UFC Fight Night: Cyborg vs Lansberg - Sep 24

wandshogun09

Who wins and how?   

23 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

People talk about Cyborg's build but I don't think she's carrying that much muscle, is she? She's more ripped than muscular. I think the talk of her carrying loads of unnecessary muscle is a bit of a myth personally. Looking at her in recent fights, I don't think she's got much excess weight on her at all. Maybe 140 is the actual limit for her. Judging by that video, I'd say it is.

We can't really have it both ways, can we? On the one hand we criticised the likes of Renan Barao and Rumble Johnson for making silly and dangerous weight cuts to fight with a size advantage. But then we're saying Cyborg should cut down 5lbs more than the cut in that horrible video? And I used to think Cyborg was playing silly beggars with the weight thing, as part of a negotiation thing of trying to get the Rousey fight at a higher weight. After seeing that video though, she's not that good an actor.

But yeah, I don't buy this thing that she's 90s Lex Luger with a fanny. She's physically imposing and scary looking yeah. But she's not as heavily muscled as people make out. It's weird because I seem to forget that between her fights. Then she steps in the cage and I think 'Cyborg's looking lean'. Then she wrecks some girl and disappears for a couple of months again and I think of her as a female Hulk again. It's like her reputation as this monster makes her grow into some larger than life/last boss in a video game figure in your imagination. When you see her in the cage she's still scary, she's intimidating, ripped, athletic looking, aggressive, what have you. But she's not quite the Godzilla with nail polish we all build her up as in her off season.

Possibly 2of the best things I've ever read:

Lex luger with a fanny

Godzilla with nail polish

I genuinely wish I could buy you a drink for those 2 classics

Nah, I think if she could make the cut she would have. The money she's lost whilst pissing about in Invicta instead of tearing it up in the UFC is pretty substantial, and no fighter is going to turn that down willingly.

For some reason there's this strange belief that she can make the cut if she really wanted to, when we know fine well from seeing guys fighting in the past that there's much more to it than that. 

There's only so much the human body can handle, and we're all different. When I saw her making the cut to 140lbs I immediately knew she'd never made 135lbs. Not a fucking chance.

Nah, I think if she could make the cut she would have. The money she's lost whilst pissing about in Invicta instead of tearing it up in the UFC is pretty substantial, and no fighter is going to turn that down willingly.

For some reason there's this strange belief that she can make the cut if she really wanted to, when we know fine well from seeing guys fighting in the past that there's much more to it than that.

There's only so much the human body can handle, and we're all different. When I saw her making the cut to 140lbs I immediately knew she'd never made 135lbs. Not a fucking chance.

She wouldn't be the first fighter who can't cut weight properly though, even in todays era of seemingly educated fighters we still get fighters who have no clue how to do it safely. She walks around at 180 at least. That's a huge water cut and I agree that she'll never make 135 doing it that way, I'm surprised she made 140. We'll have to agree to disagree on her ever making it though, she'll be fighting at 135 in the ufc within 18 months.

The thing that gets me is that when we see discussions of other fighters dropping weight and moving into other weight classes we are quite happy to accept and recognise that sometimes a cut is just beyond them, that they can't possibly go any lower and so on.

When it comes to Cyborg though, despite her and other experts and members of her camp saying she can't do it, we see fans who think she can do it no bother, as though she's intentionally not making weight because she doesn't want to make more money and appear on UFC PPV's and television.

I'm kinda willing to put my faith in the fighter herself, as well as her team who work with her on a daily basis rather than go on my own views that are drawn from seeing her on film or in pictures. On top of that, I'm no nutritionist or health expert, so I don't think I'm in a position to question their views either.

She gets more stick because she mentions it a lot in interviews, or did at least. Haven't seen much of her in a while.

I'm no expert nutritionist either, I have been around and helped a lot of people cutting weight so do have some experience with it. The fact that she walks in on fight days at 175 - 180 though tells me she's water cutting all that weight so she's never gonna make the weight unless she changes it up.

Anyone is in a position to question her "experts", no one is infallible.

The UFC could put a stop to it pretty easily and just bring in a 145 division. It's no different to her destroying cans at a catchweight and the added bonus of having another title to pad out shows with.

I've said all along on this forum that the idea of having a 145lbs division should be a no-brainer really, especially when you look at the other female weight classes they have. I still stand by the belief that the reason they didn't do that was that they didn't want another female wrecking ball taking away some of the attention from the golden goose Rousey.

In fact, Dana said he wouldn't budge on Cyborg either making 135lbs or not being part of the UFC, only to change his mind once Ronda got smacked about by Holm, which says it all really.

• Paid Members

I've said all along on this forum that the idea of having a 145lbs division should be a no-brainer really, especially when you look at the other female weight classes they have. I still stand by the belief that the reason they didn't do that was that they didn't want another female wrecking ball taking away some of the attention from the golden goose Rousey.

In fact, Dana said he wouldn't budge on Cyborg either making 135lbs or not being part of the UFC, only to change his mind once Ronda got smacked about by Holm, which says it all really.

I think it may have had something to do with it. The reason they went straight to 115 had to be so there were distinctive divisions that fighters wouldn't jump between. If the UFC created 145 id say a good portion of a thin division would move up.

Im not massively into womens MMA but id love to see the UFC use Invicta more. Perhaps have Invicta fights on UFC cards and have UFC women headline Invicta shows etc.

If you had Invicta & Bellator's FW division, it would still suck, Invicta has one female FW with a winning record outside Cyborg and that's Jesyman Duke for god's sake, Cyborg has beat the top girls already.

If they added a FW division, they would add a Flyweight division as well and more girls would move there rather than up.

• Paid Members

I'm with Mole on this. Women's 145 is crap. If you think women's bantamweight and strawweight are thin, women's featherweight is much worse. Cyborg is the only fighter in that division who's worth tuning in for.

That's why I say, if Cyborg can't ever make 135 then don't bring in a 145 division. Just use Cyborg as a special attraction and just have her fights on UFC shows be at 145 and bring in random 145ers for her to smash. The cut to 140 is clearly no picnic so just save those catchweight fights for when there's something worth doing it for like a catchweight vs Holly Holm or Miesha Tate or whoever. Why make her cut to fight these no hopers who are probably going to be one and done anyway?

• Paid Members

Cyborg was just on the MMA Hour. She said she has roughly 24lbs more to cut before her fight on Saturday.

Just for comparison, she had about 15lbs to cut at the same point before her last fight with Leslie Smith... Of which we all saw the result of the weightcut.

This is gonna be horrific.

• Paid Members

It was impossible not to feel sorry for what she has to go through to be a UFC fighter, listening to the MMA Hour. A reason she says she's got so much more to lose this time is because she's had less time to lose it. She's taking birth control pills to speed up her weight loss too.

Totally unhealthy and foolish, really. I hope after this UFC just make a bloody Cyborg weight class until Rousey decides she can be arsed fighting again.

Archived