Do we need more weight classes?

David

Jones would probably be a 3-weight world champion if they introduced a 225lbs and 195lbs divisions. Although, DC would have been a tougher nut to crack for him at 225lbs than at 205lbs. Other fighters would bounce all over the place if they introduced those divisions. Gusty could reinvent himself at 225lbs. As could Rumble. DC would have 3 weight classes to choose from. Miocic could also compete in the 225lbs division. 

Again, my only reservations are that the talent pool north of 185lbs is comparatively weak at present time. The UFC would have throw money around to tempt Bader, Nemkov, Phil Davis and others to the UFC to fill up the divisions. As also mentioned in this thread, I am pretty bored with the "champ-champ" stuff that holds up divisions, and with more weightclasses available to compete in, champion vs champion bouts will probably occur more often. The UFC could theoretically solve that by creating a rule saying that a fighter can only hold 1 belt at once, and they would have to forfeit their title if they elect to fight for the title in another division. That would also solve the interim title mess. 

So aye, there are cons to opening up more divisions, but the pros outweigh them. 

If UFC were to add another weight class,  I would like a super heavyweight division. Just get some massive lads to batter lumps out of each other. The only thing is that there wouldn't be much depth to the division and a lot of the fights that don't get finished early would end up being dull. It would still be fun to have the occasional match with some really big dudes.

• Paid Members

Historically, which legit fighters would have qualified for SHW? Lesnar, Sylvia (didn't he have a super-heavy fight in one promotion?), and Bigfoot. Perhaps Nelson, maybe Ngannou?

I was going to put forward Bob Sapp's name, but he hasn't been a legit MMA fighter since 2004. 

Lesnar, Carwin, Gan McGee, Semmy Schilt, BigFoot, Derrick Lewis, and Sylvia would all be candidates. Beyond credible fighters, freakshow fighters like Akebono, Zulu, Hong-man Choi, and indeed Bob Sapp would also qualify. 

It would either be the best spectacle ever, or utter shite, depending on how you want to look at it.

Edited by jimufctna24

12 hours ago, jimufctna24 said:

Again, my only reservations are that the talent pool north of 185lbs is comparatively weak at present time.

It would fill up over time though. There are guys who probably aren't that great at 185lbs, but who are too small to be effective at 205lbs, and we don't even know about them. Give them a weight class where they can be competitive and they may suddenly be players. 

14 minutes ago, wandshogun09 said:

Mark Hunt was cutting to make 265 for most of his UFC run if I’m remembering right. Definitely a few we’re all forgetting as well. 

There's a lot of times I've been watching the weigh-ins and some prelims heavyweight steps on the scale at 265lbs or 264lbs. There's plenty of dudes cutting down to 265.

A male super-heavyweight division in UFC wouldn't be any more viable than the womens featherweight division is. There isn't a reason to have one just because some guys are cutting weight to make 265. I've never seen a heavyweight looking like death warmed up to make weight like you do in some of the lighter weight classes. Maybe it's something Bellator should do a they're more about the crazy spectacle fights than the more legit sport appraoch of UFC.