UFC Vegas: Whittaker vs Gastelum - Apr 17 ๐Ÿ‡บ๐Ÿ‡ธ

wandshogun09

Who wins and how?   

11 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Paid Members
10 hours ago, jimufctna24 said:

ย 

I just don't want Till to be anywhere near the belt. He's one of the most unlikeable pricks in MMA history.ย 

Don't worry Jim, he won't be. He's not good enough. I don't see how he ever will be either. Thankfully. I'd be seriously surprised if he could beat three top ten fighters at middleweight without picking up three losses along the way.

• Paid Members

Finally updated the opening postย with the latest card, Arlovski stepping in, Ramos vs Algeo is off โ€˜cause COVID but weโ€™re now getting the UFC debut of Hairy Bush. Yeah, you read it right.ย 

Edited by wandshogun09

• Paid Members

found myself completely neglecting the UFC buildup for the boxing this weekend, but Stephens/Kloseย seems to developing into a bit of a grudge match. Stephens is 0-5-1 going in ๐Ÿ˜ฆ

ย 

Surely this is a first?

ย 

Tonightโ€™s Jeremy Stephens x Drakkar Klose fight has been canceled, per the broadcast.ย 

Klose suffered an injury as a result of this push at yesterdayโ€™s official weigh-ins, per sources. Specific injury details not disclosed at this time.

ย 

ย 

Awesome performance by Whittaker. Genuinely shocked that Kelvin walked through some of those shots.

A more patient, composed Whittaker could actually give Adesanya a fight. He was pretty reckless in that title loss. Think he thought he could take Izzy's power after surviving Yoel's best. Calm Rob is a problem. He looked leagues about Gastelum, who was still game all five rounds.

• Paid Members

Well that was a bit shit. Of the 10 fights on the card, 8 went the distance. Iโ€™m not one of these MMA fans who slags a card off just because it was mostly decisions but this was pretty dull stuff on the whole. Decisions are fine if the action is good but a lot of these fights just never got going. Oh well.

As Shane O said, top performance from Robert Whittaker in the main event. I donโ€™t really know how you donโ€™t give him the title shot after this. The run heโ€™s been on with really strong wins over Till, Cannonier and now Gastelum beats what anyone else at 185 has done to make a case. Vettori is the only other one currently in the running for me but I donโ€™t think his recent showings are on the level of Whittakerโ€™s. The only thing I can see ballsing it up is Dana had that weird thing in his head that Whittaker โ€˜didnโ€™t want the fightโ€™ before so he could still be a dick about it I suppose. Adesanya vs Whittaker 2 is a no brainer at this point though. Gastelum is tough as shite but we knew that. How he hung in there after some of the punishment he was taking I donโ€™t know. But between this and the war with Izzy, you worry about what shape a guy like Gastelum is going to be in when he retires. I donโ€™t think people realise heโ€™s not even 30 yet and heโ€™s got more miles on him than OJ in the white Bronco. He went on a right slump after the Adesanya fight as well, who knows how much this has taken out of him now.

Rest of the main card wasnโ€™t much good. Wasnโ€™t like the fights were terrible but they all just resembled sparring matches and never really got out of second gear. Was happy to see Andrei Arlovski and Tracy Cortez get wins, although both actual fights werenโ€™tย the best. Apartย from that there was nothing positive to take from it.

Romanov vs Espino was slow moving and not what youโ€™d call exciting but I was quite enjoying the grappling battle until the shitty ending with the knee to the bollocks. Seriously whatโ€™s going on lately? Nearly every card these days seems to have at least one fight that ends in controversy. Disappointing. Obviously we didnโ€™t feel the knee but it didnโ€™t even look like much yet Romanov was rolling around like he was dying. It didnโ€™t look like the hardest knee but it was also coming from a Heavyweight and it was on target so who are we to judge? Iโ€™ve never taken a knee to the spuds from a 18st man before and Iโ€™m fine with that.

Penne vs Godinez was nothing. I was looking forward to seeing Godinez make her debut as well but the circumstances werenโ€™t ideal with the short notice and it didnโ€™t pan out. Still, she might have lost but she did provide the only highlight from the fight...

999D9EB5-7426-4AA7-9045-FE6EA1D0E9A3.gif

A fucking powerbomb! Have it. Hopefully we get to see her with a full camp next time. Sucks that her debut resulted in a loss to a no hoper like Penne but what can you do?

Heโ€™s back! Gerald Meerschaert with the first round submission and a sweet guillotine.

8C96DAFF-CA45-4CD4-9A3C-406D77D6BA7F.gif

Step one on the road to the title is complete. Loved the post-fight interview as well. Bisping telling him heโ€™s now got the most submissions in UFC Middleweight history, which is cool. And then Gez drops the news that heโ€™s gonna be a dad any day now. Warms the heart. Him coming out to DMX was a nice little tribute as well. Good man.

Tony Gravely scored a nice knockout in the curtain jerker on Fight Pass as well. The card started well enough then went downhill.ย 

Bit cack. Whittaker vs Gastelum was worth the time and the whole Meerschaert bit was great but you can miss the rest and miss nothing. This card really couldโ€™ve doneย with that Stephens vs Klose fight.ย