10 years since 1PW

martinQblank

Looking back, despite the tens of thousands spent by 1PW over the years I don't think that many have fond memories. They certainly did nothing to help the British scene, only line the pockets of journeyman Americans.

The only show I attended was a snooze fest, which seemed to last an eternity, to their credit though the place was packed.

Thoughts?

In the short term, it was a big deal. Those first few shows had us all blown away with the talent coming over etc, which was only good for the UK scene. 

Then the problems started, and it just went further and further down hill.

• Paid Members

In the short term, it was a big deal. Those first few shows had us all blown away with the talent coming over etc, which was only good for the UK scene. 

Then the problems started, and it just went further and further down hill.

I'd be interested to hear how...?

I loved 1pw!! I got to meet so many wrestlers, see loads of great matches, get drunk as hell and then hit the strippers in donny. All thanks to them. It was ace. I wish it was still around. Was at almost every single show. Never done that for any other UK promotion.

Used to go to 1PW quite a bit back in the day - from the shows at the Dome to the ones at the Granby.

Cool to see the international talent live and up close and there were some memorable moments - Spud's insane somersault dive off the balcony, Ulf Herman catching on fire, the UKs first ever No-Ropes Barbed Wire match (even if I was sat next to some dickhead family who did their best to be a pain in the arse the entire time), Kid Kash going into business for himself and dragging the ringside photographer into his match with Pac to name a few.

• Paid Members

The book is fantastic because it manages to get quotes from almost everyone that was involved. British wrestlers happily charging Gauntley double because he'd pay it, flying over American refs, Trav getting the shit kicked out of him by Kevin Thorne, deciding that their home grown star should be SJK and essentially flying him over to stand next to Abyss. So much crazy.

Archived