UFC Shenzhen: Andrade vs Zhang - Aug 31 šŸ‡ØšŸ‡³

wandshogun09

Who wins and how?   

5 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Paid Members

Saturday 31st August,Ā the Octagon returns to China.Ā 

EE48799-B-C583-40-A0-A52-F-77468068-E51-

ESPN+Ā MAIN CARD
Jessica Andrade vs Weili ZhangĀ - StrawweightĀ Title

Elizeu Zaleski Dos Santos vs Li JingliangĀ 

Kai Kara-France vs Mark De La Rosa

Kenan Song vs Derrick Krantz

Yanan Wu vs Mizuki InoueĀ 

Ā 

ESPNĀ PRELIMS
Anthony Hernandez vs Jun Yong Park

Andre Soukhamthath vs Mudaerji Su

Da Un Jung vs Khadis Ibragimov

Thiago Moises vs Damir Ismagulov

Kai Kara-France vs Mark De La Rosa

Batgerel Danaa vs Heili Alateng

Karol Rosa vs Lara ProcopioĀ 

Ā 

Probably not the final bout order there, Iā€™ll edit it as it changes. Decent enough Fight Night, I think. Thereā€™s a few fights Iā€™m interested in there. And being in China, itā€™ll be on nice and early for us which is always a bonus.Ā 

Ā 

0-D1920-FD-D80-E-429-B-97-A4-DE77-E61705

Jessica Andrade vs Weili ZhangĀ tops the bill. I really like this fight. Big fan of Andrade and have been for a while. She was fun to watch back in her bantamweight days but since dropping to strawweight sheā€™s been a fucking bulldozer. Sheā€™s 20-6 overall in her MMA career. And 8-1 since dropping to 115lbs, with the only loss being a decision in 2017 to Joanna Jedrzejczyk, back when Joanna was dominating everyone. Sheā€™s won 4 fights since then and in her last fight she knocked out Rose Namajunas with a brutal slam to become the UFC Strawweight Champion.Ā 

38D6847D-054D-493C-8B34-D37218AE2D47.gif

13-A02647-115-F-4-AE3-BA9-A-3-D884-F506-

Sheā€™s on top of the world right now. The question after that win was naturally whoā€™d be next? Whoā€™d be the first to challenge Andrade? The names that were coming up most were Michelle Waterson and Tatiana Suarez. With an outside possibility of an immediate rematch with Thug Rose. But in June, the UFC threw a curveball in the mix when they announced that Chinese fighter Weili Zhang would be getting the shot.Ā 

7-DB3020-D-187-C-4242-9-F0-E-B82-BE44-A6

It shouldnā€™t really have been a surprise. Zhang is 19-1 with 16 finishes and sheā€™s on a 19 fight winning streak. She hasnā€™t lost since her MMA debut back in 2013 and that was by decision. She signed with the UFC in 2018 and has gone 3-0 since with impressive wins over Tecia Torres and Jessica Aguilar in her last two. Now granted, timing was a big part of whatā€™s landed her this title shot. The fact that the UFC had this China event coming up had to play a big part. Plus Namajunasā€™ status in the sport is up in the air with rumblings that she might even be done with fighting. And Suarez looked far from ready against Nina Ansaroff at UFC 238 in May. All that aside though, Zhang deserves this as much as anyone. I think sheā€™s looked the business so far.Ā 

ā€œNobody wants to fight her (Zhang). Sheā€™s on a 19 fight win streak. She keeps saying ā€˜When do I get to fight again?ā€™ Nobody wants to fight her. We call Jessica Andrade and she says I will absolutely fight her and Iā€™ll fight her in China.ā€ - Dana White

So here we are. Andrade vs Zhang is set. And it should be a hell of a fight.Ā 

05-FBA731-51-AD-480-C-8-E24-6-A80-EBA207

Itā€™s a really interesting fight to me. Andrade is a tank atĀ 115 and sheā€™s overpowered pretty much every girl sheā€™s fought at the weight so far. But Zhang has looked strong as fuck in her fights that Iā€™ve seen. And looking at that face-off picture there, you can see sheā€™s physically the bigger woman. Andrade might not have it all her own way in the strength department and and clinch battles and stuff here. That plus Zhangā€™s got the confidence coming in off that streak plus itā€™s in her home country. This is a hard first defence for Andrade on paper. Youā€™ve got to give her credit for taking this challenge on with a fairly quick turnaround against a fighter on a streak AND in Zhangā€™s backyard. Andrade gives not a fuck. Sheā€™s also been talking about going up and challenging Valentina Shevchenko in a champ vs champ ā€˜superfightā€™ if they both win their fights in August. So thereā€™s that. Zhang is nobody you want to be overlooking though.

