UFC 191: Johnson vs Dodson 2

wandshogun09

Who wins and how?  

17 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

Only just got around to watching the build-up stuff for this.

Looking at the card, it is a really strong lineup. It's understandably got less discussion than recent PPVs because UFC 187-190 were all either crazy stacked or had at least one really big name headlining. But this is really a sleeper card, it's full of what I think will be excellent fights.

Even though some people find the Mighty Mouse factor off-putting, even that should be offset to some degree because he's fighting probably his biggest threat in Dodson. That instantly makes it significantly more interesting than Johnson's last few title defences.

Then you've got Arlovski vs Mir which has the weird combination of current relevancy and the nostalgia factor. Rumble vs Manuwa is going to be pure violence. Paige VanZant never stops moving so her fight should be all-action. Lineker vs Rivera is as sure fire a slugfest as you can book. Even the Andrade vs Pennington fight on the prelims interests me. They fought before at UFC 170-something and it was a really fun little scrap. Hoping this one's similar. Really strong card.

6mdij.jpg

Going for Mighty Mouse on points again.

I think Dodson's tough enough to see the final bell but I don't see him having quite enough to outwork Johnson. Should be exciting again though because Dodson's got the speed to keep up with DJ, at least in the first few rounds, and he's got KO power so at least he has the punchers chance. And who knows? He's dropped Mouse before, who's to say he can't do it again? In the end though, I just think it's DJ's time. He won the first fight and I think he's the one who's actually improved more of the two since. Dodson's had some lacklustre performances and he's had some injury setbacks as well, while Johnson's been building on his overall game, his momentum and his confidence.

nI4LA.jpg

I'll have Arlovski by KO/TKO within two rounds.

In some ways this is a bit of a coin flip in that neither have been the most reliable or durable heavyweights in the past. And ever since Arlovski started getting back on track, I've just been waiting for it to all go wrong again. Hopefully he'll keep the wins coming because it's been great to see. I think he should really be winning this fight as well. Mir's dangerous everywhere for three minutes or so but I think Arlovski's the much better overall striker and I rate his sprawl too so I think he'll be able to keep it on the feet. That's a fight he should win all day. But again - heavyweights with little gloves + Mir's power + Arlovski's chin = fuck knows what happens really.

tOQaw.jpg

Rumble by KO/TKO.

Although I'd love to see Manuwa knock him out. Really soured on Rumble the more I read about him outside the cage and I quite like Manuwa. So I'm hoping for a Poster Boy KO. Could happen as well. When's the last time Rumble fought a striker as dangerous Manuwa. There was Arlovski and Mike Kyle in WSOF but Kyle's just a slugger. I think Manuwa's striking is way better than Kyle's and more varied than Arlovski's. He's a brutal kicker and knee-er. I think what's going to end up happening though is Rumble's going to dust off his wrestling early to try to tire Manuwa out. Whether that works or not we'll find out but I think that'll be the plan. I can see it working and him ending up stopping Manuwa with ground and pound.

Rest of the card, I've got;

VanZant by TKO - just think she'll overwhelm Chambers. I like Chambers but she's not going to keep up with PVZ's pace IMO.

Lineker points - maybe? I don't know with this one. Rivera's tough as nails and Lineker's coming up in weight. Should be stupidly exciting to watch whatever happens.

Oh and watching Embedded, Arlovski comes across as such a nice bloke. He's like a big kid. Look at him...

GrWfy.jpg

I hope he wins.

I still think the winner of Arlovski vs Mir is the frontrunner for the next title shot after Werdum vs Cain 2 as well. As mental as that seems in 2015.

• Paid Members

Thinking about the heavyweight title picture again, who do you lot think should get the next shot after Cain gets his rematch with Werdum?

Winner of Arlovski vs Mir?

Winner of JDS vs Overeem?

Who'd deserve the title shot more, in your opinion?

My initial thought was the Arlovski-Mir winner but whoever comes out on top of JDS vs Overeem is going to be coming off a big win in a grudge match. If JDS wins he'd be coming off back-to-back wins over Miocic and Overeem. If Overeem wins he'd be 3-0 in his last 3, with wins over Struve, Nelson and JDS. I mean, these are title shot worthy runs to rival Arlovski's or Mir's recent streaks.

