The Peep Show was awesome/quotes thread.

WWFChilli

• Paid Members

MV5BOTBjNjUxYTQtM2RkZS00NzIyLWE3M2YtNTQ5MV5BYTNjZTQyMjAtYTdhNS00MmZlLTk4NWItOTY3MV5BYzUzZDk1NDQtZjVmYS00MDBlLWJlZTQtM2U5MV5BYzkzZjBhN2QtNGQxNC00MzJhLWE3ODEtN2U4MV5BZjA0M2Q0NDMtODY4Mi00ZDQzLTg3YWEtZjRl

MV5BNWQzNzg4YmQtNmMxMS00NmI5LThlMDYtODhhMV5BZWNlMDc0NjQtYjRhZi00MjFlLTk5YzYtOGFhMV5BYTY0Y2FmMDMtZGMwYi00NTBmLTg0NjktOTExMV5BOTQwZjg2ZDktMDc5My00ODdlLTg2OGMtMDVlMV5BYWE1MDAwNDctZTBjOC00NDBiLWE0MmUtNjI4

EDIT: Wrote a massive post about Peep Show but my internet connection deleted it. 90 minutes down the shit. THIS IS BULLSHIT!

Anyway, it was discussed briefly in the TV thread but Peep Show recently ended it's run after 12 years, 9 series and 54 episodes. I was talking to Chokeout about it offline the other day and he said it was probably the best UK sitcom of the last 20 years. It's probably my favorite sitcom ever, and it came at a perfect time for me (16 when Series 1 dropped) so I got to grow up with the show. Here's a thread to just throw in you're best quotes, series, characters, what you did/didn't like and why, when really should the show have ended etc.

Also what is the Peep Show code? For me...

4-2-3-6-1-5-7-9-8

• Paid Members

I'm absolutely shit at remembering particular scenes and quotes from any show aired after about 1994. Some weird form of Alzheimers I reckon! I love Peep show though. I never watched it originally as didn't think it would be my thing but I downloaded the entire thing last year and worked my way through. The dedication to shooting it the way they did is just incredible. And they didn't rely on that, because there are a ton of great lines and some terrific peripheral characters. Should be a good thread.

• Paid Members

The most magical of everything Peep Show, for me, was Alan Johnson ("I'm in love!")

"My Charles and Camilla. Iron fist inside my velvet glove. The spiky balls on the end of my stick."

".... and of course our ambition should be to KILL clients. Not... actually kill them. Kill them with our levels of service. Until they're dead."

And others.

• Paid Members

Absolutely Raid, Peep Show had a wonderful knack for creating fantastic second tier characters, the roll call is super duper.

Johnson, Super Hans, Dobby, Sophie, Jeff, Nancy, Big Suze, Gerrard all made multi-series appearances. Elena the Russian emerge from Series 6 was also a great addition that should have make more than one series. 

EDIT: Fucking hell Otto, that quote is sublime. 'Watching a chicken fucking a horse' always wrecked me for how off the wall it was.

Echoing the Johnson love, although raid you disappoint me greatly by omitting the best of his quotes!:

"Just wanted to drop by and say "Have fun." Tonight should be a free-fire idea zone. Watch a DVD, eat some pizza, fuck each other. I'm serious. Fuck a chicken if that's what it takes. Watch a chicken fucking a horse. What? You think the guys who invented Google sat around watching Trumpton?" 

• Paid Members

I'd nominate "University Challenge" (Series 2, episode 4) for best episode. It's up there with "To Kill A Mocking Alan" from I'm Alan Partridge and the first episode of the UK The Office as episodes I've watched so many times that it's still enjoyable even though I'm no longer laughing because I'm anticipating every line.

Script: http://www.springfieldspringfield.co.uk/view_episode_scripts.php?tv-show=peep-show-2003&episode=s02e04

Knows about cubits, not comfortable in her own skin.
She's one of me!

I won't be Bez.

I wanna be in there on merit.
You won't make it on merit.

'Good old Columbo.

Just the one technique, but shits on Quincy.

I wish I'd done Ancient History

I thought you did.

I did Business Studies, Jeremy, for three years.

This is my moment of madness, my Clapham Common.

'Is that how easy it is to steal some education? 'Bloody hell! Who's in charge? 'The world's just people going into rooms and saying things? It's all a swizzle? 

'I'm doing it, Dad.

I'm studying Ancient History and there's not a thing you can do! '

But aren't you gonna max out on your loan? Fuck it.

Get another one.
You can always defer.

Right now, April's probably getting chatted up by some student who's realised she's got the magical combo of beauty and low self-esteem.

'To enter the elite, I must shit on my heroes.

Plays, wine, Lesbos I've arrived! Just don't mention Bravo Two Zero.

I was here in the glory years - mid-'90s.

Britpop was kicking off.
Four Weddings had just come out.
It was mental.
Four Weddings? It's a film, Alasdair.
Very popular at the time.
About weddings.
You have seen Four Weddings.
You make out you're this oh-so-clever professor who hasn't got time to watch Four Weddings or Ghostbusters like the rest of us? I'm not buying it.
I spend my free time reading, rather than watching Ghostbusters! What is the problem with Ghostbusters? "Oh, look how many books I've got.
I must be clever.

He lives with me and he eats ready meals and we play Guess the Revels and watch Men In Black on our massive telly and have a fucking good time.

'At least I never had to watch her recoil at my scrotal scar.

'This is OK.

It's just a moment that'll haunt me forever.

• Paid Members

The first and second series were a thing of magic, it worked fantastically and was amazing.

I dropped out mid way through the run as it felt a bit stretched and strained and need to pick back up after watching the last series but there's not much as funny and it did it with an insightful and meaningful approach.

It's not a one foot in the grave beater, a perfect show for me, but it's up there.