Ā 

62-BDB8-C1-8-B72-46-E2-BCE5-99343-B51-C2

Elizeu Zaleski Dos Santos vs Li JingliangĀ is a fight Iā€™m quite looking forward to. Dos Santos has become one of my favourite undercard fighters over the last year or so. And heā€™sĀ gone from that role of curtain jerkerĀ to legit prospect now.Ā Heā€™s 21-5 and on a 7 fight winning streak. In his last 3 fights he won by spinning wheel kick and flying knee, then in his last fight he just ran straight through Curtis Millender (who everyone, including me, was high on) in less than 3 minutes and submitted him with ease. I donā€™t think there are many fighters queuing up to fight this guy after that. Jingliangā€™s stepped up though. Heā€™s 16-5 with 11 finishes and is a decent fighter. I mostly remember him for him blatantly deliberately eye poking the fuck out of Jake Matthews though. Never liked him since. So this is a babyface vs heel match all the way for me. Home ground or not, I canā€™t see it ending well for Jingliang myself.Ā 

Ā 

39130-D3-A-601-C-40-CA-B1-C2-59315-B6588

Yanan Wu vs Mizuki InoueĀ is one Iā€™ll be giving a look. This is Inoueā€™s UFC debut. She was once considered one of the top prospects in womenā€™s MMA but sheā€™s had some losses since and is currently sittingĀ at 13-5. Still only 24 years old though. She also has a 11-2 Kickboxing record and started her MMA career at just 16! Fought a lot in Invicta. Wu is 10-2 with 8 finishes and has fought a couple of times in the UFC. Be cool to see Inoue in the Octagon. Hopefully she can still make some noise. The more depth these divisions get the better, obviously.Ā 

Ā 

AD7-CF1-C3-3-AE2-4346-9-C21-F79-E7247573

Kenan Song vs Derrick Krantz might well steal the show actually. Havenā€™t seen a great deal of either but Krantz really brought it to Vicente Luque on short notice last time out. Heā€™s 23-11 so heā€™s not making waves in the title picture anytime soon but I can tell heā€™s going to be good value on the undercards. Songā€™s obviously the hometown guy. Heā€™s 13-4 in MMA, 2-1 in the UFC. Got stopped by Israel Adesanya in 2015. Heā€™s a finisher in his own right with 12 of his 13 wins coming inside the distance. Thisā€™ll probably be explosive, I reckon.Ā 

Ā 

B5-DEC66-A-B8-FD-410-F-B761-28-D5-F4-F41

Kai Kara-France vs Mark De La RosaĀ might be worth a watch. Kara-France came into the UFC with a little bit of hype. He hasnā€™t blown me away but he has looked pretty good so far. Heā€™s from New Zealand, 19-7 with 12 finishes. Heā€™s 2-0 in the UFC with 2 points wins. De La Rosa is only 24 years old, 11-2 record, 2-2 in the UFC. Mostly know him because his wife Montana was on TUF and fights in the UFC. I mustā€™ve seen him fight before but nothing is springing to mind.Ā 

Ā 

DBC1-CAFD-0-B24-4822-BE67-00502724358-E.

Saparbek Safarov vs Da Un JungĀ is a complete shot in the dark for me. I know sod all about Jung. Looking him up heā€™s Korean, 10-2 with 8 finishes and on a 10 fight streak. His record on Sherdog says he has a KO win over someone called Hulk Hulk. I want to see the cuntā€™s birth certificate. Safarov is a pure brawler, I know that much. Not much in the way of technique and fluid combinations and stuff but heā€™s granite tough and comes to scrap. Could be fun.

