Canelo vs Saunders - May 8 🥊 🇲🇽 🇬🇧

wandshogun09

Who wins and how?   

16 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

56 minutes ago, jimufctna24 said:

Brits only support some of their own. Most of us got behind Bruno, Hatton and Joshua. Yet, for various reasons we never fully got behind Khan or Lennox Lewis.  

Personally, I tend to support whoever I fancy the most. 

Yeah, that's what I mean though. You'd very rarely see an American going against the ol' "USA! USA! USA!" or a Mexican go against a fighter from his or her country.

29 minutes ago, Carbomb said:

That's odd, I always remember people being behind Lewis, even if they were a little detached. Same with Calzaghe, I guess. Am fairly sure people loved Benn, Eubank, and Prince Naseem too.

Also, I was rooting for Fury against Wilder - nothing against Wilder at the time; he seemed like an OK guy before he went off the deep end after the loss, but Fury, despite having some shitty views, hadn't really hurt anyone, and he'd really won me over with his struggle and comeback. And I've never liked the American arrogance displayed towards British boxers, so it was sweet as anything to see Fury completely outclass the big American deal in the one aspect of boxing that commentators can't really undermine, i.e. pure technical ability, and then show insane heart in getting up from that bomb.

Another reason for wanting Fury to do well (and I'm aware this is going to have people rolling their eyes and going "Oh, Carbomb") is that I wanted to see a Traveller get to the top during a time when the fucking Tories were going after them again - was roughly around this time that that piece of shit Priti Patel was trying to start something on the community.

BJS on the hand did shit to homeless people. Fuck him.

The British boxing fan at the time, in many cases, although not everyone by any stretch, didn't get behind Naz. Which always bemused me, as he was like the smarmy talented midfielder that every fan wants on their team and every opposition fan hates.

I thought Naz was great. He really stuck it to the Americans at a time when they thought they owned boxing even more than they do now. I couldn't understand at the time why we were hating on one of our own for being smarmy, cocky and confident. I loved that about him. If he'd been American and beating up on my British favourites I'd have hated him mind you.

Only later in life did I come to understand why Naz was hated. Same as why Khan gets shit. 

12 minutes ago, Keith Houchen said:

That was doing my fucking swede in. The only thing that could’ve made it ok is if Lesnar appeared doing his little Mexican dance. 

Or just stormed the ring, grabbed BJS and F5'ed his broken socket, quitting carcass right through the ring.

• Paid Members

A big reason Naseem divided opinion was because of the arrogance and that flashy, cocky style. Anytime you get a guy clowning in the ring/cage you are gonna get a certain group of people wanting to see him get his comeuppance. Its the same reason MVP gets it in MMA, people just want to see that stuff backfire.

23 minutes ago, Egg Shen said:

A big reason Naseem divided opinion was because of the arrogance and that flashy, cocky style. Anytime you get a guy clowning in the ring/cage you are gonna get a certain group of people wanting to see him get his comeuppance. Its the same reason MVP gets it in MMA, people just want to see that stuff backfire.

Yeah, but with Naz I'm willing to bet that some of the "fans" who shat on him for doing it will be the same ones who cheer on BJS for doing it.

26 minutes ago, Egg Shen said:

Both Khan and Naz have personality traits that understandably rub people the wrong way.

Still, a lot of the hate they receive is because they are Muslims. 

• Paid Members

i see what you're hinting at, but from an in-ring standpoint they are night and day. Outside of that Lemieux fight that Saunders clowned a little in, he's pretty much all business in the ring. People dont like Saunders because he's an arsehole, it has nothing to do with his boxing ability.

1 hour ago, David said:

Only later in life did I come to understand why Naz was hated. Same as why Khan gets shit. 

Yup. I can’t see qwhite why he was hated in some circles. It’s one of the reasons I often compared him with McG. I’d point out the valid parts, such as supreme self confidence and strikes from unconventional angles. But some of it was because I knew McG lickers couldn’t disagree as the reasons they loved McG were supposedly the same reasons they hated Naz. Nothing to do with when a brown Muslim does it it’s bad, but good when a white Christian does it. 

