŸ‡²πŸ‡½ πŸ‡¬πŸ‡§

wandshogun09

Who wins and how?   

16 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Paid Members

That's great. You rarely see Canelo drop his guard and banter like that, he's usuallyΒ all business. His English is really good too.

Did Andrade really question who Canelo has fought though? πŸ˜„

Edited by Egg Shen

Finally got a chance to see the fight after a busy weekend and avoiding spoilers.

Well, it didn't quite work out as I thought (hey, even the greats get it wrong every now & then) but I thought Saunders looked pretty damn good until that shot that caught him flush and caused the damage.Β 

At that stage I had him 1 round behind, but up to that point I never thought he looked out of his depth or like the chump that many in the US were painting him as. And the chat afterwards of Saunders only seeing success early on because Canelo allowed it? Please. I'm assuming the wild swings that were miles off catching the slick Saunders were all part of the plan as well, right? Fucking Americans. And the Mexican lot aren't much better.Β 

Canelo looked legit perturbed by an opponent not named Triple G actually having the temerity to bring the fight to him and not just wilt and be happy to see out the fight and lose on points.

Despite the damage to his eye, I think Saunders stock will have risen in the US. Hopefully he can capitalise on it before long and get in there with some other decent fighters.Β 

• Paid Members

considering Billy Joe landed 21% of his shots compared to Canelo's 35% you could say the swining and missing was coming from the Saunders corner πŸ˜‰

That aside, ive listened to a few post fight podcasts and read some reports and it appears nobody saw that fight the same way. The actual scoring seems to be close across the board (the most absurd card was Chris Mannix having Saunders 3 rounds up on the broadcast). What's weird though is that everyone got their scorecard in different ways.

Example was round 4. To my eyes it was a clear Canelo round. The punch stats reflect that, Saunders landing just 5 punches compared to Canelo's 15. Yet, the DAZN unanimously gave it to Saunders andΒ it seems that talk may have influenced so many others scoring the fight.Β 

Here's how i had it (on first and only viewing):

20210512_144656.thumb.jpg.bbe273f8e3987dea7ff46bc0df783d08.jpg

Β 

Edited by Egg Shen

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=jWcP0ylbuVI

This is the best analysis of the fight i have seen. It is all about levels. Canelo is elite, Saunders isnt. Saunders maybe didnt look out of his depth for a total of 2 or 3 minutes of the fight. Canelo was getting warmed up. Saunders got smashed. Saunders fans will say he didnt look out of his depth, but he did. He was blowing out of his arse after 2 rounds. He was fucked from the body shots.

He has never lived the life. Even 7 years ago when he was in his early 20’s he struggled to keep Eubank of him. Eubank who was/is a novis.

Saunders at 168 isΒ overrated pond life. He has never proved himself at the weight and isΒ only at the weightΒ through ill discipline and a champion through fraudulent match making. HeΒ fought a bum to win the title and had struggled since. I’d fancy Eubank to beat him, who is probably naturally 2 stone lighter than him.Β 

Edited by Mr Lawrence

2 minutes ago, Mr Lawrence said:

He has never lived the life. Even 7 years ago when he was in his early 20’s he struggled to keep Eubank of him. Eubank who was/is a novis.

This is true.Β  He barely trained for the Eubank fight apparently.Β 

Β 

On 5/10/2021 at 12:13 AM, Egg Shen said:

That's great. You rarely see Canelo drop his guard and banter like that, he's usuallyΒ all business. His English is really good too.

Did Andrade really question who Canelo has fought though? πŸ˜„

I think Andrade was trying to say, β€œwho had Rocky Fielding fought” to get to fight Canelo.Β 

For what its worth, i think he would give Canelo alot more problems than Saunders did.Β Β 

13 hours ago, Mr Lawrence said:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=jWcP0ylbuVI

This is the best analysis of the fight i have seen. It is all about levels. Canelo is elite, Saunders isnt. Saunders maybe didnt look out of his depth for a total of 2 or 3 minutes of the fight. Canelo was getting warmed up. Saunders got smashed. Saunders fans will say he didnt look out of his depth, but he did. He was blowing out of his arse after 2 rounds. He was fucked from the body shots.

Saunders at 168 isΒ overrated pond life. He has never proved himself at the weight and isΒ only at the weightΒ through ill discipline and a champion through fraudulent match making. HeΒ fought a bum to win the title and had struggled since. I’d fancy Eubank to beat him, who is probably naturally 2 stone lighter than him.Β 

You talk as if he's the only guy who's run into a brick wall in Canelo.Β 

Let's be honest, out of all of Canelo's opponents, Saunders certainly isn't the easiest win he's had. I saw Saunders make Canelo miss, and actually snap Canelo's head back like I've rarely seen anyone else do.Β 

Look, I know he's a reprehensible individual. No one here is denying that. But as far as boxing goes, it's a bit laughable to attempt to downplay his ability. I know everyone was secretly hoping he'd get blasted out early doors like a chump, but he didn't. He looked very fucking good considering he was a weight level above where he should be and fighting one of the best fighters of all time.

Can anyone honestly say that they'd stick their life savings on him losing against Andrade, Charlo or even Eubank? I know some say they would, but they know that they wouldn't.Β 

We can all laugh, but at the end of the day when Saunders vision clears in that eye he's going to be staring at a cheque for around $8 million. He's in there fighting Canelo, he's putting it on the line. The rest who sit on the couch and tap away on their keyboard (which includes myself) are the pond life in this discussion.

Β 

• Paid Members

I wouldnt say it was an easy win, but it was comfortable. Even if the injury hadnt happened i think Canelo would have got rid of him between 9-12.

Id love to see Saunders come back and fight Andrade, Eubank etc. i cant see it though, i aint sure he comes back.

Β 

37 minutes ago, Egg Shen said:

Id love to see Saunders come back and fight Andrade, Eubank etc. i cant see it though, i aint sure he comes back.

He'll be back I think. Maybe take a tune-up fight first, then he should be looking to get back into the Middleweight mix.Β 

• Paid Members

Middlweights the best place for him. Those Super Middle belts are gonna scatter soon though because if Canelo fights and beats Plant he'll likely vacate and goto Light Heavy. But hopefully fights David Benavidez before be does.