TRIPLE H - 'He was never a great wrestler'

Michael_3165

• Paid Members

Are you honestly crediting Triple H for the boom period of the attitude era?

No, he isn't crediting Trips for the boom at all. What he said, word for word, was "He was the main event during WWE's best and hottest period, business-wise." And he's right. The WWF had its best year in 2000, and the main event was essentially Rock VS Triple H for most of that year, and Hunter working the top match with Cactus or Austin most months he wasn't working. To put words in Colin's mouth like that is quite frankly embarrassing.

Pretty much this.

2000 was a year when they were loaded with super talent and if Triple H truly wasn't holding up his end of things he would have been dropped from his position, where he was all over their highly rated telly shows. Was he the Rock. no, but he was the perfect foe for The Rock/Foley etc during that time.

Yeah, I'm very embarrassed to have used statistical evidence to prove a point, rather than relying on broad generalisations, falsities or pure nonsense.

And the crazy thing is, this is his most successful year, and it's still not very impressive at all. Triple H is not a draw.

What's that now?

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yes, I was being sarcastic. I referenced WrestleMania 26 and 27 because they annihilate the "talent doesn't matter, Mania sells itself" nonsense.

Terrible attempt at sarcasm then. And even without the part time talent it did 400,000 more buys than the second highest PPV that year, so to say Mania doesn't get a bump just for being Mania is wrong.

And even without the part time talent it did 400,000 more buys than the second highest PPV that year, so to say Mania doesn't get a bump just for being Mania is wrong.

Who said it?

You did, by comparing one Mania to another, which is completely irrelevant to this conversation. You've also successfully shifted the conversation from a debate on Triple H to one of banality and tedium. Well done.

He'd be a different superstar if he never married into the family. I like him, and he does indeed put on great matches over the years and works hard as hell, even when burying people (maybe a bit too much). But if he never married into the McMahons and was a regular superstar for years like Edge, Cena, Orton etc. it would have been interesting to see where he'd end up.

Rock left

Austin left

HHH I reckon would have been where Batista was for all those years - around and on top, but not all the time.

• Paid Members

He'd already gotten himself into the position of top heel and being prepared for a title reign before there was anything between him and Steph, much less marriage. He wouldn't have got into such a great position and maintained it if someone would have come along that could have been as good a candidate for top heel. Was there one?

There wasn't one, and he was in Vince's ear for years before he had anything to do with Stephanie anyway. Even if Vince never had a daughter, Hunter was the only one of the Kliq who wasn't a greedy fuck-up. He was in the holy attitude era trinity with Rock and Austin -- he was far lower than those two, but he'd still have been the last one of them left by the day after SummerSlam 2002, so he'd still have been the man there.

Archived