Sign in to follow this  
wandshogun09

UFC Copenhagen: Hermansson vs Cannonier - Sep 28 🇩🇰

Who wins and how?   

3 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

On Saturday 28th September, the Octagon makes its first trip to Denmark with this lot;

5-DF0-CD7-A-E50-C-4863-9-F34-1-D145-BA07

ESPN+ MAIN CARD
Jack Hermansson vs Jared Cannonier 

Gunnar Nelson vs Gilbert Burns 

Michal Oleksiejczuk vs Ovince Saint Preux 

John Phillips vs Alen Amedovski 

Khalil Rountree vs Ion Cutelaba

Macy Chiasson vs Lina Länsberg

ESPN+ PRELIMS
Alessio Di Chirico vs Peter Sobotta 

Nicolas Dalby vs Alex Oliveira 

Mark Madsen vs Danilo Belluardo

Siyar Bahadurzada vs Ismail Naurdiev 

Lando Vannata vs Marc Diakiese

Nohelin Hernandez vs Jack Shore

Danny Henry vs Mike Davis 

I really like that. I think the UFC have done a good job with the European cards this year. I really enjoyed the London and Sweden shows earlier this year and this one looks along those same lines. No doubt some sections of the MMA media and twats like Schaub will shit all over it because it’s not rammed with ‘names’ but fuck that. There’s plenty to like here. 

E228975-B-BD17-451-B-97-E6-6419-EFA0-C16

Jack Hermansson vs Jared Cannonier is your 5 round headliner. Might seem underwhelming to some but I think this is a great fight and I’m actually glad to see these two getting a bit of spotlight. Sweden’s Hermansson in particular has been sneaking up on us for a while now. He’s 20-4 and has won his last 4 in a row. He stopped Thales Leites, Gerald Meerschaert and David Branch. All impressive wins. But in April, he got the call to step in on short notice against Jacare Souza. Even with a full camp, that’s one of the toughest fights in the division. Hermansson went in on short notice and beat Jacare over 5 rounds by unanimous decision. And he looked great. He put in one of the best performances of the year so far for me. So he fully deserves this spot. Cannonier is more than worthy of his shot too. Since dropping to 185 he’s looked like a different fighter. He’s got wins over David Branch and Anderson Silva in his last two fights. This should be a good one. The 185 division is stronger than its ever been. So strong that nobody is really talking about these two. But they have a chance to change all that here. The winner of this puts themselves in position for either a title shot or at least a number one contender matchup. 

05-D33410-7-CF5-42-ED-B8-BA-2476-CDD1-D1

Gunnar Nelson vs Thiago Alves is a matchup I really like the sound of. Two fan favourites with very different styles. Gunnar’s grappling is obviously his bread and butter. If he can turn this into a ground battle he should do well. But he can strike when he needs to as well and has that awkward Karate style. Alves is the opposite. He’s primarily a Muay Thai striker who pushes forward with constant pressure and nasty leg kicks. But he’s pretty solid on the ground too and has good takedown defence. It’s a good fight, this. They’ve both kind of seen better days, both coming off a loss, but they’re both still capable of having really entertaining fights with the right dance partner. 

7-DC75-BEE-C792-4-E14-9558-8-EFA9-D9083-

Michal Oleksiejczuk vs Ovince Saint Preux will most likely be decent. Both are finishers. Poland’s Oleksiejczuk is the lesser known of the two, he hasn’t faced the names OSP has. But he’s aggressive and dangerous, only 24 years old and comes into this fight off quick back-to-back knockouts over Gadzhimurad Antigulov and Gian Villante. OSP has stoppage wins over Shogun, Corey Anderson and Yushin Okami. And of course, he also went the distance with Jon Jones. So he’s definitely the more experienced and seasoned man here. But he’s also 36 and coming off a couple of losses. Fuck knows with this one. I reckon it’ll be fun though, given their styles. 

61-A48-C7-C-B6-AF-49-F6-9-E11-9-CAD826-A

John Phillips vs Alen Amedovski is a fight where I’m not that clued up on either guy. But I know Phillips is a banger. I remember someone (Ebb?) posting a highlight reel of his on here a while back and he can definitely fucking whack. He’s 21-9-0-1 with all 21 wins being finishes. 18 by knockout. Badly needs a win here though as he’s gone 0-3 in the UFC and lost an all-Welsh battle against Jack Marshman last time out. Amedovski is 31 and Macedonian. He’s also a finisher with an 8-1 record with all 8 of his wins coming by knockout. Don’t blink in this one! 