I guess it depends on upcoming results, right? Like if Cain beats Werdum in the rematch and JDS beats Overeem, they're not likely to go with Cain vs JDS 4, are they? At least I hope not, for JDS's health. So they'd probably go with Cain vs the Arlovski/Mir winner in that scenario. If Werdum beats Cain though, Werdum vs JDS 2 would be great. That's a very intriguing rematch at this point for me. Given Werdum's rise and JDS's rough couple of years.

Whatever the case, Arlovski vs Mir has high stakes tonight. The winner will be right in line for that next crack.

I was watching Embedded earlier and when you really stop and think about Frank Mir's career, it's fucking mad. He burst into the UFC all babyfaced as a complete BJJ guy in his early 20s. Looked awesome in some fights, sloppy in others. Snapped Tim Sylvia's forearm in half to win the title. Then almost died in a motorcycle crash.

The doctors were telling him he mightn't ever walk again, let alone fight. What's really nuts is, not only did he fight again, he actually had his best years to come as a fighter. Nobody would've ever guessed that in a million years watching his absolute turd showings against Christison, Cruz and Vera. Imagine in 2006, someone telling you that Frank Mir would be the first man to both TKO and submit Big Nog? Going off both guys' form at that point, you'd have them sectioned. Once Mir got past those few awful comeback fights, the Lesnar win seemed to kick start his career again and he actually had his best years in-cage, post-motorcycle crash. It's easy to forget with his inconsistency and some truly terrible performances (in victory and defeat), but Frank Mir's success from 2007 on was quite remarkable considering what he had to come back from.

Still a twat though.

• Paid Members

yep, Mir's run has been amazing really. I've never been a big fan and i've ripped on the guy many times over the course of his career but you have to respect him for what he's achieved, unreal.

I think the winner of Arlovski/Mir gets the shot unless the fight is a total stinker. I just feel the UFC capitalises on the winner's momentum. I give neither man much chance of beating Cain (who i think beats Werdum in the rematch), but the story's in line for them to lock it down.

That was not a good show. Like, not at all.

When the biggest winners of the night are Mighty Mouse and the clinch, you know you're in for a rough ride.

Frank Mir's a fucking idiot. He probably should have won that fight but by spending a round an a half stood entirely still trying to do..something, he allowed Arlovski just to keep scoring points. Terrible fight.

Jesus. How deflating.

Though I had to laugh at the thought of Dana thinking 'it's alright though, I've booked Manuwa/Johnson next. That'll liven things...oh, good, more clinching'

• Paid Members

Yeah, wasn't much cop was it? Lineker vs Rivera was about as tremendous a two minute fight as you'll ever see though. That was brilliant. I enjoyed Pennington vs Andrade 2 a lot as well actually.

The rest was all ranging from underwhelming to utter shite.

Pearson/Felder was decent as well, though not as good as Rogan and Goldberg were saying it was.

Main card was an absolute bore, as was the main event really - it'll do nothing to stop the DJ detractors going as well.

Did you manage to get freebies, Bifkin?

I'd fucking hope so, that building didn't look half full from certain angles.

Bit of a sorry state of affairs for anyone paying via PPV out in the US when the free prelims where miles better than anything on the actual paid card. I'd be after a refund.

• Paid Members

The highlight of the show was that great DC video package where he talks about all his set backs.

I can't remember last time a PPV felt so underwhelming and awfully dull. It's funny because going in folk were saying the card lacks a big time fight, but it was loaded with great stylistic match ups etc - turns out the card had nowt. Dana looked well pissed off at the end.

Fat Mir lost, though, so wasn't a total turd.

Frank looks so unathletic, doesn't he?!

Like, Rogan and Goldie were talking about how he's packed in the weights and does a lot of Bodyweight and movement flows so he could move more freely and all that bollocks. Then the minute he started fighting he moved as if he was the heaviest man on earth and was about as dynamic as an old boot.

Fucking useless.

Sucks to be Arlovski, too. He may have won, but that fight managed to put the fire out on both their resurgences. It made you realise how it easy it is to fight in a vacuum in the heavyweight division, and con people into thinking you're the next baddest man on the planet. Then you meet Cain. Or Werdum. Or JDS. And you get dead.

Watching Mir/Arlovski made me realise that the heavyweight division revolves around 3 people, and that either one of those two would get fucking murdered in a title fight. Which is fine if its Fat Frank, but I don't really want to see nice Andre get deaded by Cain.

Archived