The UKFF's Greatest Song thread.

TAP Management

Big Mountain is surely going to be their cover of Peter Frampton.

The Mavericks are a shoe in to show up on this list somewhere

Had to Google Peter Frampton, yes it is.

My music knowledge is limited to Heart FM, Radio 1, Viva and Now CDs. (way back it was TOTP and Longwave Radio Atlantic 252!)

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Longwave Radio Atlantic 252 was incredible back in the day.

To try to clear up the type of thong I'm after so far nominations have included songs by the following :

Britney Spears

Backstreet Boys

ABBA

Ricky Martin

Human League

To be fair, I would only be interested in seeing Britneys thong out of that lot.

• Moderators

If it's best pop song ever you'd think Elvis or The Beatles would have to walk it. Best pop song is too wide a church for a decent countdown I think, although I'm led to believe by pop song, TAP means cheese as opposed to pop which encompasses like pretty much most music released.

• Moderators

Maybe there should be a qualification that any song you nominate has to have charted in the top 40/100/whatever?

Something like that perhaps. I'm just spit balling here, since this is all so poorly defined right now.

And if you only want modern pop then time box it.

And if you only want shit cheesy bullshit then.. Uh. I dunno. Tell us clearly, so we can all give no shits about this thing..?

Apologies, hopefully I can clear up any confusion in this post.

I'm looking for songs that meet the following criteria.

Only songs that have been in the Official UK Singles Chart from its inception in 1969 until today are eligible for nomination.

The Official UK Singles chart is not to be confused with any other chart which ran before or alongside it.

For simplicity, all genres of music are eligible so long as it meets the above criteria.

'69? The 60's are possibly the finest decade of music and you're wiping pretty much all of them out?

Exactly this. And almost all popular songs since then by their nature will have placed in the charts at some point which is the only really variable OP is giving for this thread. So it's pretty much "what's your favourite song ever?" which is too broad a scope to make a decent discussion from.

• Moderators

I don't think it's the most workable idea for a countdown, to be honest. There's been 1,200 number ones since 1969. Just number ones, never mind other chart entries. There's far too many songs in the world for it to work. Even with the remit changing from 1990-2015 then it suffers for music from 1990-2015 being quite shit compared to the classics from before then. You'll struggle to get a consensus on the songs as there's just too many. Best albums ever would be workable maybe, but singles is too broad a church.

Archived