Ā 

71110198-35-D4-4-D0-A-907-D-89-DC11-A7-B

Anthony Hernandez vs Jun Yong ParkĀ is another fight where I donā€™t really know either guy. Vaguely recall seeing Hernandez at some point. Heā€™s 7-1, nicknamed ā€˜Fluffyā€™ for some reason. Park is a newcomer. Never seen him before. Heā€™s 9-3, 7 finishes.

Ā 

660-B331-D-208-C-4-DF6-ADA8-CF516-DA5-C1

Thiago Moises vs Damir IsmagulovĀ will most likely be a decent prelim. Moises is 12-3 and fights out of American Top Team. Ismagulov is where my little bit of interest lies here though. Heā€™sĀ fairly unknown but he looks handy. Heā€™s Russian with a 18-2 record, 2-0 in the UFCĀ and riding a 13 fight win streak.Ā 

Ā 

4-A4-DF8-A0-0-CF7-4548-B945-3-D44-B9-FFF

Andre Soukhamthath vs Mudaerji SuĀ Iā€™m not arsed about. Soukhamthath has fought in the UFC a few times. Heā€™s lost just about any time heā€™s been in with anyone any good and heā€™s 2-4 in the Octagon. Su is 9-3 with all his wins AND losses being finishes. All Iā€™ve seen of him was him getting submitted by Louis Smolka in his last fight. Could turn out OK but itā€™s just filler really.Ā 

Ā 

ED18-E8-EC-B428-40-DC-8-CBA-FEBE1-F477-D

KarolĀ Rosa vs LaraĀ Procopio. Yep. Another one where I donā€™t have a clue.Ā Theyā€™re both Brazilian, both making their UFC debut. RosaĀ is 24 years old and 11-3. Procopio is 23 years old and 6-0.Ā 
Ā 

Not an amazing card or anything, thereā€™s more filler than killer, but I quite like this. Really dig the main event and I think Dos Santos/Jingliang and Evloev/Grundy in particular will make this one well worth tuning in for.Ā 

Edited by wandshogun09

• Paid Members

I'll catch very little of this one as I'm on shift next weekend, but I'll probably see the main and Co-Main spoiler free on Sunday morning before work. After that though there's not the level of interest for me to try and avoid spoilers until Monday. The Denmark card looks really good though, but this overseas show is a little weak, probably on the count of getting a rare title fight outside of the US.Ā 

• Paid Members

Yeah it hasnā€™t helped that Mike Grundy dropped out injured. Evloev vs Grundy was one of the better and more interestingĀ fights on the card for me. I still really like the main event and Dos Santos vs Jingliang should be exciting. But there is a big drop off in my interest below those two fights.Ā 

UFC 24 deserves a mention:

Randleman knocked himself unconscious backstage during the show, which led to his scheduled bout with Pedro Rizzo being cancelled. This left the card looking like this:

Tedd WilliamsĀ Ā  Ā def.Ā Ā  Ā Steve JudsonĀ  Ā Ā 
Lance GibsonĀ Ā  Ā def.Ā Ā  Ā Jermaine AndreĀ  Ā Ā 
Dave MenneĀ Ā  Ā def.Ā Ā  Ā Fabiano IhaĀ  Ā Ā 
Bob CookĀ Ā  Ā def.Ā Ā  Ā Tiki GhosnĀ  Ā Ā 
Jens PulverĀ Ā  Ā def.Ā Ā  Ā David VelasquezĀ  Ā Ā 
Scott AdamsĀ Ā  Ā def.Ā Ā  Ā Ian FreemanĀ  Ā  Ā 
Shonie CarterĀ Ā  Ā def.Ā Ā  Ā Brad Gumm

Menne, Pulver, Freeman and Carter wereĀ all respectable fighters, and Bob Cook went on to become a great trainer. However,Ā none of them were household names in 2000, or remotely close to being so.Ā 

There is probably some obscure Fight Night card that was even worse. But UFC 24 was probably the worst pre-Zuffa, at least in terms of name value.Ā 

