The Cristiano Ronaldo 'Situation'

Devon Malcolm

• Paid Members

Thought I'd make a separate thread for this as it's obviously a huge story.

The most predictable aspect of all this is the way that a bunch of football fans have suddenly become anti-rape campaigners overnight because they don't like Ronaldo. You now have about 10,000 pro-Messi Twitter accounts with #IBelieveHer and #Rapenaldo in their bio.

On the other hand, you also have pro-Ronaldo fans claiming that it's a conspiracy against Ronaldo by pro-Messi law enforcement officers. Football fans are unquestionably the worst.

I'm obviously a massive Ronaldo fan but if you're allowing your devotion to his playing career and achievements to in any way cloud the way you view the possibility that a woman has been raped, then you're a fucking turd.

You just know that many Ronaldo haters first thought when this broke was "YES!! Some ammo" and the CR7 posse was "Lying cash grabbing slag".

And it's sickening to have to point this out every fucking time, a not guilty verdict or charges dropped or not brought against someone doesn't automatically equal a false allegation.

6 minutes ago, Keith Houchen said:

I'm clearly talking about rape allegations in general. 

OK, I wasn't sure who you were pointing it out to. Let's hope she wasn't raped, and that justice is done if she was, shall we? Football fans can behave very much like political fanatics when the shit hits the fan, but that's tribalism for you.

• Paid Members

For those that haven't read it, here's the twitter thread about der Spiegel's research.

I'm a massive Ronaldo fan. As a United fan, how can you not be? He was the best player in maybe the club's greatest team. However, aye, picking sides because football is appalling.

1 minute ago, Brewster McCloud said:

OK, I wasn't sure who you were pointing it out to. Let's hope no one was raped, and that justice is done if she was, shall we? Football fans can behave very much like political fanatics when the shit hits the fan, but that's tribalism for you.

Invariably, you always hear the tribal idiots you mentioned hoping that the accuser is done for wasting police time and ruining a man's reputation if they aren't found guilty after an accusation. My comment was more despairing that it goes on.  The classic "Of course he isn't guilty, he plays for my team" mentality.

Part of Ronaldo's statement: "Keen as I may be to clear my name, I refuse to feed the media spectacle created by people seeking to promote themselves at my expense."

Now, is that standard when denying rape accusations, to imply that it's some weird publicity stunt (becasue so many women get a PR boost by being rape victims) from the accuser? Or is that a veiled threat that Ronaldo's defence will be to smear the accuser if the case progesses?

3 minutes ago, Keith Houchen said:

Invariably, you always hear the tribal idiots you mentioned hoping that the accuser is done for wasting police time and ruining a man's reputation if they aren't found guilty after an accusation. My comment was more despairing that it goes on.  The classic "Of course he isn't guilty, he plays for my team" mentality.

I was quite taken aback when one of my Sunderland supporting friends did just that when the Adam Johnson thing was still breaking news - "Ah, she's probably just some drunk lass in a nightclub". He never even considered it might be true. Perish the thought a mackem could do such a thing!

I also don't like the rush to claim he's either innocent or guilty. Its part of the course of things now that people instantly have an opinion on something and then stick to it no matter what. An accusation doesn't mean guilt.

I think Ronaldo's statement is on the money,  as you know if he did say something about the accuser he would be slaughtered for victim blaming (Another stupid thing about modern accusations, defending yourself is seen as such)

If an investigation is launched, then fine. But I see no reason to think anything either way about it until such a time as something is proven.

16 minutes ago, Brewster McCloud said:

Part of Ronaldo's statement: "Keen as I may be to clear my name, I refuse to feed the media spectacle created by people seeking to promote themselves at my expense."

Now, is that standard when denying rape accusations, to imply that it's some weird publicity stunt (becasue so many women get a PR boost by being rape victims) from the accuser? Or is that a veiled threat that Ronaldo's defence will be to smear the accuser if the case progesses?

I don't think its a publicity stunt (both sides). Just more Ronaldo making a statement of sorts to show he isn't ignoring it but also that he won't bite the bait and go into details whilst its a legal case. Nothing more, nothing less.

I think the interesting side of all this is the likes of Nike/EA being concerned, in that if he is innocent until proven guilty they may not want him as the face on their products during the time it goes to trial. (assuming it goes that far). By the same token if this isn't true then he loses out as well if they just sack him off. 

Note: By interesting I mean its quite a big case financially given how marketable he is. 

5 minutes ago, Factotum said:

I think Ronaldo's statement is on the money,  as you know if he did say something about the accuser he would be slaughtered for victim blaming (Another stupid thing about modern accusations, defending yourself is seen as such)

There is a difference between saying something about the accuser and saying something about the accusation. One of these has absolutely fuck all to do with victim blaming. Defending yourself against an allegation isn't victim blaming in the slightest.  If you call into question the actions or motives of the accuser, that is completely different.  It isn't hard to grasp.

Archived