All Time Favourite Feud, And Why?

Liam O'Rourke

I'd go for something a bit lower down the card - MVP and Matt Hardy, from 2007, I think?

WWE haven't managed to book a better md-card feud since. it made the US title kinda interesting, it incoporated quite a few different angles and matches, and really allowed MVP to shine. Shame it ended up dragging out for too long after Hardy's appendix went wrong, but even that got Hardy a massive pop at Mania 24 when he interfered in the MITB match.

I know most people woould point at McMahon/Austin, Taker/Kane or whatever, but I always like the midcard feuds when you actually get to see what the unsung guys can do.

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Chris Jericho vs Chris Benoit was the most intense and exciting feud when my wrestling fandom was still in it's infancy. I adored both men equally, I loved Benoit's ruthless character and Jericho's fan favourite persona and the Walls of Jericho and the Crippler crossface were my most emulated moves as a kid.

I think both men being presented as properly being equals made it that bit more exciting as you couldn't predict which man would get the better of the other. The ladder match at RR01 was a perfect blow off to the on-off feud before teaming up several months later.

Obviously some if not all of the enjoyment of revisiting this has gone based on Benoit.

I'll go with The Rock vs Mankind.

http://cdn.bleacherreport.net/images_root/slides/photos/000/911/658/rockmankindelbow_15649_display_image.jpg

I was 15, so I was in full "hate the top face, who is overpushed and repetitive and buries everyone" mode -- and this feud only had Austin doing cameos. Rock and Mankind were my two favourite wrestlers, both at the top of their game as characters, and they absolutely killed it for those months. I think both of them had something to prove, competing to get out from under Stone Cold's shadow, even if it was all just building to LOLAUSTINWINS at WrestleMania.

First, you had the amazing double turn at Survivor Series 1998, the perfect attitude era pay-per-view. Going into that main event, everyone was on Rocky's side. By the end of the night, complete flip. You couldn't ask for them to be set up better. Not only did you have Rock as the absolutely spot-on McMahon choice of champion, but you soon realised that Mick was an even more disgusting title prospect to them than Austin.

http://chicitysportsfan.com/wp/wp-content/uploads/2010/11/corporation.jpg

Just great interactions every week, so much fun. Their match at Rock Bottom was pretty lame and had a pathetic finish, but it still furthered their issue -- Mankind fighting the odds, and the Corporation desperately doing everything to stop a fat slob winning the WWF title.

Of course, he managed it anyway, in one of the biggest Raw moments ever. Butts in seats.

http://www.thepalaceofwisdom.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2013/04/40_RAW_12291998_0012-300x168.jpg

Then there was the brutal Rumble match, the cracking Halftime Heat match ("The Rock doesn't even know what this is!"), the double knock-out, the Last Man Standing, and all the great verbal battles in between. It's no wonder they ended up with such respect for each other and ended up being one of the greatest tag teams too.

Also, two-stripe Rock is probably my favourite Rock, and that was all during this time period.

Honourable mention: Mick Foley vs Triple H. In 1997, and again in 2000, these two just brought out the best in each other. Triple H made Cactus Jack in the WWF (twice), and Mick cemented HHH as a genuine top star.

Edit: For some reason, it didn't let me hotlink the images.

Mine's Rock/HHH in 2000, even though they only had the two one on one PPV matches, the feud had sort of built up since '98 so it had all that backstory, the Backlash and Judgement Day matches are in many ways definitive Atttitude era PPV main events and they were the two biggest stars in what's probably WWE's greatest ever calendar year, just a shame they didn't have a proper blow off Hell in a Cell at Fully Loaded or Summerslam that year

Edge is my favourite. Transitioned from best tag team ever to one of the best singles baddies ever, and has so many classic moments and matches to his name. His WrestleMania main event is still the best one in my eyes, and greatest of all time John Cena considers him the Einstein of wrestling.

His WrestleMania main event is still the best one in my eyes

Do you mean his Undertaker match? If so, I'm going to disagree but that's only a testament to how good the HBK and Triple H matches were. The Edge vs Undertaker match was still insanely good and I probably rewatch it more than any of the others.

You know, I've never thought of E&C as being the best tag team ever but now mention it I can't think of anyone I'd put above them. Dudleyz at a push.

And I'm finding it more and more difficult to argue against John Cena being the goat. 

His WrestleMania main event is still the best one in my eyes

Do you mean his Undertaker match? If so, I'm going to disagree but that's only a testament to how good the HBK and Triple H matches were. The Edge vs Undertaker match was still insanely good and I probably rewatch it more than any of the others.

Yeah, the Undertaker one. The Taker vs Michaels match that went on last paled in comparison to the year before, so it felt like a bit of a letdown. As far as Mania show-closers go, my list is:

1) Undertaker vs Edge, WM24

2) Rock vs Austin, WM17

3) Bryan vs Batista vs Orton, WM30

4) Hogan vs Warrior, WM6 (this might be number 3 most days)

5) Undertaker vs Michaels, WM26

Come to think of it, WrestleMania's often had the last match overshadowed by something earlier on the show.

I don't remember Undertaker/Edge being anything special at all, but it always seems to get really high praise from people with a bit of nous. It might be because I sometimes struggle to properly invest in matches where the face is much more physically imposing than the heel, as is the case with those two. Also because Edge is rubbish.

That said, I don't think I've seen it since it aired live. Might try to have a crafty watch on my lunch hour.

Come to think of it, WrestleMania's often had the last match overshadowed by something earlier on the show.

Completely. I'm going to have to rewatch the Bryan, Orton, Batista 3-way now. Remember thinking it was gold as it happened but haven't seen it since. WM30 was the most I've enjoyed a Wrestlemania since 17. I loves me a PPV with a show-long storyline like Bryan's title chase.

• Paid Members

Canada Vs USA 97.  Incredible feud with white hot crowds.  Bret Hart, Bulldog, Austin, HBK, Taker etc all involved at some point, all fantastic workers at the time (and in general).  97 was the best year in wrestling ever

Edge has rarely ever clicked with me for whatever reason. I thought he was fairly likable as a bland babyface but I was apathetic towards him as a heel. I never cared much about him one way or the other. I remember him having good matches with Cena but I also remember some of them feeling bland. I didn't care one iota about Edge vs Undertaker. And I'm normally into Taker. There's just something about Edge that for the most part doesn't really grab me. He's probably got the technique, and plenty of people rate him, but I've just never really connected to him.

Archived