Your most "Against The Grain" thought on wrestling?

Liam O'Rourke

I have always found Cornette and Paul E Dangerously to be annoying but not in an entertaining way but channel switching way. They have a lot to say but 90% goes over audiences heads i reckon. Compared to Slick, The Brain and Jimmy Hart they’re shite.

Heyman now is shite as well.

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Porkchopcash said:

I have always found Cornette and Paul E Dangerously to be annoying but not in an entertaining way but channel switching way. They have a lot to say but 90% goes over audiences heads i reckon. Compared to Slick, The Brain and Jimmy Hart they’re shite.

I'm a fan of Cornette's manager days, especially his 80's work. But I absolutely detest him these days.

Just an obnoxious blow hard.

• Paid Members

Likewise. I know it's mostly a gimmick, but he's doing himself no favours.

I love Cornette as a manager, and enjoy listening to him talk about old school wrestling, and acting as something of a wrestling historian, but the more wrong-headed he gets about modern day wrestling, the more I think it calls into question his take on what came before. Like, when you can be so wrong, or so inconsistent about what's happening now, why should I trust half of what you've got to say about what happened then?

Plus, he always talks about how he never watches WWE, then rants about their booking for an hour.

• Paid Members
13 minutes ago, DraxSpago said:

Digby is quality despite the receding hairline, other than that a credit to this forum, also not a rapist nor a north welshman

Depressingly, that's the nicest thing anyone's said to me all day.

• Paid Members
On 28/01/2018 at 6:26 PM, Porkchopcash said:

Cornette was a great heat magnet back in the day. Nowadays I find him entertaining because he either regales us with anecdotes or just bitches about how things aren't like the old days, which is a massive irony given how "progressive" he claims to be. I just enjoy giggling at a good old angry rant now and again. 

My most against the grain thoughts on wrestling relate to my experience at a Rev Pro show a couple of weeks ago.

* Kickpads look shite. They work if you have the odd person wearing them. If everyone wears them, it looks hokey. Just wear boots and learn how to throw a worked kick

* Everyone throwing forearms looks shite. It's fine if it's the odd one mixed in with other strikes, but learn to throw a worked punch that looks decent first.

* Thigh-slapping on every kick/strike looks shite. It works when it happens once in a match (say a crescent kick) but if everyone in every match does it (to varying levels of success) it looks silly.

* Moves and particularly reversals where both wrestlers are taking equal impact look absurd and confusing when one wrestler pops up looking like they meant it. 

Archived