The Notorious v Money

ColinBollocks

Truly magnificent from Conor. I'm glued to his every word. I can't think of anyone, in anything, ever, that has had me as fascinated as what he does. He has more charisma in one of his small toe nails than any active fighter.   "Fuck Showtime!" 

That said - I agree with Luke Thomas's tweets. I don't think Floyd is really rattled so far, but he's getting shown up as expected. 

Anyone giving round one to Floyd in LA is talking fucking shit btw. 

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That was a huge improvement! I got goosebumps when Conor smacked the mic off the podium and started pacing the stage spitting fire. Huge contrast to the way Floyd would pace the stage in silence, thinking of his next line. "1...2...3, FUCK THE MAYWEATHERS!" "FUCK SHOWTIME!" And of course, "Why you got a schoolbag on stage? You can't even read!"

Flag vs. bag was great too.

Thank fuck they let Conor be Conor this time. McGregor + a live mic is money, and if there was any doubt, watch this again.

• Paid Members

Somewhat surprised at the almost universal gushing over Conor on here. This is pure pro wrestling, yet his promos are barely creative at all. He's got charisma off the scale, but his act is just dropping F-bombs and acting like a mad bastard. It's entertaining but the way people are going on you'd think we were getting 80s Flair or Dusty promos here. It's not even in the same stratosphere. 

• Paid Members

Yeah, but that charisma makes all the difference. As with so many things, it ain't what you do, it's the way that you do it. If someone like, say, Rory MacDonald or Mighty Mouse were to say exactly the same things, they'd probably be as well-received as a Pepperami in Tel Aviv.

• Paid Members
22 minutes ago, Arch Stanton said:

Somewhat surprised at the almost universal gushing over Conor on here. This is pure pro wrestling, yet his promos are barely creative at all. He's got charisma off the scale, but his act is just dropping F-bombs and acting like a mad bastard. It's entertaining but the way people are going on you'd think we were getting 80s Flair or Dusty promos here. It's not even in the same stratosphere. 

But he's not scripting any of it. This is 100% him. He used to cut promos like that on people years ago on an Irish discussion forum when he had just started fighting.

MCGREGOR.jpg

He's had just as many classic moments as any wrestler has. The red panty night, the burying of Jeremy Stephens that went viral, the interview with him & Nate on the Money Channel, etc. He's far better than Dusty or Flair (to me anyway) because he's real.

• Paid Members

Carbomb nailed it, and that's why he's so much like The Rock. The material almost doesn't matter. The delivery and charisma is so off the charts that everything clicks perfectly. 

I love the beach ball being thrown at Conor from the crowd and him perfectly timing a left punch at it. His ability to do, say and react perfectly to everything, every single time, it's truly something to behold.

He needs to be careful not to break Kayfabe though. You get the impression even Mayweather and his cronies are starting to get a kick out of how fucking brilliant he is. They were all going apeshit when he called out that Showtime goon.

• Paid Members
34 minutes ago, Arch Stanton said:

What Carbomb said, but also, I think you're being a little harsh, he did come up with some crackers. The school bag line was brilliant. His delivery and timing of some of his lines are on a different level too.

• Paid Members

Of course it's apples and oranges, I was just genuinely interested.

I remember a year or two back someone was arguing that Cena was a bigger star than Conor. At this rate, with this type of exposure, and that type of charisma and delivery, Conor's going to end up being the most famous man on the planet. It doesn't even matter what happens in the fight at this point. He's won.

John Kavanagh made a great point on Twitter. He's so good that it took him one single day to learn their game and nail it. Win or learn. It's not just a catchphrase.

I've said it so many times, but I can't stop myself. Just imagine if he wins. After all this, he somehow does it. Fucking hell. My wife will be pregnant again by the end of the night.

• Paid Members
14 minutes ago, Arch Stanton said:

Of course not, but it's comparing apples and oranges isn't it?

Exactly - then so is comparing their promos - different sports, different goals, different times, new media & platforms. And Conor is more successful than either of them ever were. Everyone knows him. 

Archived