The Smackers Thread

PowerButchi

2 minutes ago, The King of Old School said:

Cody/Cena at Mania?

I'd prefer to see that than Cena/Gunther (which is what I expect to see), but I'd imagine it's more likely they go with Cody/Randy at the big show. Although there have been rumblings of another match (link to Cultaholic, I won't say what the match is here to avoid spoilers) which is something I don't really want to see at the big show this year. 

4 minutes ago, RedTwoster said:

I'd prefer to see that than Cena/Gunther (which is what I expect to see), but I'd imagine it's more likely they go with Cody/Randy at the big show. Although there have been rumblings of another match (link to Cultaholic, I won't say what the match is here to avoid spoilers) which is something I don't really want to see at the big show this year. 

I was thinking maybe Cody/Randy at Survivors, Cody/Rock at the Rumble, and then Cody/Cena at Mania.

Be very surprised to see that linked match at Mania next year.

3 minutes ago, The King of Old School said:

I was thinking maybe Cody/Randy at Survivors, Cody/Rock at the Rumble, and then Cody/Cena at Mania.

Be very surprised to see that linked match at Mania next year.

I felt that way initially, but I could absolutely see a path in which it happens given how slowly they're moving with other storylines. I could see them going with The OG Bloodline vs. The New Bloodline at Wrestlemania and pacing themselves when it comes to any big singles matches for Roman. 

Whatever the case, I hope they do go with Cody/Cena at least once in Cena's final run as an active wrestler. 

I think we'll get Gunther/Cena, before Cena eventually drops the World title to Bron Breakker and retires. We'll see, though. 

Regarding the linked match (sticking to the spoiler format set though rumours are open discussion for me):

Spoiler

Would have assumed after WrestleMania this year that's always been nailed on. Tell you what, though, in thinking about how it might play out my fear is that it might be a bit Cena/Rock II as an overly self-aware rehash. I'd be shocked if anything they could do tops the initial Final Boss reveal or that mad stuff in the parking lot. Get ready for weeks and weeks of "YEAH? WELL FUCK YOU AND YOUR MOMMA YOU DUMB MOTHERFUCKING SON OF A BITCH! NETFLIX DON'T CARE NONE! NAH-AH!" 

You're not booking Rock for 'Rumble but not 'Mania though right? So Rock/Cody at the 'Rumble and Rock/Reigns at Mania with Cena/Cody on the other night? That's a WrestleMania. 

24 minutes ago, RedTwoster said:

I felt that way initially, but I could absolutely see a path in which it happens given how slowly they're moving with other storylines. I could see them going with The OG Bloodline vs. The New Bloodline at Wrestlemania and pacing themselves when it comes to any big singles matches for Roman. 

Whatever the case, I hope they do go with Cody/Cena at least once in Cena's final run as an active wrestler. 

I think we'll get Gunther/Cena, before Cena eventually drops the World title to Bron Breakker and retires. We'll see, though. 

Possibly, I just can't imagine we don't get Rock/Reigns next year though. Reigns to possibly cost The Rock his title match at The Rumble somehow.

14 minutes ago, The Gaffer said:

Regarding the linked match (sticking to the spoiler format set though rumours are open discussion for me):

Reveal hidden contents

Would have assumed after WrestleMania this year that's always been nailed on. Tell you what, though, in thinking about how it might play out my fear is that it might be a bit Cena/Rock II as an overly self-aware rehash. I'd be shocked if anything they could do tops the initial Final Boss reveal or that mad stuff in the parking lot. Get ready for weeks and weeks of "YEAH? WELL FUCK YOU AND YOUR MOMMA YOU DUMB MOTHERFUCKING SON OF A BITCH! NETFLIX DON'T CARE NONE! NAH-AH!" 

You're not booking Rock for 'Rumble but not 'Mania though right? So Rock/Cody at the 'Rumble and Rock/Reigns at Mania with Cena/Cody on the other night? That's a WrestleMania. 

Yeah the bottom line is definitely what the two main events of Mania should be next year for me.

Throw in Rollins/Punk too, just leaves Gunther as a bit of an odd man out as there is no obvious Mania challenger for him at the minute.

10 minutes ago, The King of Old School said:

Possibly, I just can't imagine we don't get Rock/Reigns next year though. Reigns to possibly cost The Rock his title match at The Rumble somehow.

28 minutes ago, The Gaffer said:

That's certainly my preference, I think it would be a mistake to try and squeeze any more life out of the Bloodline storyline than this. 

11 minutes ago, The King of Old School said:

Throw in Rollins/Punk too, just leaves Gunther as a bit of an odd man out as there is no obvious Mania challenger for him at the minute.

And that's the problem...and why I think there might be some truth in the rumour. Plus, Cena has essentially said he'll be on RAW on Netflix. I think we'll get Cena as the big part-timer on RAW, and Rock as the big part-timer on Smackdown (alongside Reigns). 

The 'mania card still looks good if the rumours are true, but it's strange to consider that they would postpone Rock/Reigns even longer when people are clearly desperate to see it right now. It would be a bad choice. 

6 minutes ago, RedTwoster said:

That's certainly my preference, I think it would be a mistake to try and squeeze any more life out of the Bloodline storyline than this. 

And that's the problem...and why I think there might be some truth in the rumour. Plus, Cena has essentially said he'll be on RAW on Netflix. I think we'll get Cena as the big part-timer on RAW, and Rock as the big part-timer on Smackdown (alongside Reigns). 

The 'mania card still looks good if the rumours are true, but it's strange to consider that they would postpone Rock/Reigns even longer when people are clearly desperate to see it right now. It would be a bad choice. 

Yeah Cena and Rock on separate brands makes sense.

Suppose you could then go with Rock/Reigns, Gunther/Cena, Cody/Randy and Rollins/Punk as the top matches, still looks decent to be fair.

10 minutes ago, Mr Butternut Squash said:

Randy seems like the logical feud to close out the year but I worry that's what makes some fans switch on Cody. They just seem to like and respect Orton too much these days to root against him.

Plus, Orton as a heel - for me at least - is a bit overdone. He's much more enjoyable as a babyface. Unless he has an unexpectedly smart reinvention planned, I'd worry he'll revert to his usual dull heel character. It's been a while since he's played a heel, but even with that in mind, I still feel bored of heel Orton. 

I had no interest in seeing Orton or KO turn on Cody because it just seemed too obvious and I think those guys turning is pretty overdone. I'm another one that isn't sure if the crowd would stick behind Cody if he was against Orton who seems to be having a lot of fun and the crowds are loving him. He'd have to revert back to his cold head-punting self to even stand a chance of turning them against him.

Honestly, the only way I could see this actually working as intended would be for Cody to be the one to turn on Orton, before going on heel run of his own. Cody - through no fault of his own - just hasn't had an interesting enough title run for me to feel confident that fans wouldn't choose Randy over him, much as they did Malaki Black over in AEW. 

Honestly I just wish we were closer to Survivor Series just so we can see if they're going OGs vs New Bloodline or if they'll go with Cody and Roman together. WWE history suggests they love putting guys like that together in a team. Would it be any less believable than having Jey and Sami willing to team with Roman? Probably not. But yeah, that's where my main interest is at the moment.