Wrestling Training

DVDBellator

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've been at Futureshock's school in Manchester for almost a year now. Decided right from the beginning that I wanted to be involved without being a wrestler since my knees were shot from dodgy bowling technique when playing cricket and committed to training as a referee. I still train and put in a lot of work at sessions both with refereeing and doing various drills and exercises.

I put a ton of work in throughout the autumn and managed to get the opportunity to start working on shows which is something I absolutely love getting the chance to do. I'm still working hard, but it's a great feeling knowing that I'm (hopefully) improving at such leaps each time I'm in the ring. 

Never ever taken part in any sort of training, being originally from the Aberdeen area I didn't know of anywhere you could do such a thing. I think I'd love being a referee, that's my sort of thing. Feeling like you're in control of something, but not having all the attention on you.

• Paid Members

Most fun I ever had and the best shape I've ever been in when i gave it a try.

Great confidence boost too.

Id love to get back to it, but being so naturally un-athletic I had to work twice as hard just to be mediocre and I can barely stay awake as it is doing next to nothing these days.

I gave it a go for 6 months about 10 years ago. It was about 9 months after I'd suffered a fairly serious assault and I didn't realise until I started training that it had caused me to be unable to do a basic front flip properly, and I couldn't flip bump properly because if it. I also had no feeling behind my left knee at the time (has mostly come back since) and that sometimes caused issues with running in the ring if it was crowded. Ultimately i'm probably just noth athletic enough alongside this stuff to make a proper go of it.

It's been my dream since I was about 3 years old, and now at 6 foot 2 and a lean 15 stone I wouldn't be too out of place. The trouble is between work and family I struggle to get to the gym two or three times per week never mind taking on something extra. Also, at almost 33, I suspect I'm a bit old to start now. It's a shame though because I still day-dream about it now!

And yeah it's still in Birtley mate. I might pop down a week Monday and spectate a session first.

Pfft, dive straight in. You'll love it if it's your first session.

It'd be my first session in about 5 years, I didn't do to much training with IWF or CRW got passed the basic pretty much though.

I found that 6 six sided CRW ring way harder to bump on than any 4 sided rings I'd ever used before and that put me off.

• Paid Members

And yeah it's still in Birtley mate. I might pop down a week Monday and spectate a session first.

It'd be my first session in about 5 years, I didn't do to much training with IWF or CRW got passed the basic pretty much though.

I found that 6 six sided CRW ring way harder to bump on than any 4 sided rings I'd ever used before and that put me off.

Ah, yes. The CRW ring. I remember my first bump in that ring and thinking, "Fuck, that was stiffer than I expected." It was harder than wZw’s low-ceiling ring, and that was a converted boxing ring I think with very little give!

Ah, yes. The CRW ring. I remember my first bump in that ring and thinking, "Fuck, that was stiffer than I expected." It was harder than wZw’s low-ceiling ring, and that was a converted boxing ring I think with very little give!

It had to be the hardest center spring loaded ring i've ever felt, i doubt i could take bumps on that every week.

• Paid Members

I spent some time training with RBW in Enfield years ago. Can't remember how long I was doing it for, a few months I guess. I'm just not athletic or coordinated enough for it. However, I can now call people stupid marks who've never taken a bump.

• Paid Members

I started training in 2004 and did it continuously until 2009, took a long break through injury, then went back for a bit and did it on and off until 2012.

I can't begin to describe how much I miss it. As others have said, I was in the best shape of my life, had the most confidence and had some of the best times. I even look back now with fondness on getting the absolute shit kicked out of me on my first tour of the camps.

I'm tubby and out of shape now, and having some issues with my knees again (not wrestling related. I actually had no issues with my knees while I was wrestling), so I'm having to accept that there's a very high chance I won't ever do it again.

But yeah. All those backstage shenanigans, road trips, forgetting you're in a boxing ring and taking a back body drop, making some flippy spot monkey panic because you've put him in a top wristlock and won't let him grab the ropes.

And being an officially recognised SHITARSE, obviously.

I asked this on here a while ago but didn't follow through with it.

If I were to look into becoming a manager, what's way to go about it? Film myself doing some promos and contact a promoter directly? I hate the idea of working for free but I'd be willing to do 6 months of shows for free and about 6 months thereafter of doing shows for travel costs. After that, I'll have built a name and enough footage to charge if I'm good enough. 

• Paid Members

Sending promo tapes in blind is unlikely to get you booked. You'll still need to learn to bump.

Contact a reputable school and be up front with them about what your end goal is.

Archived