GSP vs Khabib/McGregor winner...

wandshogun09

• Paid Members

Was going to put this in the MMA News thread but sod it. 

A few reputable MMA sources (Brett Okamoto from ESPN and Marc Raimondi from MMAFighting) are saying that GSP is talking about coming back this year and - surprise, surprise - it sounds like he wants the winner of Khabib vs Conor. 

GSP is no dummy. The winner of that fight will see their profile soar so it fits in with GSP's 'MMA iz like the stock market' mentality. GSP vs the winner of that fight, especially if it's McGregor, is mega. Plus, it also gives GSP the chance to make history at the same time, and become the UFC's first ever Triple Crown winner. It ticks every box for GSP. Huge fight, big money AND it adds to his legacy and cements him even further as the GOAT. Nobody does this shit better than Georgey, do they?

image.jpg

This could well just turn into the 'GSP Appreciation Thread', which is fine too. 

• Paid Members

UFC 231 on the 8th of December is in Toronto. If the winner comes away without too much damage, I wonder is that a very quick but possibly workable turnaround? Hmmm🤔.

GSP has a point that the UFC would probably not allow him to fight for the 155lbs belt. They would be fearful that GSP would immediately vacate it after winning it, like he did with the Middleweight belt. I think a catch-weight of 160-165lbs seems more likely. I can imagine Conor and Khabib being up for that. 

I see GSP vs Conor as a 75/25 fight in GSP's favour. I think Conor has the ability to knock GSP's lights out in a striking battle. But the chances are he wouldn't get the chance. GSP is too clever and experienced to be drawn into a striking battle. Conor would only have a very small window to get the job done. 

I see GSP and Khabib as a 50/50 fight. While Khabib is not as bad a striker as some make him out to be, it's likely that GSP would hold an edge over him in the striking department. GSP is one of the best boxers in MMA history. Even if he has lost half a step with age and inactivity, he's still 2 steps ahead of 95% of the UFC roster in that regard. However, when the pair would inevitably tie up, could GSP withstand Khabib's strength and wrestling? Khabib best chance would be to rough GSP up, and despite the weight difference between the two, I wouldn't put that past him. Khabib is one of the most physically dominating forces the sport has ever seen. He's a much more difficult style match-up for GSP than what BJ Penn was in 2009 (the last lightweight champion than GSP faced). 

Regardless, both fights would have my full attention.  

• Paid Members

I'd say we're getting GSP/Conor at the end of it all somewhere, whether he wins or loses. 

Even if he loses to Khabib, I don't see Georges rushing (!) into a fight with Khabib. Khabib has openly spoken about fighting GSP a number of times.

GSP would be better served keeping Conor on his back and earning significantly more money. 

Let's be honest, Conor equals money and I reckon there's only a few fights left in him before that bursts. The guys who are in position to get the fight will all be looking to work their way into something before the bottom falls out. 

I may be the only person alive who thinks that GSP's standup is to such a level where he wouldn't fear McGregor too much. I mean, he's not going to want to stand up with him because GSP isn't the type to take unnecessary chances, but it's not as though his standup is a total joke by any stretch.

I can see him boxing smart, using his jab (which is underrated, by the way) and using his technical striking to get in and out, secure takedowns and eventually wear Conor down to the point where he nabs a submission finish.

Oh, and sucks to be Dustin Poirier, apparently. Poor guy has no fucking chance of getting his much-deserved title shot if GSP asks for it. UFC ownership will be all over that shit, regardless of his plans after winning the title.

• Paid Members

Yeah, Dustin is potentially the big loser here, would be a shame too cause i see him cutting through Diaz quite comfortably.

I also wouldnt bet against GSP having success against McGregor on the feet, GSP is crafty and conventional enough to make it work. GSP is one of the most underrated strikers in the game (well, he was).

• Paid Members

It could work out nicely for Poirier. 

I think he beats Nate and Khabib beats Conor. 

As said, I don't believe GSP jumps straight in with Khabib as I reckon he'll be eyeing up Conor, which would hopefully leave Dustin squaring off against Khabib. 

Fantasy booking yes but it could work out OK for him. 

