UFC Fight Night: Cyborg vs Lansberg - Sep 24

wandshogun09

Who wins and how?   

23 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

Surely no-one picked Sonnen over Jones or Bigfoot over Cain? I'd imagine a few of Rousey's fights were 100% landslides in the polls on here as well.

I don't know about this fight tonight. It'll probably go like everyone expects - Cyborg smash - but I don't know. Lansberg was no world beater in kickboxing but she's surely the most experienced striker Cyborg will have faced in MMA, right? And that coupled with Cyborg's horrible weight cut...I think all the ingredients are there for the upset. We don't know much about Lansberg but that doesn't necessarily mean she's shit.

On the flipside, with the way weigh ins are done now, Cyborg will at least have had a little bit more time to rehydrate than she would've had before.

Yeah most likely a first round Cyborg demolition. But there's something telling me to put a little bet on Lansberg just incase.

I know they're friends, but when a fighter clearly can't even joy beating Bigfoot, it probably means it's time for Dana to have a word.

As for the stoppage, it only looks late in the context of us all knowing Bigfoot's already fucking mush brained. He never really flattened out, his eyes were open. I don't think Big John deserved a kick up the 'arris.

The kick was weird too, because Nelson clearly stormed up angrily and then had to force himself to take some heat out of the kick halfway. Clever boy.

Cyborgs gonna Cyborg.

• Paid Members

Weird night. You had a gutted Big Country giving the ref a kicking for not protecting Bigfoot, followed by a lady with one eye thanking Cyborg for turning her into Kuato.

Having Bigfoot go against Big Country in Brazil always felt like some unnecessary cruelty, as it was only ever going to end one way. If Bigfoot continues to fight the referees should probably just use the Big Country rule the moment he falls on his arse. It's sad, but unless they have him go up against CM Punk next, I fear for Bigfoot. That's 6 losses in 8 UFC fights now (3 in a row), all by KO. I hope he's got some money put aside.

The first two fights were enjoyable for different reasons. Pepey v De La Torre was button bashing fun for a while before Pepey won out. Eric Spicely doesn't have a wiki page, but he surely has a thunder dick.

My girl, Cyborg is genuinely incredible to watch. Going forward UFC need to have a word because it does seem a waste her going through all the torture of that weight cut for a fighter nobody knows.

My girl, Cyborg is genuinely incredible to watch. Going forward UFC need to have a word because it does seem a waste her going through all the torture of that weight cut for a fighter nobody knows.

Who can they put Cyborg against now though? She is not going to be dropping to 135lbs and it is unfair for the 135lb fighters to fight her at catchweight where she will have a (obvious) size advantage.

They can sacrifice the likes of Holm, Valentina Shevchenko or Germaine de Randamie to Cyborg, but I cannot see who it would benefit other than Cyborg.

• Paid Members

Exactly. This is why the most sensible solution is to create a Cyborg weight class, in the same way they created a Rousey weight class. At the very least she's not cutting silly weight for "super fights" against no names and with a belt on the line it makes those fights slightly more prestigious. She's a big enough character and spectacular enough fighter to carry it.

It can't be worse, business-wise, than the Flyweight division led by Mighty Mouse. 

Exactly. This is why the most sensible solution is to create a Cyborg weight class, in the same way they created a Rousey weight class. At the very least she's not cutting silly weight for "super fights" against no names and with a belt on the line it makes those fights slightly more prestigious. She's a big enough character and spectacular enough fighter to carry it.

It can't be worse, business-wise, than the Flyweight division led by Mighty Mouse. 

Who are some of the top 145lb fighters in WMMA?

• Paid Members

That's not an issue if Cyborg catches on. It's not like Rousey or JJ were/are fighting names most people know or care about, most of the time. As you mentioned, it's hardly like there are currently lots of decent names looking to jump up to fight her anyway.

