WHAT PLAY YOU!? Version 2.0

TildeGuy~!

Well thanks for your input. In the end my friend bought it for me anyway, he has been on the fence about it as well, like me, but at that price he just said fuck it. Can't say no to free, I'll find out how bad it is soon enough. As for AVP 2010, yeah that was a let down for me, who would have thought they could put something out worse after that. I still play AVP 2000 and AVP2, great games, even at 10 years old they're still better than recent efforts.

Edited by The Total Package

Well thanks for your input. In the end my friend bought it for me anyway, he has been on the fence about it as well, like me, but at that price he just said fuck it. Can't say no to free, I'll find out how bad it is soon enough. As for AVP 2010, yeah that was a let down for me, who would have thought they could put something out worse after that. I still play AVP 2000 and AVP2, great games, even at 10 years old they're still better than recent efforts.

What struck me most about Aliens CM and AVP 2010 is that there is just no tension when playing. AvP2 scared the shit out of me when I was younger, and I have no doubt it would still do it to me now. The newer games just go for plain old jump scares in bland environments, and the thing is, you always feel like your better then the enemy. There's no drama involved, no feeling that you have to fight to overcome the odds, just 'pew pew pew pew'. But I hope you get some sort of enjoyment out of it. As your a fan of the films, you'll probably like it a tad more then I did!

Edited by pain-giver

• Paid Members

I'm a few hours in to Splinter Cell: Blacklist. Really enjoying it so far, a massive return to form after the shite that was Conviction. Love the freedom in the levels, and actually feeling like a super-duper-spy again*.

* Apart from the time I accidentally threw a dead guard-dog at a terrorist! Rookie mistake.

Edited by CleetusVanDamme

Been trying to play Tekken Tag Tournament 2 (PS3 digital version) but the frame rate has been dropping so bad it's pretty much unplayable and is like watching a slow motion replay.

Anyone know what the problem is? I've found little information on the problem online and what little I have come across (turn off motion blur for example) has been no real help at all.

• Paid Members
Been trying to play Tekken Tag Tournament 2 (PS3 digital version) but the frame rate has been dropping so bad it's pretty much unplayable and is like watching a slow motion replay.

Anyone know what the problem is? I've found little information on the problem online and what little I have come across (turn off motion blur for example) has been no real help at all.

I've played the Wii U and 360 Versions and neither had any issues like that, so the issue most likely is with the PS3 version (or the digital version).

Edited by TripleA

Anyone played PES 2014 yet then? Any good?

I've had a fair few games on the FIFA 14 demo. It's a bit too short to get a real impression, but I must admit that all the emphasis on ball physics being improved and the shooting being improved seem a bit..... non existent. In terms of shooting it feels almost the same as 13, possibly a slightly weightier feel to the ball but that's about it. The slower pace to the game feels great however I have read that due to overwhelming negative feedback it's going to be ramped right back up again. I think the slower pace helps provide a more technical, tactical game which leads to my final observation. The passing. It's a 100 times better than previous years and EA would be daft to tamper with it. I'm probably going to give it a miss though, as I'll get it on PS4. Hopefully ball physics and improved shooting are more noticeable on there.

I had a bash on both games tonight.

I echo your thoughts on Fifa feeling very much like 13. I didn't find the pace of the game that different but Jesus Christ the players are very heavy to move. I found the passing to be very hit an miss too. There were far too many misplaced passes for my liking though. The interface has improved and I like the changes to the pause screen. That's really the only positive I can come up with at the moment.

PES feels a lot lighter and passing seems better. The physics have improved and you find yourself fighting for loose balls at times. Shooting still seems a bit floaty and I'm having trouble controlling the pace of the player when in possession. I tend to play quite a direct game, but PES does not allow you to play that way. I found I was hounded off the ball a fair bit. I've opted for Fifa over PES for the last couple of years so it may just take some getting used to.

Overall, neither game has wowed me. Some tweaking may help for both titles. It is close between them this year based on the demos, but most will opt for Fifa due to familiarity, licencing etc.

Played both again tonight. PES has improved, but Fifa is just edging it for me. Movement is better than I was experiencing last night (I may have been tired, or it could be to do with I was playing as Dortmund where as tonight I played as Barcelona), and passing seemed better. Two big differences for me are the shooting, which seems a bit harder and AI defending is tighter, making you work for your goal. I guess the only negative is that overall it is very much Fifa 13 with a bit of tweaking and a change to the interface.

I think both games should start thinking about bringing out a new title every other year so the changes feel more vast. They could offer a patch for squad and kit updates in between years for a small fee. I'd be quite happy with that.

• Paid Members

Does anyone capture/record their gaming? I'm using Camtasia and it's ok but the screen capture quality isn't that great. Webcam capture is perfect, I've fiddled with all the settings and the screen recording is still coming up very laggy.

Edited by Kookoocachu