RIP Albert Finney

Devon Malcolm

• Paid Members

A brilliant actor whose diverse body of work showed why so many directors over the course of 50 years trusted him with pivotal roles. He's one of the greatest this country has ever produced and the above scene is him at his finest. He'll be hugely missed.

• Paid Members

Man he seemed like one of those guys that would live forever, what a terrific actor. RIP

In his final movie he was still knocking it out the park (which happened to be the greatest Bond movie of all time - Skyfall).

The Miller's Crossing scene I'd probably my favourite ever movie scene and I love the line in the next scene about him still being a master with a Thompson. However amongst his many great roles he deserves huge credit for singlehandedly making Big Fish not shit. One of the greats.

• Moderators

Millers Crossing is the Coen's finest, and so much of that is Albert Finney. I'm going to be just agreeing with everyone else like a boring bastard here, but the assassination attempt scene is absolutely perfect.

• Paid Members

I remember us talking about that scene in chat one night, think it might have been when I was doing the film poll from years ago.

I maintain Miller's Crossing is the perfect film. Everything matters in it. Nobody could have played Albert Finney's role better.

• Moderators

In a just world it wouldn't have been released the same time as Goodfellas and Godfather Part III and got the commercial success it deserves as the greatest gangster flick of all time.

To this day I still say "hide your eyes ladies" when I enter a changing room.

I never saw a bad performance from him, and even though I really didn't like Big Fish, I thought he was great in it.

But like the rest of you, I think Miller's Crossing was his finest hour.  Just a fabulous role and fantastic performance in every way.  Tom Jones, too, is a really great film if you've never seen it.

The last thing I can remember him being in was one of the Jason Bournes, and I think he quietly retired about a decade ago.

Archived