Review a random WWE Network match

JNLister

Danny Doring & Roadkill & Spike Dudley vs Hot Commodity & Chris Hamrick w/ Elektra - ECW Novemeber To Remember 2000

Cool thread idea, not expecting much out of my random pick however.

This is originally meant to be a tag match between Danny Doring and the ridiculously-over-for-whatever-reason Roadkill versus Hot Commodity, who are the team of EZ Money and Julio DeNiro, but Hamrick attacks Doring and Roadkill and makes it a handicap match. Because ECW, that's why.

The heels work down Doring and 'Kill and out comes Spike Dudley to even the odds, coming out to a hilariously blatant rip off of Highway To Hell dubbed over the original audio. Spike clears house and Hamrick does that bump that he's know for it. Google it, you know the one I mean.

Team Hot Commodity manages to seize back control and pummel Doring with some pretty innovative offense for the time, including that Crash Landing move that we've all created on the WWE games and a few surprisingly impressive springboards from Hamrick. Doring does his best Terry Funk punch-drunk selling impression before hitting the tag to Roadkill. 'Kill moves around pretty well for a big man.

Through underhanded tactics, Hot Commodity are in control again. Holy shit, someone just hit a Bo-Dazzler. Spike Dudley is about to be put away with The Confederate Crunch, but manages to counter his way out of trouble and there's a nice little back-and-forth segment that leaves Roadkill standing alone in the ring. Elektra comes in to try and distract Roadkill, but Doring goes Bareback with her. What a stupid name for a move. Hamrick tries to intervene, but is put away with an Acid Drop to end the match.

This was good, actually. A fun sprint that didn't overstay it's welcome. It's impressive how over Roadkill and Spike were too.

I got the night the Monday Night Wars turned in RAW's favour. But unfortunately not the match where Mankind won the WWF Title. Instead the memorable match between Test and Godfather. Remember it? Nah neither did I.

http://network.wwe.com/video/v35886445/milestone/36935805

Godfather comes out with his hoe's. Before we learn how this match came about. It was due to a beatdown from the Corporation on the Godfather last week ahead of his match with Billy Gunn. Godfather then gets the Worcester, Mass. crowd to tell him "pimpin' ain't easy". They naturally do - as does Jerry Lawler on commentary.

Test then makes his way to the ring. Alone. (a video shows of him having problems with Val Venis last week)

Some hard hitting before a Hogan like slam and leg drop from the WWE Hall of Famer. But only for a two count.

On commentary they're talking about a HBK's promise of a Stone Cold surprise. 

A hoe train is hit by Godfather as Val Venis stands at the top of the entrance ramp, nodding in approval. Big boot from Test. And then the action spills out outside. 

The ref calls for the bell after Test throws Godfather into the ring post. Val and Test have a postmatch scrap.

A wonderful two minute example of the Attitude Era. Mid card stars over as fuck, scantily clad women, DQ finishes, officials from the back splitting up the post-match scrap and a match that went on for less than five minutes. 

If you haven't seen this match, or don't remember it, I wouldn't recommend it. 

• Paid Members

I have to admit I am not a fan of reviews which are actually talk throughs - surely all we need is a synopsis and analysis/opinion? Its like reading a movie review where they tell the reader line by line what the characters say...

If only there was a way for you to ignore the thread?

I actually like the idea of the thread itself.

Dean Malenko & Booker T vs Chris Jericho & Eddie Guerrero

I kinda liked the match. I have to admit that this match typifies the things that I disliked about the attitude era because they had almost NO time to tell a story but the guys in the match were just so good around this time. I would really have appreciated another five minutes to get this boing and a little backstory as to how the match came about. Jericho and Guerrero are full on heel here, pulling out everything from cry-baby antics to the 'group hug' thing. The ending was fast paced with slick sequences between Guerrero and Booker. I can't really say much a out the match because there was little in the way of psychology/story telling because of the shortness though some of Jericho's strikes looked a little loose the same can't be said for the ever solid Guerrero. All in all pretty straight forward monday night stuff from all involved. 

• Paid Members

I was hoping i wasn't going to get a random 98 Nitro match... what did i get??

Curt Hennig vs Lex Luger - Nitro 128 (Feb 98)

I was however hoping for a decent, solid 10 min match when those names popped up. Bear in mind, Scotty had just turned on Rick and Sting had just won the title. 

Lex headed to the ring, grabbed a mic and upon doing so, the nWo music hit for 5-6 seconds before promptly cutting out... I wonder what that means.
Lex was "...demanding something here right now, congrats to Sting, but as usual there was a stinking black cloud..."  
In a nutshell, it was a disgrace that Scott turned on his brother, i mean, how could he do such a thing, an absolute travesty in fact, so there was only one thing for it "Scott, get your ass down here".

10 seconds later the nWo music hits but it wasn't Big Poppa... no it was not, it was obviously Curt Hennig with Rick Rude in tow.

The match started, Lex wins a couple of head locks, Hennig chops him, Luger performs a hip toss, Hennig goes to the outside. Hennig manages to tangle Luger in the ropes.... HERE COMES SCOTTY!
He's donning his new blonde hair and lays the boots in to Lex followed by a suplex, his shades go flying and Hennig decides to put them on and heads to the back. Lex manages a clothesline, forearm, body slam comeback, before BUFF rushes the ring.
Now we have a 2 man beat down, but FUCK ME, the dog faced gremlin runs in, twats BUFF, has an awkward face to face with Scott with very little agro, before the other 6 to 700 members of nWo C-Team run in and give Rick a kicking.
Sting pops down via the wire, nWo all run off in horror... all of them. Sting look about for a bit, realises theres not much going on and then the WCW lads come in for the... errrr, save? They pick Rick up, clap Sting and then all leave.

This whole segment lasted less than 10 mins.

I hope i get a match next time.

Archived