A school friend who I only see a few times a year and I recite this one verbatim whenever we meet up, I had belly ache from laughing the first time I heard it:

[Mark is kicking Sophie's friends out of his flat after they've stayed up all night getting high]

Mark Corrigan: And listen, while we're at it, there are systems for a reason in this world, economic stability, interest rates, growth. It's not all a conspiracy to keep you in little boxes, alright? It's only the miracle of consumer capitalism that means you're not lying in your own shit, dying at 43 with rotten teeth and a little pill with a chicken on it is not going to change that. Now come on, fuck off.

I didn't start watching until it was a couple of series in but it's a serious contender for my favourite sitcom ever. Binge watched the entire thing on 4OD a couple of times. I did feel an attachment to the show and had that empty feeling  you get when you've just read a great novel.

The show evolved and was so different by the last series compared to its first couple, and I don't mean that in a bad way. Aside from series 8, I've loved every series for a totally different reason.

Someone on Twitter suggested Netflix should commission Mopeds in Macedonia. It's a shame Christmas specials are so shite because I'd like to see a catch-up episode every year or two.

Yeah, that last quote you posted is ace, Otto.

• Paid Members

I didn't start watching until it was a couple of series in but it's a serious contender for my favourite sitcom ever. Binge watched the entire thing on 4OD a couple of times. I did feel an attachment to the show and had that empty feeling  you get when you've just read a great novel.

The show evolved and was so different by the last series compared to its first couple, and I don't mean that in a bad way. Aside from series 8, I've loved every series for a totally different reason.

Someone on Twitter suggested Netflix should commission Mopeds in Macedonia. It's a shame Christmas specials are so shite because I'd like to see a catch-up episode every year or two.

Yeah, that last quote you posted is ace, Otto.

I make a similar comparison to another fave show of mine in Cheers for this. Season 1-5 was about Sam/Diane, with Shelley Long leaving the show and Kirstie Alley coming in, Seasons 6-11 became a more ensemble show.

Peep Show does the same. The real anchor of Series 1-4 is the Mark/Sophie arc. Once that reached it's natural conclusion, Series 5-9 seems to be more an ensemble effort, Jez and revolving door or women per series (Elena, Zahra) and a lot more stuff from Super Hans, Gerrard, Dobby etc. Series 1-4 (3-4 in particular) is the shows height, but Series 5 (Mark's quest for 'The One' is one of my fave series arcs) and Series 6 are incredibly strong. Even the really average Series 8 has the paintball episode. Peep Show might also have one of the best Christmas episodes ever. Mark's dad was absolutely brilliant, 'Can you put a muzzle on you're woman, please Mark?'

• Paid Members

Me and my flatmate once paraphrased Mark to get some 20somethings out of our flat from a post-area do party that they hadn't really been invited to, at like 5AM. Unfortunately the only bits I remember were turning off the XBox the instant the final whistle went in flatmate's Madrid 5 - 0 20something's Man City, throwing the curtains open to let the early morning sun come streaming in, and the end of the rant being "So go on, fuck off."

Elena the Russian emerge from Series 6 was also a great addition that should have make more than one series. 

I remember frantically Googling "Vera Filatova" and not finding what I wanted. Not EVERY Eastern European actress doubles as a saucy underwear model. Just most of them.

• Paid Members

ee6c0472-6352-46b4-bb93-0b12e157794e-620

Matt King as Super Hans is bloody wonderful. Easily the best secondary character on the show. Amazing to think Danny Dyer and Russell Brand nearly ended up playing him. Anyway, here's bong hit of Hans quotes.

Oh what? So... Mr... Ocean Colour Pants doesn't get it? Well, quelle fucking surprise.

Punch him? [holds up baseball glove] I can't even make a fist.

The secret ingredient is crime.

Oh, what? Oh, 'cause it's a computer you think it's made of spiders webs and magic? It's just a metal box Jez, they're indestructible.

People like Coldplay and voted for the Nazis. You can't trust people, Jeremy.

Listen love, just a little tip alright? You're on the edge now and you need to pick the right way. One way's heaven, and the other... well... probably best not to think about that right now... but it's fuckin' 'orrible, yeah?

Don't. Say. Crack, Jez. Yeah? Please. Not now. 'Cause you saying crack makes me think about crack and I love crack. So can you not say crack?

I'd probably be very angry with you right now, if I weren't so incredibly high.

Why didn't you tell me about the wanking-off bit?

Super Hans: Have you read the Big Beat Manifesto lately?

Jez: Did we write it down?

Super Hans: The Big Beat Manifesto goes "Big Beats are the best, Get high all the time".

Super Hans: It's a pisser though, innit - cancer. They should find a fucking cure

Mark: I think they're trying.

Super Hans: Yeah, sure they are. They should pull their fucking fingers out. It's important, Mark.

Wow, nice. Nice gun. Must be, what, a... war gun.

Jez - can you tell me, yeah, as a mate, someone who knows me really well, is the bottom half of me on fire?

Never said it was bum-rape, Mark.

Super Hans: Uh, widely acknowledged to have nicked our sound.

Jez: The Chemical Brothers.

Super Hans: Correct. Bullshitters turning wank into cash.

Jez: Flaming Lips?

Super Hans: Correct. Oh, arsehole.

Jez: LCD Soundsystem.

Super Hans: Fakers.

Jez: Pavement.

Super Hans: Yep. Oh, we thought we had her number, and you got a bit over-excited, but it turned out not to be a very funny joke?

Jez: Lily Allen.

Super Hans: Correct. Phonies.

Jez: Foo Fighters.

Super Hans: Yeah. Oh, demanded the Ramsgate blowjob.

Jez: Mumford & Sons?

Super Hans: Mmmm.

Archived