Your Fondest Survivor Series Memory (87-99)

Liam O'Rourke

• Paid Members

Listened to the show yesterday and thought it was another good one. Great contributions from here and elsewhere and some fun discussion of some really fun shows.

Like to thank the guys in this thread for the reminder of how brilliant the 1989 opening promo is. I ended up watching the whole show which is a bundle of fun. The Zeus DQ is shit. In fact his whole involvement is shit. But the rest is really solid. Never did understand why they split up the Hart Foundation. Bret vs. Savage is brilliant if too short.

Those ten team tags were my first exposure to the Powers of Pain too as mentioned by an "emailer". I thought they were incredible. Still do. Don't see why they split them considering they did fuck all afterwards.

Loved all the mentions of renting tapes from the video shop. I remember renting Survivors 91 from the video shop. I reckon it probably took me and my brothers longer to choose a tape than to watch it. The first time anyway, we watched it about ten times. That opening match in 1991 is about the most disappointing match in company history. So much talent. Such a fucking cop out.

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Im with you Rick, SS88 was the first time i'd seen 1/2 those guys.

that 5 on 5 tag-team match is still one of my top favourite matches ever. Everyone seemed to put in 100% and like i posted earlier, Barbarian was a monster here. Its a shame they split them as WWF missed the boat here. a 3 way triangle between LOD, Demolition and POP in 1990 would have been great!

Looking back i remember a few things that irked me:

1. i remember after my VHS library had swelled considerably i used to get annoyed when Bad News would walk out and the commentators acted like it was new (and hadn't happened the previous year).

2. Jannetty or Michaels does the hip-toss spin into a standing position in 88 and then in 89 they act like its never been seen before.

even though i was about 10 or 11 i picked up on this and remember thinking "why dont they remember this from last year"

i also remember and this  irked me even then:

SS 89: Duggan gives Savage (whose tied up in the ropes) an elbow to the head and clearly pulls it an inch to early - really took me out of it.

I do think SS90 was a breakout moment for Bret though. That whole Dibiase thing had you on the edge of your seat as Dibiase was considered a higher league than Bret then and it was really "will he, wont he" stuff!

Im with you Rick, SS88 was the first time i'd seen 1/2 those guys.

that 5 on 5 tag-team match is still one of my top favourite matches ever. Everyone seemed to put in 100% and like i posted earlier, Barbarian was a monster here. Its a shame they split them as WWF missed the boat here. a 3 way triangle between LOD, Demolition and POP in 1990 would have been great!

Looking back i remember a few things that irked me:

1. i remember after my VHS library had swelled considerably i used to get annoyed when Bad News would walk out and the commentators acted like it was new (and hadn't happened the previous year).

2. Jannetty or Michaels does the hip-toss spin into a standing position in 88 and then in 89 they act like its never been seen before.

even though i was about 10 or 11 i picked up on this and remember thinking "why dont they remember this from last year"

i also remember and this  irked me even then:

SS 89: Duggan gives Savage (whose tied up in the ropes) an elbow to the head and clearly pulls it an inch to early - really took me out of it.

I do think SS90 was a breakout moment for Bret though. That whole Dibiase thing had you on the edge of your seat as Dibiase was considered a higher league than Bret then and it was really "will he, wont he" stuff!

Ha!! I got Survivor Series '89 on video for Christmas when I was about 8, I still thought it was real but couldn't really say anything when that happened, my Dad pissed himself at how far away it was from hitting, thinking about it now surely he could've just hit him on top of his head with his bicep full force so it would've looked like an elbow but wouldn't have done any damage at all, Duggan can fuck right off for destroying kayfabe for me

lol i thought it was still real then to, and that did get me! It was the foot stomp and furious look Duggan Gave when he did it but there was absolutely no connection at all lol.

after that it was never the same. shortly after i saw Luger take a bump from a missed dropkick (prob on youtube somewhere) on a WCW show that i taped at about 3am on ITV. 

Yeah once it's gone it's gone, though Piper's punch to Goldust on the car bonnet at Mania 12 a few years later (I got the SS '89 tape for Christmas '92) had me wondering whether it was definitely all fake

I know it's a bit late now but just remembered another Survivor Series botch, or at least I think it was a botch, was Bulldog trying to break up a fall in the Wild Card match at the '95 show, everyone just sort of looks at him like he's fucked up

My fondest memory was from the 1992 Survivor Series. It was the first time I had seen Bret Vs Shawn and the first time I had seen the "catch a dropkick from the ropes into Sharpshooter finish combo" We would see this again from the Hitman in the Iron Man match and the 123 kid Raw match but that first time was awesome! Always came across as a trick Bret had up his sleeve to grab the win. That finish to Bret's matches was only really rivalled by his sleeper/turnbuckle flip pin he used on Piper and Austin.

I'm a big Bret fan.

Archived