Marvin Hagler has passed away.

jimufctna24

• Paid Members

Oh fuck off. Absolutely gutted. What sad an unexpected news to wake up to. Probably my favourite boxer ever. Even though he retired when I was about 2, my uncle got me into Boxing later and I went back and must’ve watched pretty much every fight of his that there’s recorded footage of. At that age I didn’t even know why I liked him but there was just something about him. Thought he must be made of iron or something. Best Middleweight ever for me and always seemed a nice man and class act outside the ring. Gutted.

F0B5B984-6D9B-4D7A-9EE1-390485199FEE.gif

RIP Marvelous. 

• Paid Members

ahh sad news 😔 

in recent times with so much boxing being on TV ive really fallen off with going back and watching old stuff. Im gonna have to go back and binge some Marvin though.

RIP Marvelous Marvin Hagler

Edited by Egg Shen

It was only really 5 years ago or so that I properly read up about the Fab 4/4 Kings and watched a lot of their fights. I became a fan of all 4 of them, much more so than the best boxers of the 90s (Chavez, Jones Jr, Whittaker), and the 00s (Pac, Mayweather). 

With Hagler, it was his run at Middleweight, and his all-time great wins over Duran and Hearns that cemented his legacy with experts/historians. Those performances probably put him above Hearns, Jones Jr and any boxer who competed in the 2010s (can you believe that Duran and Hearns will still knocking about in the early to mid 2000s?). Of course, there was also the Leonard fight, for which the decision has been debated to the point of exhaustion. I personally had Hagler winning by 2 rounds when I watched it back last year. Hagler would have almost certainly had won if he hadn't requested one of the judges be removed (the removed judge scored the fight in his favour from home) and had he not opted to box right-handed in the opening 2 rounds. 

But to most casual observers, it will be the shootout with Hearns that he will be remembered for. It's a bittersweet fight for me personally, as Hearns is probably my favourite boxer of all-time. Yet, I can't deny that it's a cracking spectacle that still holds up today. For many, it is/was the height of their boxing fandom. 

Rip Marv. 

Edited by jimufctna24

• Paid Members
3 hours ago, jimufctna24 said:

But to most casual observers, it will be the shootout with Hearns that he will be remembered for. It's a bittersweet fight for me personally, as Hearns is probably my favourite boxer of all-time. Yet, I can't deny that it's a cracking spectacle that still holds up today. For many, it is/was the height of their boxing fandom. 

He's one of my favourites too, loved that style, and yeh - it is definitely bittersweet. But Hagler was such a fucking destroyer, it's hard not to be impressed. Probably the best era of boxing ever.

RIP "Marvellous" Marvin.

• Paid Members

Don’t know if anyone saw but there was some talk that Hagler’s death was related to a reaction or complications from the COVID vaccination. It all stemmed from an Instagram post by Thomas Hearns (don’t know if it was actually Hearns though) that was then shared around by other Boxing figures, Michelle Joy Phelps being one of them. Hagler’s wife’s shot that talk down though in this statement from his official Facebook page. It’s a shame she’s had to come out and make statements like this at a time when she’s mourning and the loss is still so fresh. I don’t know if it was the real Hearns and he was just mistaken or someone pretending to be Hearns to push some anti-vaccination agenda. If it’s the latter it’s all kinds of messed up. 

EC520E96-7365-4966-A9D0-594AECA7571A.jpeg

89E04568-6CEC-407D-8F06-D2C4F39753D6.jpeg

A9445E15-62A4-4238-9A7C-AFDCED55B0C6.jpeg

Sad that the passing of a boxing legend has been hijacked by the usual arseholes who are all over this kind of misinformation.

What's that? His wife says it wasn't the vaccine? Well, she would say that, wouldn't she? Obviously been bought by ~BIG PHARMA~

• Paid Members

was gonna share that myself, some incredible fan made videos on youtube.

For years i only saw the Hagler/Hearns fight on some grainy VHS ripped video. The beauty of the internet and streaming is that great fights are constantly getting re-aired and re-captured. So here's the fight in good nick...