But, http://www.tapology.com/rankings/1265-top-women-featherweight-fighters

• Paid Members

Well, that main event was one for the Malbranque Wanque Banque.

Cyborg is a scary woman. Like I said going in, Lansberg is a seasoned Muay Thai striker. It's not like they're feeding Cyborg grapplers who can't strike. She smashed Lansberg. Just beat her from pillar to post. Lansberg's tough as fuck. Not many women see a second round with Cyborg. She's granite. And a bit crazy as well. She genuinely seemed like she loved the experience. You could tell from how relaxed she was in her entrance that she's no rookie fighter. She didn't look fazed one bit. But it didn't make a difference in the end. Cyborg's just too much. Fuck knows what they do next with her though.

I like Lansberg though. I'd like to see her mix it with the Holly Holms and Valentina Shevchenkos down the road.

Thought Barao looked OK. Decent enough. Problem is, against someone of Nover's level you'd expect him to shine. He just looked pretty ordinary though. If you were familiar with Barao pre-Dillashaw, this resembled nothing of that guy really. It's not like Nover's terrible, it's just that I truly believe Barao is leagues above him but he didn't really fight like he was. Maybe it's a confidence thing. He was on such a long win streak before Dillashaw blew it all to bits. Maybe he needs a few of these lower level opponents to build himself back up gradually. He's still got the skills clearly.

Nelson-Bigfoot went about how everyone thought, just a bit longer. Maybe Bigfoot's beard absorbed some of the shots and served as a bit of a cushion. Fuck knows. I was surprised it went past a round, to be honest. Bigfoot is so done though. Even when he's not getting knocked out, he's so gunshy and slow on the offence now. He looks every bit as shot as BJ Penn did against Edgar in 2014 to me. But the difference is, Penn's at least had long breaks between a his batterings. Bigfoot's plodding into haymakers like a Brazilian Herman Munster every 3 months or so. I know he's a grown man but someone really should probably have a word. He seems a nice bloke and he's got kids and stuff. There's got to be a limit to how many times he can get switched off before they stop giving him fights, surely. Last night should've been it. But I'm fully expecting an announcent of Bigfoot vs Francis Ngannou or a returning Shane Carwin in the next few weeks. Someone high up at Zuffa HQ must hate Bigfoot.

Big Country kicking Big John up the arse was uncalled for and it'll be interesting to see what punishment he gets for that. But I get his frustration. The stoppage didn't even seem particularly late but I think everyone in MMA is aware that Bigfoot has taken way too much abuse over the last few years. I know Nelson said him and Bigfoot are friends but I bet his reaction to the stoppage was partly down to Bigfoot being so obviously shot as well.

Had a feeling Paul Felder might come unstuck against Trinaldo. Like I said in the OP, Trinaldo's nobody's cakewalk and he's a tricky customer for a lot of the division, I reckon. A real gatekeeper, and I mean that as a compliment. He's on a 7 fight win streak now though so I think he's warranted a bigger fight or a step up to a bigger card maybe.

What's happened to Thiago Santos? I think I might've jinxed him. He was looking good until I started praising him and calling him a darkhorse. As soon as I started saying that it was like the death knell for him. Losing to Mousasi was something he could bounce back from but when Eric Spicely makes quick work of you, it's not good.

Pepey vs De La Torre was, like Bollocks said, great button mashy entertainment while it lasted. Wasn't pretty but it was wildly exciting. Pepey's been a highlight of the Fight Nights and prelims for a while now.

Didn't think much of the prelims. Thought Prazeres vs Burns was shite. Formiga looked good though and I did really enjoy Erick Silva's fight. It was a typically fun Erick Silva fight and it was good to see him back in the win column. Hopefully he'll be able to build some momentum now.

Thought Cruz was good on commentary but his voice gets annoying after a bit I find. I like that they're switching the commentary teams up a bit though. No reason why they have to always have the same teams all the time and I think it's good to freshen things up now and then.

Nothing show really but it had its moments.

Archived