UK wrestling in 1993

DAVEYJONESGIANTSQUID

• Paid Members
18 hours ago, JNLister said:

It's a series they did of 10-minute clip shows of different elements of World of Sport, including this episode on wrestling. It gets shown fairly frequently as it's designed as a filler whenever they have a 50-minute show in a one-hour slot, or similar.

Not for ITV, but I used to work in scheduling and these fillers are part of a big list on the scheduling system that can just be dropped into the slot to fill the time and ensure the next  programme starts on time (or at least no more than 30 seconds early), so there's a good chance whoever puts these in has no major insight into the content and they will just rotate the 10-minute fillers so they aren't played out too often.

Likely means the person in that role isn't necessarily a wrestling fan and how often the wrestling WOS filler goes out is entirely based on the duration required to fill around ad breaks and interstitial elements. 

Not wildly interesting, but a bit of a peak behind the curtain I suppose.

1 hour ago, mim731 said:

Not wildly interesting, but a bit of a peak behind the curtain I suppose.

Thanks for that, I found it interesting and indeed the whole thread!  It’s like when people complain about quiz shows how they don’t just answer the question and waffle on for a while. It’s so the show can run to it’s time and the editing team sort out which bits stay. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/19/2023 at 4:56 PM, JNLister said:

It's a series they did of 10-minute clip shows of different elements of World of Sport, including this episode on wrestling. It gets shown fairly frequently as it's designed as a filler whenever they have a 50-minute show in a one-hour slot, or similar.

Pity.  If they were re-running all the matches repackaged for TWC/Fight/M&M then they might show more bouts - eventually put on all Granada Archives' stash of 1960s b/w bouts with George Kidd and all the Riley's Gym crowd.

On 11/20/2023 at 1:29 PM, Keith Houchen said:

Thanks for that, I found it interesting and indeed the whole thread!  It’s like when people complain about quiz shows how they don’t just answer the question and waffle on for a while. It’s so the show can run to it’s time and the editing team sort out which bits stay. 

1993 was an interesting time in British wrestling, the final year of All Star's post-TV boom ending in Kendo's second retirement, and the final end of Big Daddy's career.

• 1 month later...