This Weekend's Boxing 🥊 (Haney vs. Garcia - April 20th)

Egg Shen

• Paid Members

Estrada and Gonzalez set the bar for FOTY last night. If there’s a better fight to come this year then I can’t wait to see it.

11624ECA-8B2F-4848-B1A4-6A5173460B0B.gif

This was the 12th (yes twelfth!) round. Insane fight. Lost track of the scoring, which is often a sign of a really great fight. But I felt like Gonzalez did enough by the final bell. Oh well. Could’ve gone either way though and I don’t begrudge Estrada the win. And now they’re 1-1 so a third fight has to happen.

That 117-111 scorecard can get to fuck though.

• Paid Members

This might be boxing blasphemy but i wasnt on high as the fight as you wand. Not that it wasnt awesome. Two guys throwing 2000+ punches, non stop, quality, bravery, skill. It has all that. It just settled into that kind of fight where you just became aware that either guy wasn't able to really hurt the other, so it lacked those real swings in momentum and dramatic moments for me. 

Enjoyed Estrada v Gonzalez for what it was. Really one of those fights where it's scored on what you enjoy from your boxing. Gonzalez threw and landed more but Estrada had more power on his shots. Gonzalez was so tight in the pocket, his punches were counted as power shots but he was so close they were like little pops on Estrada.

It was a very close fight but I thought Estrada won it. Dazn's American commentary was very pro Gonzalez. Constantly reminding us he's a living legend and ready for the hall of fame. Their scorecard was also favourable for Gonzalez.

• Paid Members

Hell of a performance by Okolie. He really seems to have turned the corner under Shane McGuigan. Great jab and a destructive right hand mixed with his natural awkwardness. Add that with his sheer size at Cruiserweight and the guys a problem. People are questioning what Glowacki had left and thinks he may have turned up the for the pay cheque but i think Okolie was just too much for him. Okolie did a better job on Glowacki that both Usyk and Breidis did. 

Okolie's been a polarising figure in British boxing until now, this was a career turning performance.

IMG_20210321_121624.jpg.74853b45f68bb4cbd319593e4e5569d6.jpg

Edited by Egg Shen

• Paid Members

Frank Warren double-header this weekend, Friday & Saturday:

IMG_20210324_140911.thumb.jpg.8bfc057abfc56be423f0879c01cfc4e2.jpg

IMG_20210324_140950.thumb.jpg.a934b70066805908fc99e0d9f2b03dd5.jpg

The cards have been by injuries so aint what they were originally advertised as. Lots of run outs for Warrens stable. 

Speaking of BT Boxing, any word on the status of Frampton/Herring? its next weekend and as far as i can see, has no broadcast plans. @d-d-d-dAz

• Paid Members

Don’t usually see this on the eve of a big fight. Jamel Herring’s wife on meeting Frampton and his team. 

Nice to see that. Hope Frampton gets it done tonight. 

Edited by wandshogun09

• Paid Members

I was never much of a Frampton fan until recently. It wasnt until he started his podcast and did more social media type stuff that i really warmed to him as a personality. Seems a top bloke. I think McGuigan factor turned off intially.

• Paid Members

Same here I was slow warming to him as well but I never really considering the McGuigan thing. That could be it. He does seem a genuinely nice bloke in interviews but I never got that sense so much years ago. Maybe that was because he was with McGuigan at the time and unhappy though.