The Cristiano Ronaldo 'Situation'

Devon Malcolm

4 minutes ago, Keith Houchen said:

There is a difference between saying something about the accuser and saying something about the accusation. One of these has absolutely fuck all to do with victim blaming. Defending yourself against an allegation isn't victim blaming in the slightest.  If you call into question the actions or motives of the accuser, that is completely different.  It isn't hard to grasp.

Well, quite. Scummy tactic that it is, at least it can backfire if the accused is found guilty - showing contempt for the victim, which can increase the sentence, as I believe happened to Max Clifford and Stuart Hall. 

But by mentioning people promoting themselves at his expense, he has sown the seeds to what her motivation is. Obviously he just has to walk down the street and people will try and cash in on it if they film it or whatever, but he has lumped her in with that with his cleverly worded statement there.

You'd like to think a good prosecutor could rubbish such a moronic claim, that anyone in their right mind would go through a rape trial just for financial gain, and that a jury would understand that, but the American justice system is wacky to say the least. If Bill Cosby can go to prison, though, maybe it's not entirely fucked. 

• Paid Members

The notion that women make rape allegations for publicity and fame is insane. You only need to look at how women making high profile accusations are treated, harassed and abused to ask yourself why anyone would willingly put themselves through that.

Besides, how many women can you name who became rich and famous through accusing a powerful man of rape, in comparison to how many powerful men were accused of rape, abuse or assault, and continued to work in the same field?

• Paid Members

Juve's statement/Tweet on it last night was shit. They should have either worded it very differently, or not said anything at all.

I'm on my work desktop and Twitter is blocked so I can't embed, but they tweeted the following:

"Ronaldo has shown in recent months his great professionalism and dedication, which is appreciated by everyone at Juventus"

"The events allegedly dating back to almost 10 years ago do not change this opinion, which is shared by anyone who has come into contact with this great champion."

Archived