Sign in to follow this  
wandshogun09

UFC São Paulo: Blachowicz vs Jacare - Nov 16 🇧🇷

Who wins and how?   

4 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Saturday 16th November in São Paulo, Brazil for this one. 

16-C04-C00-DEEA-4-EA1-A4-D2-5-B51496-F5-

ESPN+ MAIN CARD
Jan Blachowicz vs Jacare Souza 

Shogun Rua vs Sam Alvey

Charles Oliveira vs Jared Gordon 

Francisco Trinaldo vs Bobby Green 

Duda Santana vs Tracy Cortez 

Sérgio Moraes vs James Krause 

ESPN+ PRELIMS
Markus Perez vs Wellington Turman

Renan Barão vs Douglas Silva De Andrade 

Ricardo Ramos vs Luiz Garragorri  

Warlley Alves vs Randy Brown 

Antonio Arroyo vs Alessio Di Chirico 

Ariane Lipski vs Priscila Cachoeira

Is it just me or have the UFC stepped their poster game up recently? The Boston and Singapore ones are pretty shit but the 244, Moscow and this one are a noticeable improvement, IMO. Doesn’t really matter, just something I noticed. Anyway, I quite like the look of this. Apart from the horrifying prospect of a legend like Shogun potentially losing to fucking Sam Alvey. It’s a nice little card. 

991658-C6-2-E58-4-E26-919-A-6271653-D676

Jan Blachowicz vs Jacare Souza is a fight I don’t think anyone saw coming. Before this was announced all signs seemed to be pointing towards Blachowicz being next in line for a crack at Jon Jones. Blachowicz was hinting at it, Jones was putting out cryptic tweets about fight announcements coming soon and even Dana said it was looking like Big Jan would be getting the title shot. Then out of nowhere they swerved and we’re getting this instead. Not mad about it myself. Jon vs Jan didn’t do much for me as a potential title fight anyway. Jones has had a fairly busy 12 months so I’m quite happy to see him sit out and let the division play itself out a bit. Between this fight, Reyes vs Weidman, Walker vs Anderson and Rakic vs Oezdemir, we should have a clearer picture by the end of the year on who gets the title shot in 2020. 

Anyway, this is an interesting matchup in its own right. Blachowicz is a good fighter. He’s won 5 of his last 6, the only loss being to Thiago Santos. He’s beat Jimi Manuwa, Jared Cannonier and he knocked out Luke Rockhold in his last fight. Good man. Jacare is moving up to 205 here after mixed results over the last couple of years at 185. One of the best grapplers in the game and when it’s all said and done might go down as one of the best fighters to never win UFC gold. He’s talked a lot recently about his struggles with mental health which is a shame but also refreshing to hear a fighter talk openly about it. He’s always seemed like one of the nicest guys in the sport so it’d be nice to see him have some success at Light Heavyweight before he retires. He’ll be 40 in December so you have to assume this is probably his last run. Should be a good fight. 

0549-BF2-D-9-F79-433-F-8-EC1-42292547-EF

Shogun Rua vs Sam Alvey is the fight on the card where my heart is going to be in my mouth. Shogun is one of my two favourite MMA fighters of all time. I think I’ve mentioned that before and if I didn’t then the username should’ve given it away. Him and Wanderlei Silva got me hooked on MMA. They were a brilliant tag team. Loved the yin and yang of Wandy being a crazed violent lunatic and Shogun being this placid but silent assassin. On the face of it they were like a rabid rottweiler knocking about with a golden retriever. But they both had a bite on them. It’s been tough watching Shogun over the last decade though. He’s collected up injuries and beatings like I collected Pogs in the mid 90s. He’s still managed to win 4 of his last 5 fights, which is remarkable considering his bones must have all the durability of prawn crackers these days. He’s been out of action since December 2018, when he knocked out Tyson Pedro in Australia. I was low-key hoping he’d quietly retired but here we go again. And to make it worse he’s fighting Sam Alvey. The grinning goof. I’ve heard so many times over the years how likeable Alvey is but it’s always baffled me. I just can’t take to him. He’s already got a win over the ghost of Rashad Evans. I don’t think I can handle this jobber adding Shogun’s name to his resume. Here’s hoping Shogun just crumbles this berk quick. 

4-D5673-D4-0-A22-4-FD3-96-F8-BA094940-E4

Charles Oliveira vs Jared Gordon. I’ll have some of this. If Oliveira is on a card I’m watching him. One of the more under appreciated fighters on the roster for me in terms of being great to watch. And he’s on top form at the moment as well, to be fair. He’s won 5 in a row and finished all 5 of them. Over good fighters as well. Nik Lentz, Jim Miller and Clay Guida all got stopped by him. Gordon is a tough dude with a 15-3 record and has overcome drug addiction to get where he is today. He’s up against it here, I don’t fancy his chances against Oliveira, but it should be a solid fight regardless. 

DF66782-E-922-D-4-CEB-8470-1-C67-F413279

Francisco Trinaldo vs Bobby Green is a battle of experienced, crafty, grizzled veterans. Trinaldo must be nearing the end now. He’s 41 years old, 23-7 and has been alternating between wins and losses over his last few fights. Green has fallen on hard times too. He’s 1-4-1 in his last 6. He’s always been a good technician but it’s just not going his way and he tends to switch off in fights and let rounds slip away. Kind of has the feel of a ‘loser leaves’ town fight to me, this one. 

