What Culture Pro Wrestling LIVE (Newcastle) - 27th & 28th July

Personally I didn't mind them at first but I can certainly see why it's bothering promoters.  Benno is right, this is a money mark promotion.  This causes problems, primarily with inflating wages meaning other companies might feel the squeeze.  You also have to wonder whether without the work done by the PBW's, ICW's, PCW's and more if WCPW would even be a thing.  Would they have run these shows if other companies hadn't built solid foundations?  I doubt it, and that's what has changed my opinion.  I think they're building their own brand on the hard work of others while being a detriment to the people who put in the graft.

• Replies 398
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

It bothers promoters because they're insular. BritWres is full of insecurity and jealousy. They're only concerned with their own ends. On the flip side, it's a great time to be a worker. Between What marks, ITV and WWE there are some good opportunities and decent paydays to be had. If that's driving up the talent prices then good. They're the ones who risk their neck night in and night out.

From a promoters POV, they've got two choices. They either adapt, pay more and recoup by adjusting their cost base or increasing revenue. Or they wait and see if they burn themselves out or just get bored. Lots of promotions and promoters come and go. Especially ones who spend more than they earn.

I'd not be worrying about what they're up to. I'd keep doing what's made me successful (and if I'm not successful then this is the least of my worries) and I'd have an eye on developing my own talent so if the top end of the market gets out of my reach, I've ready made replacements coming through. If any of these three big gigs take off, I'm going to need to do that anyway.

• Paid Members

It bothers promoters because they're insular. BritWres is full of insecurity and jealousy. They're only concerned with their own ends. On the flip side, it's a great time to be a worker. Between What marks, ITV and WWE there are some good opportunities and decent paydays to be had. If that's driving up the talent prices then good. They're the ones who risk their neck night in and night out.

From a promoters POV, they've got two choices. They either adapt, pay more and recoup by adjusting their cost base or increasing revenue. Or they wait and see if they burn themselves out or just get bored. Lots of promotions and promoters come and go. Especially ones who spend more than they earn.

I'd not be worrying about what they're up to. I'd keep doing what's made me successful (and if I'm not successful then this is the least of my worries) and I'd have an eye on developing my own talent so if the top end of the market gets out of my reach, I've ready made replacements coming through. If any of these three big gigs take off, I'm going to need to do that anyway.

That ^^^ is a smashing post Rick.

Higher wages means higher ticket prices.  That could mean a lot of families who are the core customers of the family promotions aren't able to attend as often.  I'd argue those companies actually have more to worry about than the ones who have a more adult customer base.

• Paid Members

Higher wages means higher ticket prices.  That could mean a lot of families who are the core customers of the family promotions aren't able to attend as often.  I'd argue those companies actually have more to worry about than the ones who have a more adult customer base.

No, it means higher cost base. Upping ticket prices is only one solution and as you say, it's not the best one. It might mean using one less worker on a show, swapping a "name" for a developing talent, working harder on promotion, producing better or more varied merch, putting the price of merch or refreshments up slightly, running a meat raffle. Reducing costs in other areas is definitely the most sensible approach though.

If you've treated people well, you'll also find they'll come down closer to your price because of it and will collect the higher price from the other promotions. It's not a simple doomsday scenario.

All good ideas Rick and I know of at least one company who will do pretty much was you've suggested.  However, you can't then blame them for resenting WCPW who are, in my view, piggy backing on to a thriving scene built by these other guys.  I don't think it's anything near a doomsday scenario either because this will burn out.  There's only so many 'dream' matches you can put on and the WCPW model has been proven in the past to have a limited shelf life.

WCPW are quite fascinating but sometimes in business it is not uncommon for something that rises so quickly to fall as quickly. They are clearly bankrolled at the moment but at some point the investors will look for a return, Do I see a UK promotion being sustainable to make the kind of money their cards are costing, No, even more so No due to the WWE starting to see how they can make more out of the UK market on a regular basis.

I also find the WCPW guys marks for themselves, if they are playing with other peoples money then their choices may not be sound. Adam Pacitti has already paid money to get himself in the press and on TV, I feel he is more interested in promoting himself than WCPW.

• Paid Members

I initially had some similar thoughts to you Mungo, but changed my mind quite quickly. To add to Rick's points, If local promotions can't afford to run, and I'm talking about the north east, It might make some of the shit promotions close shop, which is fine with me. There doesn't really need to be anymore than a couple if promotions in any city. Especially when the majority of the local lads are wrestling for each different promotion.

Over saturation of shite has bollocksed the market up for years.

100% down to grunt plops calling themselves promoters.

That's the thing. Anyone can hire a ring and book wrestlers. Next time WWE do their not London tapings. Would help to focus more down South for a couple of years. Worth having a look at the List of Active Promotions Thread and list the ones based or are running shows in the North East.

A list of North East based promotions (there's a few lol) from those that attend show what's the shit and what's good if it were to be whittled down to two or three who should stay?

I haven't included WCPW or ICW who run twice a year ...

Absolute Wrestling

UCW

Rad Pro

Shield Pro Wrestling

Main Event Wrestling

Full Tilt Wrestling

EWE wrestling

EPW wrestling (who run the area regularly)

First Class Wrestling

North

Im sure there is probably more

• Paid Members

A list of North East based promotions (there's a few lol) from those that attend show what's the shit and what's good if it were to be whittled down to two or three who should stay?

I haven't included WCPW or ICW who run twice a year ...

Absolute Wrestling

UCW

Rad Pro

Shield Pro Wrestling

Main Event Wrestling

Full Tilt Wrestling

EWE wrestling

EPW wrestling (who run the area regularly)

First Class Wrestling

North

Im sure there is probably more

You've also got 3CW who have just started up again (though they are more Teesside & North Yorkshire than Tyne & Wear) and, until recently, TIDAL, who were running every couple of months in Darlington and a couple of times a year in Newcastle (they've since pulled out of both).

WCPW are quite fascinating but sometimes in business it is not uncommon for something that rises so quickly to fall as quickly. They are clearly bankrolled at the moment but at some point the investors will look for a return, Do I see a UK promotion being sustainable to make the kind of money their cards are costing, No, even more so No due to the WWE starting to see how they can make more out of the UK market on a regular basis.

I also find the WCPW guys marks for themselves, if they are playing with other peoples money then their choices may not be sound. Adam Pacitti has already paid money to get himself in the press and on TV, I feel he is more interested in promoting himself than WCPW.

That Pacitti was on TV for this strange self-promotey thing prior to his WhatCulture job

pacciti.jpg

Archived