20 minutes ago, Keith Houchen said:

Yup. I can’t see qwhite why he was hated in some circles. It’s one of the reasons I often compared him with McG. I’d point out the valid parts, such as supreme self confidence and strikes from unconventional angles. But some of it was because I knew McG lickers couldn’t disagree as the reasons they loved McG were supposedly the same reasons they hated Naz. Nothing to do with when a brown Muslim does it it’s bad, but good when a white Christian does it. 

McGregor has a ton of people who hate him for doing the same shite too. From the hardcore MMA fans to alot of the average men on the street. Like say the average man trying to enjoy his pint in his local and had the div shoving a cup of his shit whiskey at him.

Naseem came around just as I was getting into boxing so I followed his whole career. I loved him as I blindly followed all world class British fighters at the time and he was a fantastic fighter to watch. This was before social media helped expose just how big a dickhead some of these sportsmen can be too. Naz was so arrogant I dread to think what he would have been like given Twitter and a constant 24 hour window into his late 90s world tbh.

Looking back Naz was never going to be loved like Bruno or Benn. He didn't just take that jump over the ropes from Eubank, he took the "if you hate me I don't care, your going to pay to see your favourite beat me". I remember the first interview I read with him in Boxing Monthly. He was like 5 fights in to his pro career and was declaring himself the future of boxing and unbeatable.  That stuff seemed amazing to the 15 year old me but I wonder how the 41 year old me would like it.

Do I think theres a section of fuckwits who hated him because of his skin colour or religion, yes. But then there was more who hated him for being a prima donna and dick outside the ring. The stories that would leak about him on at the time were Conor esque. Doing drink, drugs and prostitutes and crazy partying whilst claiming to live a clean Muslim life had other Muslims rolling their eyes at him as well. He was by many accounts a horrible prick to deal with for a long time. 

3 minutes ago, Cousin Jim Bob said:

McGregor has a ton of people who hate him for doing the same shite too.

Aye he did/does but my point is those who loved him for it hated Nas for it. And they hated Nas because he wasn’t a good, know your place minority like Bruno, he acted like he was better than white people. 

For clarity, I’m not saying everyone who loved McG’s shite hated Nas, I bet there are many who don’t know Hamed, I’m saying plenty of racists hated Nas for supposedly being what exactly McG is. 

I loved Nas as a fighter and a mouthy twat but yeah away from Boxing he was an arsehole. 

14 minutes ago, Keith Houchen said:

Aye he did/does but my point is those who loved him for it hated Nas for it. And they hated Nas because he wasn’t a good, know your place minority like Bruno, he acted like he was better than white people. 

For clarity, I’m not saying everyone who loved McG’s shite hated Nas, I bet there are many who don’t know Hamed, I’m saying plenty of racists hated Nas for supposedly being what exactly McG is. 

I loved Nas as a fighter and a mouthy twat but yeah away from Boxing he was an arsehole. 

Is there a huge army of racist McGregor fans ? I don't associate with or follow any racists online. 

When I was about 13 or 14, me and my mate were walking through the centre of Leeds one Saturday afternoon. There was a bit of a commotion across the road. When we looked, Prince Naseem was there with his Mrs and their little one in a pushchair. I was too busy staring at him and walked bollocks-first into a bollard. I'm not saying it was his fault directly that it took me and Mrs Panhead a couple of years to conceive... 

12 minutes ago, Cousin Jim Bob said:

Is there a huge army of racist McGregor fans ? I don't associate with or follow any racists online. 

Fucking loads. Combat sport always attracts racists. A lot of Irish ones I’ve noticed started to refer to Muslims as rats after McG called Khabib one for example. 

31 minutes ago, Keith Houchen said:

Fucking loads. Combat sport always attracts racists. A lot of Irish ones I’ve noticed started to refer to Muslims as rats after McG called Khabib one for example. 

Yes I think Conor has sadly had a whole bunch of comments that lean that way. "Dance for me boy" at Floyd, cholo at Diaz and Dennis Siver a Nazi. I'm sure he has denied he was "actually" being racist after and given bollocks excuses. When truth is he probably was. I guess I can see him appealling to the "I'm not racist but...." crowd.

• Paid Members
10 hours ago, Keith Houchen said:

Yeah that one pops up all the time now. Whenever there’s something about Khabib and McGregor on Twitter you can bet there’ll be McGregor fans in the comments throwing out the rat thing. Same with Khamzat Chimaev, he gets ‘rat lip’ ever since McGregor tweeted it at him then deleted.