Bare Knuckle Thread 👊🏻

Egg Shen

• Paid Members

Saw a quote from Thiago Alves saying he was pretty much retired until the offer for this Perry fight came in and said “money talks”. Doesn’t bode well. Never like to hear that kind of talk going into a fight, especially Bare Knuckle. If you’re only hanging around for a paycheque, there’s gotta be easier ways than BK. I hope Alves proves me wrong and chins him. Always liked him and Perry’s a fucking weapon. But I’ve got a bad feeling about it. 

• Paid Members
Posted (edited)

Yeah, gonna be watching this later, but Alves not saying the right things. Perry even called him out on it. It was a weird fight to make, a few years ago the Alves name carried some weight but now it weirdly feels like a step back for Perry despite Alves' credentials.

Alfredo Angulo sneaking in there on the prelims too. I loved Angulo as boxer, a proper blood and guts warrior, he's made for bare knuckle...it's probably come too late, but im interested to see how he does.

Anyway's, I'll report back with a few thoughts once i've watched.

Edited by Egg Shen

I've watched the big main card fight's and felt like they were incredibly unfortunate to have two of the featured fights end in industry's the hunt one was fucking grim and really put it on a downer being the co main Christ he's lucky he only dislocated his elbow and didn't completely snap his arm the way he fell and went down on it.

I suppose the biggest news coming out of it is it's been announced officially that Conor McGregor is now part owner of bkfc which shocked me personally I know he's been at a couple of shows but didn't expect it but having him attached will boost the company and potentially help sign some big names. I mean it's unlikely to hinder them we will have to see j guess 

• Paid Members

I think the reaction to the Conor thing grabbed all the headlines, but as an actual show this was a bit of a disaster. The energy and pacing of the whole thing was great, but the fights just didn't deliver.

I've said it on here many times, but bare knuckle is a whole different kettle of fish and fighters find out real quick if they are cut out for it. Todd Duffee a prime example, he wanted no part of Rothwell, and found a way out as quick as possible. I hate to say it, and I'm not one to shit on fighters but I thought Thiago Alves also found a way out of the Perry fight, to me it looked like he tried to play the ref into stopping the fight without being genuinely hurt. Probably decided that once he felt Perry's pressure he'd sling his hook.

Then you had two other fights stopped through genuine gruesome injuries. It was just one of those nights.

The one bright spot, and one guy who definitely is cut out for bare knuckle was Alfredo Angulo. About as mental a 90 second fight you are gonna see. Not enough was made of Riggs having a hand full of Alfredo's hair, but this was like a brutal streetfight playing out in a ring. Great to see Angulo win, and great to see the reaction to it. What a guy. Absolute animal.

GMVyigOXsAAu7wM.thumb.jpg.9c5b565656bbad91ca8c3e766706f601.jpg

Mate I was talking to my missus yesterday about this. People leave MMA and get offered a good amount to come in and the first time they get caught with a shot you see there eyes tap out and quit. That's exactly what happens it's a complete different Ball game bare knuckle. Look at some of the injuries or end of fight products there faces are fucked up. 

• Paid Members

In fairness, a lot of these guys are coming into Bare Knuckle when their career is already on its last legs. If it was possible put a guy like Thiago Alves into BK when he was at his physical peak and still young and hungry, it might well have been a different situation entirely. Not saying he’d definitely have won but I don’t think he’d have folded as quickly and easily as he did here. Obviously Bare Knuckle is a different game and it’s not for everyone but I think in some of these cases it’s not so much a that they weren’t ever cut out for BK and more a timing thing. Like we said before the show, on this very page, Alves was making all the wrong noises this week and was clearly enticed back purely by the money. Of course they’re all prize fighters and they’re all in it for the money, but to really excel in something as barbaric as this that can’t be your only motivation. I think you almost have to be a bit barmy and actually love it to do well at it. Which is why a knuckle dragging loon like Mike Perry is having the best period of his career right now in BKFC.

I wish Wanderlei Silva was still young and fresh enough to still go. He was bouncing bare knuckles off fools heads in IVC in Brazil when the pay was probably a beer and a hot dog.

IMG_6699.jpeg.6bd2d819dd6f5b658b5d42a2dd8199f3.jpeg

He loved it. 

It’s a shame that he’s past it now there’s finally money to be made in this filth. Wandy of 98/99 vs Perry of today in BK would’ve been bonkers. 

• Paid Members

Oh yeah, most definitely. Some guys are entering this thing way past their physical peaks and that hunger and acceptance to take damage just might not be in them anymore. Some probably know that but fight for the cheque, other probably think they have it but realise once in there that it's gone.

• Paid Members

Guess the same might be said for Clay Guida too - he would've probably been suited to BK back in his prime.