Your Fondest Survivor Series Memory (87-99)

Liam O'Rourke

• Paid Members

I don't think you can have a full discussion on this subject without mentioning the 1997 one - even though it's not neccessarily a highlight.

It's a good one for "memorable" but this is "fondest" / favourite.

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A question for Liam. When are you going to do the Oct-Dec 97 Monday Night War timeline?

Also Liam, stop fucking about and crack on with the Monday Night War Timeline please.

Next one will be in two or three weeks I believe, currently gathering the notes for it and I'm already excited to do it, it feels like every quarter we do just gets more and more surreal as we go along.

1990 was the first SS I ever saw, having borrowed it on tape from a mate and taken it to a 24 hour wargames marathon being held at my school. We didn't have Sky at the time so my regular wrestling viewing was basically WCW Worldwide on ITV which I would record and watch before school. I kept up with WWF through their magazine and occasional viewing of Superstars or Challenge at mates' houses.

Anyway, a few of us who were into wrestling commandeered a TV / Video unit during said marathon and I stuck the tape in. I remember thinking the first match was poor and LOD Animal's punches were visibly missing by miles. Quite embarassing. Things picked up for me when DiBiase introduced his mystery partner.

This was the first time I had ever come across a wrestler who I was used to seeing on another show jump ship and be wrestling for the competition. I of course proceeded to play the know it all and proclaim to my mates that it was just Mean Mark Callous from WCW, he was shit and they have probably brought him in to fight Hogan and we'll never see him again after that.

Good call.

A question for Liam. When are you going to do the Oct-Dec 97 Monday Night War timeline?

Also Liam, stop fucking about and crack on with the Monday Night War Timeline please.

Next one will be in two or three weeks I believe, currently gathering the notes for it and I'm already excited to do it, it feels like every quarter we do just gets more and more surreal as we go along.

Yeah looking forward to hearing the thoughts along with the Observer notes on the death of Pillman, Montreal, Rude showing up on a live Nitro and taped Raw on the same night, Vince officially starting the Attitude Era and Bret making his debut on Nitro.

Two fond memories for me are the main event for the inaugural Survivor Series in '87, and also the main event of the '92 edition. For the former, the crowd was unbelievably hot, really hooked into every move, and the match pretty much made Bam Bam Bigelow a bigger star overnight (even though he ultimately lost). It's a shame Bigelow didn't amount to too much after this during his first run with the WWF. Rick Rude also stood out in this match: although he was the smallest guy by some margin, he was easily the most entertaining to watch.

As for 1992, I remember feeling that the Bret Hart vs Shawn Michaels title vs title match was a turning point of sorts for WWF. Making wholesale changes after the fallout of the steroid scandal, it was encouraging, yet also somewhat slightly strange, seeing two smaller, younger, yet ultimately more athletic and dynamic, guys wrestle in the main event where this had been the domain of Hogan or Warrior vs (insert name of foreign menace or large monster here) for years and years, and this was a real taster for the new direction that the WWF would be heading in.

I would also like to add the two hype videos with Rick Martel's discarded 'Model' theme to kick off '89 and '90 as being guilty pleasures. It wasn't just Haku: It was HAAAAAA KUUUUUUUUUU!!!! Ahem...

Survivor Series was always the weakest big event to me. My fondest memories were as much about the build and anticipation as they were the wrestling. More often then not, the great action, excitement and noteworthy happenings tended to be a bit thin on the ground. With the exception of the fantastic '95 and '96 obviously.

That said, Marty and the Kid scoring the upset in 1993 was something special to me, that's my top memory. As much as the two of them were probably the most likeable, and best underdog babyfaces around at that time, you were never silly enough to ever expect them to actually win - especially in a match like that where they were way out of their depth, and were surely only going to be fodder for the bad guys opposite. A spirited and valient effort was the best you could expect and you'd be happy with it. Suffice to say, those two rewriting the script and somehow managing to survive was something else and an amazing moment. It also created one of the funnest (if short-lived) thrown together tag teams of all time.

• Paid Members

1989 for me. I think it was the first VHS I got as a child. I remember being drawn to all of the teams laid out on the back of the case and thinking it was quite unique for the Hart Foundation to be separated in two different matches, which was a bit odd at the time. And Bad News Brown replacing someone advertised on the case in the opening match and doing what Bad News did and cunted off his team mates.

If you ever need an explanation as to why a lot of 80s wrestlers died young you need to look no further than the opening "I'm thankful for" video montage. The majority of the roster are roided to the hilt and appear coked out of their most likely shrunken minds. Roddy Piper's part is particularly impressive nonsense. I can only assume these we're taped during one of the famed 10 hour tv tapings.

I want to thank everybody for the contributions, we got to read many of them on the show, which is now available at the following link:

http://squaredcirclegazette.podbean.com/mf/web/8t4upi/SCGRadio59-HistoryoftheSurvivorSeriesPart1.mp3

Join us as we discuss every Survivor Series from 1987 to 1999! Talking about the show's battle for relevance and identity in its early years, we also take your feedback on your fondest Survivor Series memories from this period, and go over each installment of the Thanksgiving Eve Tradition, the key matches, the dynamic of the show, fun nostalgia, and much more. A really fun trip down memory lane this week, check it out and let us know what you think!

• Paid Members

Listened to the first 30 minutes last night - really enjoying it. I echo the sentiments about the big, bold, camp 80s WWF being best shown off in the 89/90 opens with the team names, glorious graphics and Vince's voiceover.

I always looked forward to Survivors as I was growing up as the elimination format felt unique, up until 1999 when there were bigger, better 8-man eliminators on free TV twice (Austin/Rock captained teams vs DX) in the build-up than at the actual show. Even into the post-Attitude/today "meh" era where virtually no match-ups are preserved, everyone's over-exposed to buggery and everybody's wrestled everybody else already, The format lends itself to really easy storytelling and occasionally "breaking the glass ceiling" eliminations of big names by midcarders, even if these days they're hardly ever followed up on correctly.

Just as an aside to the mention of the cheap count-out and DQ eliminations in the earlier shows (1990 is especially shocking for this) it's worth remembering that at the time, the Survivor Series PPV is a bump in the road, the real money was still the house show circuit, so you didn't want to give away anything decisive between Hogan v Earthquake, Jake v The Model, LOD v Demolition etc, as you wanted the fans in every town in the country to pay to come see those issues get "settled" in person.

Keeping value to something really is a lost art, now that I think about it.

I would also like to add the two hype videos with Rick Martel's discarded 'Model' theme to kick off '89 and '90 as being guilty pleasures. It wasn't just Haku: It was HAAAAAA KUUUUUUUUUU!!!! Ahem...

Did Martel have another theme?! 

Has to be Hulk Hogan v Undertaker from 1991 for me. It was the build that got me hooked on wrestling - the indestuctible zombie (in my 9 year old mind) vs Hulk Hogan, who NEVER loses. I had not long go into the colourful characters and whacky, cartoon characters-come-to-life WWF and was already a fan but it was the prospect of these two superheroes colliding for the ultimate prize that tipped my fandom over the edge. That was it. I lost my mind on wrestling.

It was YEARS before I finally saw the actual match, and it doesnt matter the quality of it - to me, it will always be THE match that I hold most fondest.

Archived