Your most "Against The Grain" thought on wrestling?

Liam O'Rourke

• Paid Members
6 minutes ago, Roy said:

My most against the grain thoughts on wrestling relate to my experience at a Rev Pro show a couple of weeks ago.

* Kickpads look shite. They work if you have the odd person wearing them. If everyone wears them, it looks hokey. Just wear boots and learn how to throw a worked pick

* Everyone throwing forearms looks shite. It's fine if it's the odd one mixed in with other strikes, but learn to throw a worked punch that looks decent first.

* Thigh-slapping on every kick/strike looks shite. It works when it happens once in a match (say a crescent kick) but if everyone in every match does it (to varying levels of success) it looks silly.

* Moves and particularly reversals where both wrestlers are taking equal impact look absurd and confusing when one wrestler pops up looking like they meant it. 

When it's the guy that's had the moved reversed on him getting up before the one who was reversing the move in the first place. It completely renders the reversal useless.

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I agree with all of those.

It's fatiguing watching a show where it's constant back and forth forearms, spinning back elbows, kicks and knees. Then you have 'near falls' that are predictable in that you know have about 200 more before you get to the finish, by which time everything has been desensitised to.

All of this effort and a style that takes a physical toll when you could learn how to pace a match. The things that happen between moves are as important as the moves themselves. Emphasising the smaller things makes those seem more important. Rather than doing a flurry of 15 kicks, chops and forearms, focus on making a few strikes look impactful and the other person selling it well. It's the difference between someone wanking their guitar off and someone playing with soul and using pauses and anticipation. The difference between someone trying to pound a girl consistently at the same pace with no foreplay vs. someone building anticipation and using different speeds and strokes.

It definitely helps if you have a character that the crowd are invested in too so that you can plan a match around the dynamics of your character vs. theirs rather than hard-hitter vs. hard-hitter.

Also, have your own identifiable style. If you were a silhouette, would people know who you are? How do you walk to the ring? How do you move going from spot to spot? How do you sell? How do you throw a strike? Every forearm/kick etc. looks the same to me.

This is before getting on to dropping each other on your heads.

TL;DR Learn to pace a match and/or work on your character and reap the benefits of lessening the impact on your bodies.

• Paid Members

I remember seeing Penta Cero Miedo last year, and thinking he had better in-ring presence than almost anyone, had the crowd in the palm of his hand, and got a better pop for removing his glove to set up a chop than most people got for their biggest moves all night. The perfect example of how character work is key to everything.

Then five minutes later he hit a Canadian Destroyer on the ring apron.

• Paid Members

Oh don't get me started. Penta v Ricochet nearly made me give up wrestling. And I saw a tag match with Fenix where a combo crucifix bomb and destroyer was good for a 2. Fuck sake lads.

On 30/01/2018 at 2:19 PM, Roy said:

My most against the grain thoughts on wrestling relate to my experience at a Rev Pro show a couple of weeks ago.

* Kickpads look shite. They work if you have the odd person wearing them. If everyone wears them, it looks hokey. Just wear boots and learn how to throw a worked kick

* Everyone throwing forearms looks shite. It's fine if it's the odd one mixed in with other strikes, but learn to throw a worked punch that looks decent first.

* Thigh-slapping on every kick/strike looks shite. It works when it happens once in a match (say a crescent kick) but if everyone in every match does it (to varying levels of success) it looks silly.

* Moves and particularly reversals where both wrestlers are taking equal impact look absurd and confusing when one wrestler pops up looking like they meant it. 

I was quite into RPW a while ago, went to their York Hall and Walthamstow shows from Uprising 2015 to J Cup 2017 (10 shows). I started to grow weary before J Cup to be honest. Whilst they often had good matches I had seen the imports they brought numerous times so that stopped appealing and on to of that none of their own characters really hooked me in. Heavily due to the highlighted reasons you have provided. I must say forearms is something that annoys me a lot. Pete Dunne interested me but they stopped using him (although I think they are using him again now) and many of their wrestlers did the same stuff (as mentioned above). There are good wrestlers other than Dunne on their roster, but some others that really detracted from it.

However I must say the biggest gripe with the shows was that the fans were annoying as fuck, however  I can't blame the company on that.

Archived