Ā 

• Paid Members

Disgusting.Ā 

I mentioned 2014 before. Just had a lookĀ and right enough, this kickedĀ that year off;

Fight Night in Singapore - Saffiedine vs LimĀ 

Tarec Saffiedine vs Hyun Gyu Lim

Tatsuya Kawajiri vs Sean SorianoĀ 

Kiichi Kunimoto vs Luiz Dutra Jr

Kyung Ho Kang vs Shunichi Shimizu

Max Holloway vs Will Chope

Katsunori Kikuno vs Quinn Mulhern

Royston Wee vs Dave Galera

Mairbek Taisumov vs Tae Hyun Bang

Dustin Kimura vs Jon Delos ReyesĀ 

Russell Doane vs Leandro Issa

And quickly skimming through the cards that year you had a pretty awful TUF Finale with a Stipe vs Maldonado main event and a bare bones undercard. Costas Philippou headlined a Fight Night. Ali Bagautinov headlined a PPV! You had that fucked up PPV where Barao fell out and we got Dillashaw vs Joe Soto as main event and an undercard so piss weak Bethe Correia vs Shayna Baszler was a featured main card fight. A couple ofĀ Fight NightsĀ topped by Bader vs OSP andĀ Arlovski vs Bigfoot that I recall being pretty terrible, on paper and in practice.Ā 

Thatā€™s just from quickly looking through 2014. Iā€™m sure thereā€™s even worse standalone cardsĀ from other years. 2014 just always jumps out to me as a consistently weak year.Ā That UFC 24 card is going to take some beating though.Ā 

This card isnā€™t much good. Especially with losing the Grundy vs Evloev fight. The card couldnā€™t afford to lose a fight like that. But thereā€™s nothing wrong with Andrade vs Zhang as a Fight Night headliner and Elizeu Zaleski Dos Santos is legit and on the rise. The rest doesnā€™t look good on paper though.Ā 

I see nothing but a ZhangĀ mauling in this fight.Ā 

In the 2 fights Iā€™ve seen her in under the UFC banner sheā€™s been an absolute monster.

So confident infact Iā€™ve just whacked Ā£50 on her becoming the new champ.

Edited by TildeGuy~!

On 8/26/2019 at 7:32 PM, TildeGuy~! said:

I see nothing but a ZhangĀ mauling in this fight.Ā 

In the 2 fights Iā€™ve seen her in under the UFC banner sheā€™s been an absolute monster.

So confident infact Iā€™ve just whacked Ā£50 on her becoming the new champ.

Have some of that.

• Paid Members

The main eventĀ was a hell of a 42 seconds. I was really about 50/50 going in but I wouldnā€™t have called it to go down quite like that. Weili ZhangĀ is a monster, no doubt. I donā€™t think thereā€™s another woman in the division who could welcome on that Andrade bullrush and come out on top. IĀ could see her holding on to that belt for a while. I donā€™t even blame Andrade for being so aggressive because 1) itā€™s worked against pretty much everyone else and 2) she did clip Zhang before getting hurt herself. Zhang just seems to be made of different stuff. She wasnā€™t going to be overwhelmed. Huge moment for Chinese MMA as well with her becoming theirĀ first UFC champ.Ā 

Andrade was class in the post-fight too. Took the loss well, didnā€™t make excuses, gave Zhang her due and even busted out a bit of Chinese!Ā 

Got to admit,Ā Li Jingliang surprised me in the co-main. I really rate Dos Santos and fancied him to win this fight quite comfortably but Jingliang rose to the occasion and put in his career best performance. Dominated theĀ fight and then got the finish with just seconds to go.Ā 

Thought Kara-France vs De La Rosa and Song vs Krantz were good scraps. And that Su Mudaerji looked sharp. Donā€™t recall seeing him before.Ā 

It was mostly a great night for the Chinese all in all.Ā 

• Paid Members

well i was critical of the card going in but thats a home run for the UFC isnt it? Breaking into a new (massive) market and crowning a Champion via a destruction like that? unreal. I decided to skip the show because of the other stuff on this weekend but just saw the fight on twitter, that was some Wanderlei Silva shit.