Help me fix my broken cat.

SpursRiot2012

• Paid Members

So I got four cats. One of them is less than five months old and the others are just over a year. One of them is a real problem. As much as we love the guy, this is getting to the point where we are going to have to get rid of him. He keeps pissing on my fucking furniture. He has literally caused about a grands worth of damage because no matter how hard you try you ain't never getting cat piss smell out of anything.

I think it's related to the fact that we were given him waaaay too young. He was about five weeks old! We took him to the vet and he said that it could be that he's stressed, maybe not getting on with the others etc. He never shits outside the box. I would prefer that. Not a single other cat has ever gone outside a designated toilet.

As I say, it's coming to a head now. Either we find some way of stopping him from doing this or he has to go. To be clear, it's urination, not spraying.

Advice such as kill the cat will not be entertained. Thanks.

It could be something simple in terms of the cat not being properly litter trained. Usually when you take a kitten away from the mother too young it can do things like this. However it may also be stressed like the vet said or scared by the other cats. However does the cat interact with the others?. Cats usually are super clean pets, they spend ages grooming themselves etc so does your cat have any issues there too?. If not, you can pin point it down easier. Another thing is this constant or does it happen only on occasion say when your not at home. If that's the case it could be that the cat has abandonment issues from being taken from the mother too early. These web pages might help too

http://www.leapsnhounds.com/2010/06/27/why-is-my-cat-peeing-everywhere/

http://www.animalplanet.com/pets/how-to-stop-your-cat-from-peeing-in-the-house/

Also forgot to mention is it a male or female cat? I remember my Nan telling me my aunt's cat which was a rescue cat kept peeing when they took him home but that was because he was nervous. So it could be just something simple like that. I'd also watch the cats behaviour with the others is it timid, aggressive like to keep itself to itself. It also might have an underlying health issue causing it to pee ouside the litter tray. If it's older they can become senile and their motor functions lessen so if it's an older cat it's likely its old age. I'd also check out Jackson Galaxy since he deals with a ton of cat issues.

edit: Kittens should usually ideally stay with the mother cat for 8 weeks, as this gives them time to learn how to use the litter tray etc. If the kittens taken away earlier this is what causes behavioural issues etc.

• Paid Members

Have you tried using a Feliway diffuser?

If it's a stress issue it may help you.

Years ago my cat used to enjoy pissing on my bed. That was not fun. Worst thing you can do it shout at it and throw it into its Litter tray. Pretty certain we had her at around 5 weeks too.

• Paid Members

My cat was doing this for a while too. I got him from Battersea and was told his original family had given him up because he was "soiling" around the house. But the family had recently got a dog and the people at Battersea said it'd probably stressed the poor cat out.

Anyway, he was fine when I got him but back about a year ago he started peeing places around the flat - on the bed, on the rug, I just caught him before he peed on the settee... Well, turns out, he had cystitis. I didn't know cats could get cystitis! I've had to increase his intake of wet food so he's getting more water and have to try not to stress him out.

Maybe your cat has cystitis?

• Moderators

They are smelly shitty things, who rub themselves against you like a cheap lapdancer trying to sell her wares, before leaving you with a massively swollen face, closed eyes, and a chest infection for days due to their shitty smelly hair.

Not really a cats fault that your body is defective though, is it? Reminds me of one of my mates who had to be kept inside during break when the school grass had been cut. He still gets mocked about it to this day, though at least he doesn't get grass cuttings thrown in his face anymore.

Archived