The Tech Thread

Steve Justice

• Paid Members

Thank you both.

Option 1 or 2 then. I’m not dead against cabling it although it would be a ball ache

The shed already has power so option 2 sounds good. How does it work? There’s another three sheds dotted around that have power so there’s a lot of electric cable on and around the property. Will it put internet through every wire? And would that then effect the quality of the internet in the house? 

• Paid Members
Posted (edited)
55 minutes ago, waters44 said:

How does it work? There’s another three sheds dotted around that have power so there’s a lot of electric cable on and around the property.

It transmits a network signal down electrical cable alongside the electricity.  One end plugs in near your router and a cable goes into that.  Another powerline adapter plugs in at the other end and devices in that location can connect via that. 

However, there are limitations based on how everything is wired up  (from the electrical side).  I'd definitely recommend getting them from somewhere that does easy returns in case you hit a hiccup.

55 minutes ago, waters44 said:

And would that then effect the quality of the internet in the house?

Only in the sense that you'll be adding additional devices to your network so if you're caning massive downloads simultaneously on every device you'll probably notice.

Edited by johnnyboy

An IT related question.

I have an event next week, and I want to have a QR code for people to scan when they arrive that links to the itinerary. 

But I'm struggling to find where to put the itinerary if that makes sense. I can put it on our webpage as a pdf and link the QR code to there, but is that my only hosting option? I was having a play around with MS Forms, and was thinking of just copying and pasting the info in there but am struggling to delete the answer boxes etc, and it's not really fit for what I want (an aside though, I do quite like Forms)

Obviously at the moment it's on my secure one drive which only employees of my organisation can access. 

What a fun question for you all. Thanks.