Your most "Against The Grain" thought on wrestling?

Liam O'Rourke

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

If you think Cena is great, you're not against the grain - you're just smarter than the average bear.

Mine is probably WrestleMania 9. I fucking love that show. The feel is great, the characters are colourful and the matches and angles i remember fondly even if I shouldn't. Not even that fucker Hogan stealing the title overshadows it.

Oh yeah, Hogan winning the title at WrestleMania IX would be one of these, for me! As a kid, the surprise conclusion of a classic Hogan posedown with the belt and Real American blaring was phenomenal. I love Bret Hart, but still have a fondness in my heart for this ending, even if it's almost universally panned. It's Hogan, with the belt, at Mania, at a point where you thought it might never had happened again. 

• Paid Members

I'm late on this but the highway to hell story in the summer of 98, I can enjoy it but i don't like it, certainly not like some do. It bores me a little to be honest and seems to be a string of stuff that just doesn't draw me in or feel paid off.

It's a lot better than it could have been, as it is good and stuff like that can fall to shit in the wrong hands, but it doesn't hit that spot for me.

Finn Balor. I don't get the hype. I haven't seen him do many good promos, he seems a bit on the small side to be taken seriously and other than his gimmick there isn't anything that really makes me want to tune in and see him. 

Hopefully my mind will be changed though and I haven't seen him since he debuted in NXT only in the last year or so, so maybe I have missed something. 

I'm late on this but the highway to hell story in the summer of 98, I can enjoy it but i don't like it, certainly not like some do. It bores me a little to be honest and seems to be a string of stuff that just doesn't draw me in or feel paid off.

It's a lot better than it could have been, as it is good and stuff like that can fall to shit in the wrong hands, but it doesn't hit that spot for me.

A lot of the Attitude era stuff really doesn't make sense if you look at it overall. But they were only concerned about week to week ratings so as long as you had an attention span that only stretched back as far as last weeks RAW, you were fine.

A lot of the Attitude era stuff really doesn't make sense if you look at it overall. But they were only concerned about week to week ratings so as long as you had an attention span that only stretched back as far as last weeks RAW, you were fine.

You're correct in a general sense but that doesn't apply for the Highway to Hell, they'd sown the seeds for that angle back in May and teased the Undertaker's title desire and his parternship with Kane all the way through the summer in a very logical sense leading up to the Summerslam card. It was only really towards September/October that the Kane and Undertaker storyline got muddled and inconsistent.

Finn Balor. I don't get the hype. I haven't seen him do many good promos, he seems a bit on the small side to be taken seriously and other than his gimmick there isn't anything that really makes me want to tune in and see him. 

Hopefully my mind will be changed though and I haven't seen him since he debuted in NXT only in the last year or so, so maybe I have missed something. 

I doubt that this'll be against the grain the more he's shown to be a vanilla midget on RAW.

For me he's the weakest main guy NXT has had too, even if he is pretty solid in the ring he just hasn't got a personality outside of playing dress up as a cyber goff and the greatest thing he ever did in Japan was leave and have his spot taken by AJ who was magnificent from the off.

• Awards Moderator

To defend myself against Karl's Stone Cold tirade: yes, he was doing similarly twattish things like beating up women when he was a heel, but the key difference is he wasn't supposed to be getting cheers for doing it. Acting a bully when you're meant to be one is one thing, being cheered for it is another. I liked him as a heel because those Stone Cold-y things he was doing worked better when you were supposed to dislike him for doing them!

Chase gets it.

Anyway, fun show this week, some good laughs throughout! Liked the obscure Simpsons "Pog form" reference at the start, and the fact that not one of you liked the Ospreay-Ricochet match. Looking forward to Part 2!

Thanks very much for the kind words so far!

I want to thank everybody for the contributions, we got to read many of them on the show, which is now available at the following link:

http://squaredcirclegazette.podbean.com/mf/web/sk26vj/SCG_Radio_93_-_Going_Against_The_Grain_Part_1.mp3

Join us as we discuss your "Against The Grain" opinions on all things pro wrestling! We talk about a wide variety of topics this week - is Ric Flair a routine man with an elevated reputation? Is Shawn Michaels merely "solid"? We cover a wide number of your views on Lucha Underground and intergender wrestling, Steve Austin's heel run, Rob Van Dam, Bob Backlund, William Regal, Umaga, Tyson Vs. Austin, criticisms of Finn Balor and Sasha Banks, a debate on modern in-ring styles and a litany of other issues. With a ton more on the way next week in Part 2, this one was a great deal of fun, check it out!

• Paid Members

Had to agree with some of the contributions on Shawn Michaels. I loved the Rockers and the angle where Shawn turned on Marty was all sorts of brilliant but I can then count on one hand the number of times I thought he was good until 1997. His Wrestlemania 8 & 9 openers where decent, match on Raw with Marty was ace and the WM 10 ladder match was incredible but nothing else about his character or promo work was at all special. I was surprised when he won the IC Title originally, baffled that he was in the Survivor Series 1992 World Title match and still surprised in 1995 that they thought he was a Rumble winner and WM main event calibre act. I was a little bit more on board by 1996 but he was so dull as a face and his title reign so dire that I was a Sid guy like that NY crowd.

When he came back in 2002 and found his stride I think he became genuinely brilliant. Though even then he had his fair share of shit stories with that God feud, JBL's luckiest and DX. Agree with Butchi about the horrendous "I'm sorry, I love you" finish too. Totally cringe.

This could be a whole other entry for this but I've never liked the Angle/HBK WM match. Great build but the match itself is a "let's have a great match" spot fest that lacks any semblance of drama because they're concentrating on getting their shit in and not on telling a story. It never clicked at all. In fairness, that's Angle's MO so I absolve HBK somewhat.

Archived