Wrestling Training

DVDBellator

I was just wondering how many of you on here actually part take in wrestling training of sorts? I'm looking at getting back into it after doing a little bit with the IWF years back.

Is there anyone in the North East/Tyne & Wear who is interested in going to the NGW UK training on Mondays near Durham? Would be good to go with someone who is wanting to get into traininer or back into training like myself.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

I've done it on and off for ten years, never stepped in the ring though. Been thinking of taking it back up again though as I've started at the gym, and I was never fitter than when I was doing wrestling training!

That's interesting. I trained for 2 years and the end game was always actually having matches, of which I had a handful (and wasn't very good.) I can't imagine taking the bumps without an idea that it was in preperation to work a match.

I play a lot of Racket Sports and Football and do Circuit Training, but nothing compares to how hard wrestling training was.

I'm definitely prone to the same nagging feeling as Linus & wondering how I'd fare if I tried it again (although having hit 30, that seems a bad idea). Part of me thinks there'd be a market there for some kind of Boxcercise equivilent, but again, unless we're talking crash mats, bumping in a ring doesn't seem ideal if your goal was fitness rather than to make it in the business.

• Paid Members

Because of doing it on and off, I’ve also had a hesitation because I didn’t feel as though I had everything down. I can bump, I can run the ropes, I can execute throws and slams. But chain wrestling and planning a match is where I don’t feel comfortable in. I don’t feel confident that I could go out and go through say, a 10-minute match without forgetting/blowing spots, and I’m not confident that I could cover those points in a match. Also, I need to improve my chain-wrestling game. I know basic counters and that’s it. I’d love to be able to escape holds in the seamless, fancy manner you’d see from someone like Doug Williams.

Don’t get me wrong, I’d love to step out from behind the curtain and wrestle. But I feel as though I have a way to go before I’m at a level of competency to be able to do that.

• Moderators

Slightly OT but I've wanted to be a wresting manager for a while now. There's juice in this steak. 

I could bore you for ages (2 minutes) telling the story of how I was meant to manage then the promoter changed his mind as he didn't want to pay extra money for an MC and Manager when he could have no manager, have me MC and only have to pay one wage :( :(

• Paid Members

I gave up when my idea of being Carlton Palmer, a deranged individual who believes he is in fact former Leeds United player Carlton Palmer was deemed an unworkable gimmick

That's a problem with them, not you :)

• Paid Members

I trained with trowbridge based UCW back when I was 18, stayed there for a few years and moved onto 4FW when they first started up, however a bad back injury suffered in training once, knocked my confidence and I've never really felt comfortable in the ring since.  It still gives me grief from time to time.  As for confidence, flip bumps I used to be able to do with no issue, now - their scare the living shit out of me because I keep thinking i'll Land on my head.

Part of me wants to get back into it, but I'm not sure how long my back would hold out for,

Because of doing it on and off, I’ve also had a hesitation because I didn’t feel as though I had everything down. I can bump, I can run the ropes, I can execute throws and slams. But chain wrestling and planning a match is where I don’t feel comfortable in. I don’t feel confident that I could go out and go through say, a 10-minute match without forgetting/blowing spots, and I’m not confident that I could cover those points in a match. Also, I need to improve my chain-wrestling game. I know basic counters and that’s it. I’d love to be able to escape holds in the seamless, fancy manner you’d see from someone like Doug Williams.

Don’t get me wrong, I’d love to step out from behind the curtain and wrestle. But I feel as though I have a way to go before I’m at a level of competency to be able to do that.

You're local to Newcastle aren't you? Would you be interested in giving NGW training a go in Durham?

Archived