• Paid Members

I think Silky is right on this one. Poirier and Khabib should be favourites. If Poirier plays it smart then the blueprint for beating Diaz is there. If he thinks he has Nate on the ropes though and attempts to go in for the kill then he's probably playing into Nate's hands, which wouldn't be the smartest idea. 

• Paid Members

I'm not as confident that Poirier comfortably beats Nate Diaz at all. I'd probably favour him but Nate's been counted out before and those seem to be the fights he usually looks good in. The first McGregor fight, the Cerrone fight, even the Jim Miller fight years ago. These were all fights where, at the time going in, most people were expecting him to lose and they were arguably the best performances of his career. Plus it's not like Poirier is going to be wrestling, I'd give Nate a shot against any lightweight that stands with him. Also, by the time Poirier gets in the cage with Nate, he'll have fought 3 wars on the trot inside a year. He's been great to watch but at what cost to him physically? It's a great fight but I thought folks would know not to count Nate out by now.

• Paid Members

I feel like because it's 3 rounds it favours Dustin slightly. If he's smart he can hopefully stay out of a gunfight and pick his shots. Maybe use some leg kicks. It's never an easy task against the granite tough Diaz brothers, but I'd say this is preferable for Dustin than a 5 rounder where you know Diaz will just not go away. The longer it goes on, the more susceptible you are to getting dragged into the type of fight they always want to have. 

For Poirier to win he simply has to avoid being dragged into a war of attrition and not get caught up in the heat of it all, with Diaz chatting shit and doing his thing.

I think he has all the tools required to get the job done, as he's quick, mobile, technical on the feet, and can land leg kicks efficiently.

Basically, it's his fight to win if he follows a sound gameplan and fights smart. If he's an idiot who gets caught and feels the need to "man up" and get into an all-out battle he's going to get knocked out.

• Paid Members

All good points and, like I said, I am slightly favouring Poirier and both of you have touched on the reasons why. But I don't know, Poirier always ends up in wild striking exchanges. He's got a habit of getting into these crazy fights. I mean, given his skills you'd think he'd have been able to make the Gaethje fight easier but he got swept up in the chaos. 

He definitely has the tools to make it fairly easy against Nate, just not convinced he's got the mentality to avoid going to war. 

43 minutes ago, wandshogun09 said:

He definitely has the tools to make it fairly easy against Nate, just not convinced he's got the mentality to avoid going to war. 

That will be the deciding factor. If he goes to war he's going out on wobbly legs before being stopped.

• Paid Members

Thing is, in the striking, as recently as the McG fight, the blueprint was there for everyone to see as to how to beat Nate in striking if you're a smaller guy, i.e. be smart and play a calculated game going for the points win. I'm leaning towards Poirier because he seems like a smarter fighter, but I think you guys are right in that the unpredictable factor is if he can be enticed to mentally crack and go for an all-out gunfight.

If you look at his overall attributes, fight IQ may be the only thing Poirier does significantly better than Diaz. If that weapon is neutralised, I think he's toast.

• Paid Members

The blueprint on striking with Nate was laid out by Dos Anjos a few years ago for me. Lots of movement, get in close or get in and out quick - do NOT stand on the outside striking at range, and absolutely blast the cunt's legs with kicks at every opportunity. RDA did it to perfection. He probably wouldn't ever admit it but I bet McGregor watched the shit out of that fight before his rematch with Nate. 

Everyone forgets about the Josh Thomson fight as well. Without being arsed to check, I'm pretty sure that Thomson to this day is the only man that's stood with Nate and stopped him. Nick even threw in the towel, for fuck's sake. You know a sound thrashing was delivered when Nick Diaz has to throw the towel in. 

So yeah, Nate is definitely beatable on the feet. And I certainly think Dustin is skilled enough and smart enough to fight in a similar way to RDA/Thomson. But, when actually stood in front of Nate, with him taunting and chatting shit while busting your face and body up with volume striking - many a good fighter has got drawn into a 'Diaz fight'. We'll see. Whatever happens though, whoever's gameplan wins out, I can't see anything but an entertaining fight out of those two. 

Archived