179-E429-D-BE91-422-A-B77-A-ECC65-A2632-

Khalil Rountree vs Ion Cutelaba should be all out fireworks. I love this pairing. Neither are world beaters or anything, they’ve both suffered their share of defeats. But they add depth to 205 and both come to knock heads off. The highlight of Rountree’s UFC stint so far was probably his surprise first round KO over Kickboxing legend Gokhan Saki a year or so ago. Unfortunately for Rountree, he got steamrolled by Johnny Walker in his next fight. But he bounced back in style in April with a points win over Eryk Anders where he looked to have improved leaps and bounds in his striking and put on a bit of a Muay Thai showcase. Cutelaba is coming off a submission loss to Glover Teixeira in a cracking fight in April. He’d rattled off some vicious highlight reel knockouts before that though and he’s still only 25 years old. Anything can happen but I’d be a bit surprised if this is anything but a total bombfest ending with one of them laid out. Cutelaba is wild and intense as fuck and Rountree isn’t the type to shy away from that. 

E444246-A-ED8-C-46-CE-8-C17-23239-D69-E4

Macy Chiasson vs Lina Länsberg is just there. Can’t say I’m particularly bothered one way or the other but it’s not a bad matchup. I quite like Länsberg. Don’t rate her as a contender or anything but she won me around with her attitude after Cyborg gave her a kicking. Seems a good lass. She’s 37 now though and she’s had a long old career when you factor in her 48 Muay Thai fights on top of her MMA stuff. She’s 9-4 in MMA now, beat Tonya Evinger on the Sweden show in June but she’s had a real hot and cold run. At 27 years old, Chiasson is the younger and fresher, although much less experienced of the two. She’s 5-0 with 4 finishes and won TUF at some point. I recall her looking good so far, to be fair, I’m just not that into this fight for whatever reason. 

0-BD247-BE-5-FA7-453-C-860-B-81-C88-C80-

Alessio Di Chirico vs Peter Sobotta is another fight I’m not exactly counting the days to but I don’t hate it. Di Chirico is alright actually. Quite enjoyed the little I have seen of him so far and he’s a bit of a weird character too if my memory is serving me correctly. He’s 12-3 overall, ups and downs in the UFC but I like him. His KO over Oluwale Bamgbose sticks in my head for some reason. Sobotta has been in and out of the UFC over the years. His first stay in 2009/10 was unsuccessful, with him going 0-3. But he went away, racked up some wins and returned in 2014. He’s done better this time, going 4-2 with wins over Ben Saunders and Nicolas Dalby in there. He got stopped by Leon Edwards in his last outing though and hasn’t fought in well over a year since. 

432-DAB8-D-CBE9-41-D6-8913-58067-DD40-A6

Nicolas Dalby vs Alex Oliveira is ***WAND’S ONE TO WATCH*** this time. Really looking forward to this. Surprised it hasn’t got higher billing actually. I’d have thought it’d be on the main card at least, especially seeing as Dalby is actually from Copenhagen. Maybe it’ll get bumped up. Regardless, it’s a fantastic fight on paper and the crowd should be red hot for it. This is Dalby’s return to the UFC after a few years away. In his first UFC stint he took Darren Till to a draw in a great fight and beat Elizeu Zaleski Dos Santos. He got released in 2017 and has had a successful run in Cage Warriors since, winning their welterweight title. His last fight was a war and an absolute bloodbath with Ross Houston in June. A fight so bloody it actually got stopped because the canvas was swimming in claret. 

3-CAF7-BE0-C0-CE-4-C49-B957-150864-D3-A0

3-DE87112-7290-4-B8-E-8222-B46-B671-B35-

Unsafe working conditions, eh? It was a fight that got a decent amount of attention online and a fair bit of discussion from MMA media and fans. And with the UFC already having this Denmark card lined up, I guess it was a no-brainer to make a call to Dalby. He’s getting no favours though. Alex ‘Cowboy’ Oliveira is nobody’s soft touch. He’s got wins over Carlos Condit, Will Brooks and Tim Means. And he’s had proper slobberknockers with the likes of Mike Perry and Yancy Medeiros. He’s tough, crafty and scrappy as fuck. He’s also a massive cunt if the recent story of him attacking his ex-wife is true. Don’t know what’s happening with that. 