229-FC4-C5-C1-EB-4-AFD-9-A6-D-C388-EF7-B

Duda Santana vs Tracy Cortez might be worth a gander. Santana is Brazilian with a 3-1 record. Lost her UFC debut to Bea Malecki on the Sweden card in June. It’s the Octagon debut of Cortez you want here. She’s 25 years old, 6-1 record and on a 6 fight winning streak. She’s fought for Invicta, Combate Americas and got a win on Dana’s Contender Series in her last fight. She’s got a touching story. She got into MMA because her brother was a fighter and it was his dream to get to the UFC. He beat former UFC fighter Drew Fickett in 2008 but his career was cut short when he was diagnosed with cancer. He died in 2011. Sad stuff. I’ve only seen little clips of Cortez but I think there’s some potential there. Plus she’s Latin and hot as fuck which won’t do her any harm marketability-wise. 

28-A585-ED-E169-489-F-BDBB-3094163467-C0

Sérgio Moraes vs James Krause is an OK fight. Not in love with it or anything but it should be inoffensive enough. Quite liked Moraes on TUF Brazil years ago. Good guy. He hasn’t done much in the UFC since. Top grappler though. Krause has quietly put together a decent 5 fight win streak but he’s had a fair few layoffs mixed in there as well. Not a bad little fight but can’t say I’m counting the days or anything. 

E07-BA58-C-C563-419-E-BF9-F-65-EB18-DE3-

Markus Perez vs Wellington Turman is alright. Was meant to be Perez vs Jack Marshman which I was much more up for. This might be decent though. Perez likes a scrap and he’ll be the crowd favourite here. He was born in São Paulo. He’s had a hot and cold run of results lately but he comes into this one off a sweet anaconda choke submission over Anthony Hernandez in February. Turman I’m less familiar with. He’s from Curitiba, 15-3 with 11 finishes. Lost his UFC debut to Karl Roberson in July. 

4-D3-F2186-2-EB5-4-CFC-B96-B-8-CAF78015-

Renan Barão vs Douglas Silva De Andrade then. Who knows what to make of this in 2019? Barão just seems so far removed from the animal he was in his prime. To think he was almost unanimously considered one of the top three pound-for-pound fighters in the game in 2014. Some even ranked him top of that list. I never agreed with that but he was up there. Now 5 years later, we’re at a point where he’s gone 2-7 in his last 9 fights, bounced between Bantamweight and Featherweight to no joy, missed weight in his last 2 fights and just got knocked out by bang average Luke Sanders. Whether it’s the USADA effect or the vicious beatings from Dirty Dillashaw fucking him up, or all the above, I think it’s fair to say that at just 32 years old, Renan Barão is shot to shit. De Andrade probably beats him as well at this stage. I’ve got zero confidence in Barão anymore and De Andrade is a tricky customer at the best of times. 

3-FAD511-B-7-DA9-4-DAC-9894-FADAA6-D8348

Ricardo Ramos vs Luiz Garragorri is ***WAND’S ONE TO WATCH*** and likely the show stealer, IMO. Lots of potential in both men. Ramos is only 24 years old and has a 13-2 record with 9 stoppages. Most notable win so far was his spinning elbow KO over Aiemann Zahabi on the MSG show in 2017. Garragorri is 30 years old from Uruguay. Undefeated at 13-0 with 10 finishes and beat Humberto Bandenay in a cracking fight on the Uruguay show in August. Sounds like a fight well worth checking out.

2-AF79656-1-BDA-406-A-AA75-B394-D0757902

Warlley Alves vs Randy Brown could be decent. Alves at one time looked like a real good prospect. Won TUF Brazil 3 and went 10-0 at the start of his career. To this day he’s still the only man to beat Colby Covington. He submitted King Cringe in just over a minute on the Aldo vs McGregor undercard back in 2015. He’s been patchy since then though. He’s 13-3 now and coming off a KO win over Sérgio Moraes. Brown is 11-3 and stopped the granite tough Bryan Barberena in June. He also handed Mickey Gall his first loss a couple of years ago. Solid fight here. They’re not making any waves currently but they’re both still under 30 and the potential and raw skill is there. I think they could both do well if they can put everything together. 

01745-B1-A-188-E-471-A-86-A7-02139767-D6

Antonio Arroyo vs Alessio Di Chirico might be OK. Not massively fussed. Arroyo is making his UFC debut here. 9-2 with 8 finishes. He was originally supposed to face Trevin Giles but that fell apart and Di Chirico stepped in. Di Chirico is 12-4 with 9 finishes and just lost a decision to Floyd Mayweather protégé Makhmud Muradov on the Copenhagen show a few weeks ago. 

B459-D17-F-28-AB-4178-8-E4-D-C8-E454-B05

Ariane Lipski vs Priscila Cachoeira is nothing special. Haven’t been overly impressed with either so far. I think I’m actually yet to see either win. Lipski was the former KSW champ. She’s 11-5 and coming off losses to Molly McCann and Joanne Calderwood. Still only 25 years old so maybe she can turn it around. Cachoeira has lost 3 in a row and is probably looking at her P45 if she drops another one here. I mostly remember her for getting utterly destroyed by Valentina Shevchenko in Shev’s Flyweight debut. 

And that’s that. UFC Brazil. 

Edited by wandshogun09