C22-F2-F36-CAFC-4-AA3-BBDF-55-B6-AE3-E61

Mark Madsen vs Danilo Belluardo has my interest. Never clapped eyes on either of them before but after reading a bit about Madsen, I’m intrigued to see how he does. He’s 34 years old and making his UFC debut here, 8-0 in MMA with 5 finishes so far. He represented Denmark twice at the Olympics in Greco-Roman wrestling and took the silver at the 2016 Games in Rio. Belluardo is Italian, 12-4, lost his debut in June. Not overly fussed about seeing him but Madsen could be worth keeping tabs on. Obviously it’s way early to be talking about him going for titles but adding him to the 155 ranks could get very interesting if he’s successful. Remains to be seen how his overall MMA game looks but in terms of grappling alone, him and Khabib could be something to see down the line. One for the future maybe. But at 34, time is of the essence. 

2-F8-C0536-5-E18-4-EB3-9-A58-2-AF07-B362

Siyar Bahadurzada vs Ismail Naurdiev is a bit of an unknown for me. Don’t really know what to make of Siyar now. He’s 35 years old and coming off a loss to Curtis Millender. He had a few wins before that but also a couple of lengthy spells of inactivity too. He’s a banger though, so he’s always got that. Whenever I think of Bahadurzada, the first image in my head is always his UFC debut years ago where he completely flattened Paulo Thiago seconds into the fight. Naurdiev is only 23, nicknamed ‘The Austrian Wonderboy’ and has a 18-3 record with 16 finishes. He beat veteran Michel Prazeres in his Octagon debut, so he’s got something about him. Lost a decision to Chance Rencountre in his last fight though. Probably be a decent old vs new scrap. Neither seem to like going to the judges.  

7-B082-CE3-B65-E-47-C9-8-A23-DCE9491-ABA

Lando Vannata vs Marc Diakiese...fuck, had no idea this was booked until now. Could be pure Tekken shit. Both are really unorthodox and creative with their striking styles. Which makes them both that bit extra dangerous. Lando’s been proper hit and miss in the UFC, he’s mostly been on a win one-lose one merry-go-round. But he’s insanely fun to watch. He instantly made a fan out of me in his UFC debut, when he took on Tony Ferguson on short notice and almost pulled off the upset knockout. His picture perfect spinning kick KO on John Makdessi was a thing of beauty as well. It doesn’t get talked about as one of the best knockouts ever but it should. He dragged the usually frustrating to watch Bobby Green to easily the best fight of his career as well. Lando is a madman. Diakiese has been slightly less of a human highlight reel but has had his moments himself. Most notably his 30 second KO against Teemu Packalén on one of the UK cards. He snapped a 3 fight losing streak on the London show in March with an impressive points win over Joseph Duffy. Should be a fight and a half, this one. 

F0-BABB16-924-B-4-B1-B-AE3-E-D4-CBE1-E46

Nohelin Hernandez vs Jack Shore could be a good little fight. Hernandez is 25 with a 9-3 record and trains out of AKA. He got submitted by Marlon Vera in his UFC debut in July. It’s Shore’s debut that is the pull here though. He’s Welsh, 24 years old, undefeated at 11-0 with 10 finishes and is/was the Cage Warriors 135lbs champion. Interesting addition to the ever improving bantamweight division. 

Good shit. I like the main a lot and then you’ve got stuff like Gunnar/Alves, Rountree/Cutelaba, Dalby/Oliveira and Vannata/Diakiese...anyone who says this is a weak card is talking bollocks.

Edited by wandshogun09

Thiago Alves is out of the co-main. They’re looking for a replacement for Gunnar. Hopefully he stays on the card. Shame though, I really liked that fight. 

Edit - Gilbert Burns is stepping in against Gunnar. I actually think that’s a better fight than the original. Burns matches up much better on the ground with Gunnar than Alves would’ve plus he still offers that knockout threat on the feet. He deserves an opportunity like this as well. He’s won his last 3 and jumped in on short notice last time and beat the undefeated Alexey Kunchenko who was 20-0 previously. 

Edited by wandshogun09